Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are definitely looking forward to it. I have only been out there once before as well. We were there for 5 days and did Hell"s Revenge (just crossed Golden Spike), Poison Spider, Porcupine Rim (and part of Fins and Things), Gemini Bridges and Metal Masher, Long Canyon, Shafer Trail, Bull Canyon, White Rim and Tower Arch.

We didn't do a lot of what we wanted to ie: Golden Spike, Prichett Canyon, Cliff Hanger and Moab Rim because we were alone most of the time (I know, not the best option but that's why we stuck to the tame trails).

What is Gold Bar rim like?

Steve
    35" MTRs, Ox Lockers, bellyup, cage, stuff + things... blah, blah, blah . <><

Comment

Originally posted by DrewTJ

What is Gold Bar rim like?
      it's a lot like golden spike with a bunch of big ledges to climb.

myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Ledges are good...

Climbing is good...

Rolling is bad Hell's Revenge and Poison Spider we did with a Jamboree group. We had a TJ flop at the "launch pad" on Poison Spider it was scary to watch, I was outta my Jeep before he rolled... you could see him goin... makes me sick thinkin about it.

He missed the line by about 3 ft to the left and front got away from him, went over hard on the left side. No one hurt, bout 4500 in damage. But he drove it out! Gotta love Jeeps.

Comment

Originally posted by Qubicon
          Try this in a week old Jeep. Don't take this the wrong way, I
          got it to wheel first, and everything else comes second. The main
          thing to remember when wheeling is don't over do it. If you don't
          want to try something, or think its not in your or your Jeeps best
          interest, then DON'T DO IT! Who cares if everybody thinks you're
          a "insert favorite put down". The fact is, when you do F*&% Up
          and need to repair the Jeep, nobody is going to hand you a bunch
          of cash just because you did something cool. Me, I'm in it for the
          Adrenaline and Heart Stopping thrills. Come to Moab this year, a
          stock Jeep is not a good enough excuse to not go. If you need
          help, or advice, there will be someone to spot you.

By the way,

yes, I took the strap out of the hole.
          after some thought on which trails we're going to run I wanted to take a minute to comment further on the thoughts expressed in the above post.

although... "a stock Jeep is not a good enough excuse to not go..." is indeed a true statment, a mostly "stock Jeep" will exclude you from driving it on a number of trails we will be running (stock rubicon owners with adequate driver skill and a love for the sound of scraping metal excluded). The truth is, if your not prepared, you can get yourself into serious trouble out there. If you make a mistake, it can be a long way to the bottom(anyone got a link to "tracy's roll"?). Regardless of driver skill... on 75% of the trails we'll be doing... if your driving an open Jeep you'll need at least 33s for clearance and, if you want to run on 31s, you'll need some lift and at least a locker. Please respect the group if they decide your rig is not up to the trail of the day and ride along or make other plans. It's possible, depending on who's there, that we may be able to break into "moderate" and "difficult" groups... we'll see.

Just trying to make the entire trip more enjoyable for all.
          Last edited by blkTJ; 02-20-04, 03:42 AM.
          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Click on Tracey's Roll at toysbytroy.com

A lot of trails are ok for stock jeep in Moab, but the ones listed for the first few days are not stock friendly... read much body, undercarriage damage and a lot of winch/strapping. Wouldn't be fun for anyone.

Comment

Just don't follow the nut in the silver Rubicon-He likes to lead "Lemming Tests" just to see who will follow. Brian, John and Jeff have all passed with flying colors. They didn't even know I was lost.

Comment

Being the Newb here, I respectfully submit that a "moderate group" is a great choice.

That by no means excludes doing some cool trails. I was on a Jamboree wheeling my 33" tired 4" lift open diffed TJ along with better equiped and evenstock vehicles on Hell's revenge and Poison Spider... the key would be having an experienced leader and taking the bypass option on some obstacles. If you are stock you still gotta see Moab!

However Pritchett, Golden Spike, Moab Rim, Gold Bar (been doing research) are a bad choice for anything unlocked and under 33s

Comment

Oh, on sidenote

A Rubicon does not qualify as "stock", it should be referred to as "previously equipped with solid bolt on pieces prior to purchase"

A stock Rubi with an experienced driver is extremely capable with liberal use of skid plate sliding. and even better if you cut that approach angle limiting useless bumper thingy off the front

Comment

Originally posted by DrewTJ
                    Being the Newb here, I respectfully submit that a "moderate group" is a great choice.

That by no means excludes doing some cool trails. I was on a Jamboree wheeling my 33" tired 4" lift open diffed TJ along with better equiped and evenstock vehicles on Hell's revenge and Poison Spider... the key would be having an experienced leader and taking the bypass option on some obstacles. If you are stock you still gotta see Moab!

However Pritchett, Golden Spike, Moab Rim, Gold Bar (been doing research) are a bad choice for anything unlocked and under 33s
                    That's the whole issue...bypasses. Are there any? Personally, I get a lot of info out of parking it and running around to watch the better drivers tackle the tough stuff.

Comment

• @ crickett
                      you can't just rely on the bypasses. prior to leaving for the trail, if the leader thinks ANY jeep won't make it, then that jeep won't be part of the trail.

nothing aimed directly at you, but these pretty much the toughest trails we can get our hands on, and any stock jeeper going on this trip will have to realize that he/she won't be on many of the runs that the "bigger" jeeps will be on.

there are some moderate trails, but it doesn't seem like anyone else with a stocker is going to tackle this trip as of this point in time.
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

• Originally posted by Qubicon
                        Just don't follow the nut in the silver Rubicon-He likes to lead "Lemming Tests" just to see who will follow. Brian, John and Jeff have all passed with flying colors. They didn't even know I was lost.
                        If you think you might be lost just ask the mountian bikers which way they think a jeep can not go,then follow dave.They will most likely tell you you're crazy and all walk back to watch.I think they said there is no way you guys can get down there... Famous last words

click this...
                        Last edited by blkTJ; 03-10-04, 04:42 AM.
                        95 GC 4.5 RE,adjustable UCA/LCA,32's,456's,tru-trac up front,trac-lock rear,and other goodies

Comment

• There is something for everyone in Moab. From a dirt trail with washboards to all the stuff that scares you. You get phenominal scenery either way. I'm sure that we all want to have a good time and can come up with runs that will suit us all. I personally like to play it by ear, cause afterall, we are on vacation. Is it May yet?

Comment

• Well, the Missus and I have penciled in the week in our calendars, but we will be departing y'all for points south midweek. We will be heading out to the Canyonlands Maze district to get some solitude and to check out some Barrier Canyon rock art. We might make a half-day trip with hiking to see the Great Gallery at Horseshoe Canyon on Monday.

I know it may sound like heresy to drive out to Moab and only do a couple days of wheeling in the Mecca of Slickrock, but I am hopeful that Sunday and Monday will be lots of fun!
                            Last edited by jmbrowning; 03-04-04, 04:40 PM.
                            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

• don't worry, we'll have a blast.

we might even be able to talk the group into tackling elephant hill and such later in the week. When I lived in Chicago and only dreamed of ever wheeling Moab, the needles district of canyonlands was the first place I wanted to go. haven't been yet.:yay:

(edit) ooops... i just reread your post... maze not needles... sorry. (/edit)
                              Last edited by blkTJ; 03-06-04, 01:56 AM.
                              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

• Hey ALL!!!

It's been a long time ... just wanted to stop by and say hi to some of the older faces and how ya doing to the new ones.

I am tentatively interested in this trip so just kinda lightly pencil me in there! Most my stuff is either still in LA or in Wisconsin where I live now but the Jeep is still in LA. So rather than trying to figure out all the camping related issues, I think I'll probably just crash at a hotel in town and not worry about camping.

But at least for the first half of that week I'll probably be around for this!!!!

Oh yah and I am of course in the "been there, done the rubicon already" category
                                03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                                "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Working...
                                X