Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock air box- Vs- cold air

I'm thinking of changing for my stock airbox w/K&N to cold air intake. I know there are HP gains (i have herd from 8hp to 13hp gains). My fear is taking water in the open filter. Any thoughts on this issue, all info will be appreciated. I know a snorkel is an easy fix, but i dont like the look, my KCs on the windshield posts are in the way, and the olympic lightbar mounts to the windshield hinge. ????
    Last edited by Daniel Hoppe Jr; 07-01-08, 06:05 PM.
    Under a black flag we shall sail.

hello, antbody have anything to say
    Under a black flag we shall sail.

Comment

I have an AEM brute, comes with throttle body spacer.
      Is night and day vs stock airbox. Cost is good. Got mine for $219.

Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Personally I don't believe cold air systems are worth their cost unless you race at the dragstrips. But I would certainly get rid of that K&N air filter and install something that filters better. They have been tested against other air filters and proven to let in a LOT more dirt and fine particulates.

Before I trashed my K&N for that reason, I had ended up installing two prefilters over it to keep the grime out I had found coating my air intake's interior. I first installed an Outerwears which helped some but it didn't seal around the K&N well enough. So I then added an oiled foam Unifilter around that which held it in place. Even with two pre-filters over the top of the K&N, I didn't really notice any difference in how the engine ran but the grime problem inside the air intake went away.

The last air filter in the world I would run is a K&N. Besides, the factory's air intake was specifically designed to be non-restrictive, not all engines are.

Here's how I was forced to run my K&N so it would keep the desert dust and dirt out of my engine... the two prefilters are pulled to the side to see them separately. By the way, I now run a True Filter which is much better. I'd run a paper element filter if I could but I had to remove the factory filter box for my belt-driven compressor used for the OBA system.

The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Not sure about the K&N but I also have an AEM. Easy install, easy to clean(uses no oil) with noticeable improvment.
          And like Tomb Raider says, it's easy on the midgets.(Josh's jeep money)
          HAPPY FOURTH EVERYBODY !!!!!!!

Comment

SAVE YOUR MONEY. THERE ARE NO REAL GAINS, AND IT LETS TOO MUCH DUST INTO THE THROTTLE BODY.
            KEEP THE STOCK FILTER, AND SPEND THE C NOTE ON DINNER WITH THE wife or girlfriend.
            sorry for the caps.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Exactly. It will make a difference for the first tank or two, then the computer will realize it is taking in more air and then changes settings so that it doesn't do anything. It works great on a non computer controlled carb but not with computer controlled fuel injection.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I have to ask; how often do you guys do maintenance on your filters? I've been running the K&N for four years and never had any dirt issues. I clean the filter at least every other trip in the dirt. I get that from running K&Ns on all my dirt bikes. Just gotta keep 'em clean.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                  I have to ask; how often do you guys do maintenance on your filters? I've been running the K&N for four years and never had any dirt issues. I clean the filter at least every other trip in the dirt. I get that from running K&Ns on all my dirt bikes. Just gotta keep 'em clean.
                  Hey Rat, After reading your post this morning, I think I'll clean my filter this afternoon! It's been about four trips now and I'm sure it's overdue...
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

K&N's air filters by now have been tested by a number of organizations and have been found to be about the worst at actually filtering out the dirt. I wheel in the desert and found my K&N was allowing all kinds of grime past it and I was absolutely ANAL about keeping it clean & oiled with K&N's "filter charger" kit. I could wipe my finger inside the air tube and find grime after every wheeling trip, it was sickening how poorly it was filtering.

After installing TWO pre-filters (an Outerwears and an oiled foam Unifilter) over my K&N, the grime finally stopped getting into the intake. But any air filter that requires two pre-filters sucks in my book. This is what it took to get my K&N so I wasn't getting grime past it...

I ended up trashing my K&N and went with a True Flow air filter which while it's a far better air filter than the K&N, still isn't as good at filter as a good paper element air filter is like AC-Delco makes.

Finally, the below is from an ISO (International Standards Organization) test of air filters and K&N was shown to be the worst of them all.

The following graph is from that test, followed by a quote that explains the chart...

"In the chart above it’s important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction. In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt." (end of quote)

The entire test the above was copied from can be seen at http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

K&N would love for us to all believe their filters are as good at filtering as they are at passing lots of air... not true. And in the 4.0L engine's case, it's already getting plenty of air from the factory air intake that was specifically designed to be free flowing, as opposed to some cars that have restrictive air intakes.
                    Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 07-06-08, 12:57 PM.

Comment

What about the AEM brute intake. I believe it is a paper filter that is oil less.
                      Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
                        What about the AEM brute intake. I believe it is a paper filter that is oil less.
                        That's a much superior filter to the K&N. For me, I just wish I could run an AC-Delco paper element air filter but I had to remove my air filter box to mount the compressor for the OBA system.

Comment

do you really clean it every other trip? that might explain why yours actually works. that seems like a lot of work for little benefit though.
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                            do you really clean it every other trip? that might explain why yours actually works. that seems like a lot of work for little benefit though.
                            It's not that much work. And I always do maintnenance on my junk, that's why it rarely breaks on the trail. I've seen that same chart more than once, but it still comes down to how well you maintain things. Obviously if you don't like doing maintenance then those "better" filters are for you.
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Erik look at Kurts engine next time out, you can eat off it,
                              Like a show Jeep
                              moon buggy
                              5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Working...
                              X