Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smittybilt bumpers??????

So i was looking at bumpers online. I like the look of the smittybuilt (scr) front and rear. the front has a stinger and tow light mounts in the bumper aswell as two at the top of the stinger. i was thinking of cutting those off and rewelding them straight across the front inside the stinger. the rears are nice because they have a bit of a roll pan looking set of tubes on the bottom, and the spare tire carrier looked sturdy. plus it has a built in reciever. now my question is, does anyone have one of these? how does the rear tire carrier latch and open? is there a handle? i couldnt tell from the pics. any info ya'll can dig up for me would be great.

Thanks Hurricane
    Last edited by The-Hurricane; 02-08-09, 08:49 PM.

I had the front bumper and liked it. but your right there is no tow hooks on it. I hit it many times and no probs from it. I winched off it many times. And I added holes on the ends for putting the rubi fogs on them.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Hurricane, I am a new guy here and just noticed your post. Is building your own an option? If you already have the tools to cut off the light mounts and re-welding them back on, and if you have a local steel supply business nearby, maybe you could save some cash and build your own. The swing-a-way tire carrier hinge and latch are readily available on line, and you can even buy just the stinger tube from jeeptubes.com and weld it on to your homemade front bumper. I hand built both of mine and would be more than happy to send you some measurements and pictures if you like. Here are a few of mine:

Comment

The Smittybilt bumpers are good for the price. They have them made in China, and sometimes the quality isn't consistent, but you can't beat the price.

I used to carpool with the president of Smittybily. It was amusing to listen to him making his deals...remember that they will always have their stuff built by the cheapest supplier.
        '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I've never been impressed with the durability of tube bumpers in rocky environments. They bend and dent very easily. But, if you are not tackling aggressive trails, then that bumper should work out nicely for you.
          Smittybilt has been around for a long time and I have never heard anything negative about their products.

I have a similar latching mechanism on my Warn bumper/tire carrier and it works. It's NOT the most elegant way to latch a tire carrier, but it works.

I would weld the latching mechanism to the rest of the carrier as it will come loose and not function effectively over time and abuse.
          Money pit!

Comment

i dont really have to worry about rocks here on the prairies...mostly mud. looks easy to clean. i could home make my own stuff, i have a welder, grinder, torches, access to a pipe bender ect. but i just dont have the time...and time is money these days. anyone know good suppliers to order from? what is smittybilts warranty like? i hope i dont have to order from cali...or atleast get free shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
              i dont really have to worry about rocks here on the prairies...mostly mud. looks easy to clean. i could home make my own stuff, i have a welder, grinder, torches, access to a pipe bender ect. but i just dont have the time...and time is money these days. anyone know good suppliers to order from? what is smittybilts warranty like? i hope i dont have to order from cali...or atleast get free shipping.
              Try Quadratec.com....You will pay for shipping no matter where these ship from. Without having to worry about many rocks the Smittybilt bumpers should work nicely for you! You should take a look at the Smittybilt website for their warranty info.
              Money pit!

Comment

These look like the RRC bumpers from Smittybuilt. My wife and I have them front & rear on our jeeps. They do not have integral tow hooks, but the front does have tabs for D-rings. They're 1/8th inch wall 2 inch diameter cromoly tubing. That's seriously strong stuff. They seem to be tougher than the regular Smitty built stuff you usually see on mall-crawlers.
                It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
                and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

This place looks to have a nice selection, and good prices on shipping:

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...f2512eb2d97047

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...th/468_2_676_8

Comment

so far the best i can find is the front for 220 and the rear for 416 US. i emailed them sunday night to ask what shipping costs would be and they never answered me back. hey greg thats some seriously cool fab work man.

Comment

I am not a real big SM fan overall, but I have to say that the one stinger I have seen on a friend's rig is stout and has held up very well to some abuse.

Comment

Smitty built?

If you have a 4wheelparts by you and you order from them you dont have to pay for shipping!

Plus they carry a little different variety of smitty built than some other sites.

Comment

there is no 4wheelparts in canada atleast not in my city...is there one in north dakota? could be worth the drive if shipping is expensive...lets see 600k travel would be around 100 bucks in gas...if shipping is more then i will do that. plus always fun to go to the states and buy other cheap stuff.

Comment

but then with the 100 dollers in fuel, a days time, 500 for the bumpers, and then the duty coming back... take the day off and build the bumpers of your dreams.

oh and greg, i like the jeep matching hi-lift.
                            :devil: Giffer

Comment

drive over, install them and drive back...
                              1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Working...
                              X