Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking, what to get????

I am looking to buy a Jeep (Wrangler style) for some family fun and four wheeling. Help me. Never had a Jeep before. We do have a 4x4 Suburban, and a cab over camper on an F-250. It is set up to tow.

We live in San Diego and we camp in Anza Borrego and want to be able to explore the side roads. We also camp in Baja, Mexico and get on the beaches there.

Need something street legal, and easy to tow. Need to seat 4, as we have 2 kids, 8 and 10. I hear the 6 cylinder is way better than the 4 banger. Want to be reliable and capable enough to run rough trails and the sand. Rock crawling is probably not in the future. I would expect to lift it if the one I get is not already lifted.

I see a lot of them for between $3000 and $5000 which is about right for the budget. Mama want to be comfy and Papa just wants to get out of town....

Any suggestions on what year to look for, or look out for???

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
    Insert witty comment here.

Re: Looking, what to get????

Originally posted by Mandelon
    I am looking to buy a Jeep (Wrangler style) for some family fun and four wheeling. Help me. Never had a Jeep before. We do have a 4x4 Suburban, and a cab over camper on an F-250. It is set up to tow.

Need something street legal, and easy to tow. Need to seat 4, as we have 2 kids, 8 and 10. I hear the 6 cylinder is way better than the 4 banger. Want to be reliable and capable enough to run rough trails and the sand. Rock crawling is probably not in the future. I would expect to lift it if the one I get is not already lifted.

I see a lot of them for between $3000 and $5000 which is about right for the budget. Mama want to be comfy and Papa just wants to get out of town....

Any suggestions on what year to look for, or look out for???

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
    Unfortunately, I know of a Jeep for sale, but it only has two seats. It's a 1945 Willy's MB for $2500. I know what you mean about needing seats for four. Me and my husband (king4wd) have two children also 2 and 11. 6 cylinder is the way to go, but we have a 4 banger and it gives the 6 cylinders a run for their money. We have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler named Marvin for it has Marvin the Martian on all four corners. Once it's lifted it will be called the "Earth Demodulator" the gun that Marvin has to blow up the Earth. What to look for, just know what you want. A good place to look for Jeeps for sale. In Gear from the Cal4wdc. I hope I helped in some way. And welcome to MJR!!
    1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
    Glad to be back in California!

Comment

Welcome to MJR!!

TJ's (97-present Wranglers) are nice Jeeps. Basically built like a car, but with very nice offroad capability. Coil springs, full dash, air bags, etc. A small lift and a little bigger tire and you can go ALOT of places. You might have to search a while to find a TJ for $3-5k, but its not all together impossible.

YJ's are decent Jeeps as well, very capable but not as car like as TJ's. YJ's still have a metal dash, leaf springs, and are a little more truck like. Dont get me wrong, YJ's are very good off roaders, just not as "comfy." YJ's are more in your price range.

For both TJ's and YJ's, the straight 6 engine is very reliable and has enough power to get you where you want. Which ever you decide, we have a large support group for both TJ's and YJ's.

Good Luck
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Welcome to MJR As my #2 said earlier, on regular trails the 4 will give the 6 a run for its money as it comes with shorter gears (4.10s vs. 3.55s or 3.73s). However, on the freeway, the 6 blows the 4 away. That being said, if you're going to be towing your rig, you may want to consider the price difference when shopping. I'm partial to the TJ for its ride and great articulation. But as you're in CA remember that '74 and earlier models are immune to the states draconian smog laws. Regardless of what jeep you get. you'll get an awesome trail rig
        It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
        and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

We would be towing approx 100 miles out to Borrego and back for most trips, or about as far down into Mexico.

Is there any difficulty in towing? Do I just stick it in neutral and go? I assume a manual tranny better for towing. Do I need a special setup? I tow lots of utility trailers and boats, but never another vehicle.

I have seen some older CJs as well as a lot of YJs and a couple of TJs in my budget range, is one type better than the other? I see what you mean about comfort, but I worry that the newer model fancy dashboards will rattle apart on the washboard roads...

Are there any years or models to avoid?

How about a magazine. Is there one for Jeep enthusiasts.

Sorry for all the questions.
          But thanks for the answers!

Comment

How about a magazine. Is there one for Jeep enthusiasts.

Sorry for all the questions.
            But thanks for the answers!
            first of all dont worry about the questions everyone here would want your first jeep to be a good expierence and are looking to help. Second of all there is a magzine called JP. check it out!
            B R E T T
            87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
              Second of all there is a magzine called JP. check it out!
              JP is a great magazine for Jeepers, I couldn't agree more. The TJ holds up pretty darn well- I've got over 120k miles on my '98 and its still going strong !
              It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
              and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Re: Looking, what to get????

We also camp in Baja, Mexico and get on the beaches there.

I haven't been to Baja in years. Which beaches?

Comment

Baja

We have had a lot of good times down there. There are some dunes south of Rosarito before Ensensada that are fun and wide open. Weekends can get busy though.

Further down in a beach called Mal Paso. There is $4.00 a night camping and they have hot showers and rustic flush toilets. The Mision hotel is just down the way too. They have a great restaurant. The beach is wide and sandy, and you can drive all over it. RV's are welcome at either place.

How do YJ's do in the sand?

We watch the Chevy Blazers get stuck and explore the area.

Comment

Working...
                  X