Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennedy Meadows Labor Day Holiday - Testing

Still looking for a trip destination and co-jeepers for the holiday weekend. I find it amazing that this group doesn't have any plans for the big weekend, so.....

One of our favorite destinations is the Kern Plateau, also known as Kennedy Meadows. One of the days could be a run on Sherman Pass Jeep Trail, it's plenty gnarly. Another could be to Monache Meadows on an easy jeep road. Monoche Meadows butts up to Golden Trout Wilderness and you can hike in along the N. Fork of the Kern River and fly fish for Golden Trout. There is also good fishing in Kern farther downstream from there just north of the Kennedy Meadows Store.

I've made the trip a few times for bike riding. The camping areas have a lot of dirtbikers, however there are some remote group camp areas up the road form the main campgrounds where a group of jeepers could get away from the buzz of the bikes.

It's a very remote area in the south end of the Sierra's at 8-10,000' elevation. Gorgeous and wild. The area doesn't open in spring 'till Memorial weekend, and first snows start the end of September. Yeah, it's up in the mountains!

Here's a story link from someone that posted their trip report:
    http://www.caoffroaders.com/kennedymeadows.htm

I was going to post a pic of one of the water crossings up in Monach Meadows but I don't see the 'gallery insert' feature any longer.

Let me know if anyone is interested in planning a trip with us.

Nothing has been posted to date...

Originally posted by sarah
    Yes! I've actually emailed Greg to see if he can find us a group campsite for that weekend, just waiting to hear back so I can post with details.

Our destination is flexible if the group site is RV friendly. Dry camping is fine, we're self contained. Let me know asap. See if we can get the "green" camping area they reserve for WAYWEGOS. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but they always have trailers and motorhomes.

Just so you know, SBNF can't hold a candle to the Sierra's. But I'd save a hundred bucks in gas! And the fam hasn't really had a chance to experience BB and Arrowhead with me over all the years I've been going up there.

We'll be ready to head out by about 1pm Friday the 2nd.

Comment

If i dont go to fontana for the races on the 4th , I'd be up to meeting up with those there for a run on sunday, (only a hour and half to 2 hr ride for me) Especially if i get my front locker in this weekend..
      04TJ, 4.0 5spd
      4" rough country springs
      Nth degree arms upper and lower
      1" Currie MML/BL
      Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
      33"BFG MT's
      Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Well I got my locker in and all went well on the install, If anybody is gonna be up there making a run that sunday or monday im up for it....
        04TJ, 4.0 5spd
        4" rough country springs
        1" Currie MML/BL
        33"BFG MT's
        Lock-rite in the front

Comment

avnative; everyone:

I recall 'talking' with you when we were planning our route to Tahoe/Rubicon. You're in Rosamond, so you're half way to Kennedy Meadows already!

Anyway, the core group here has bagged off, they're going to Big Bear and it doesn't look like they will be able to make arrangements for motorhomes and trailers. They are talking about a yellow post site to jeep into. Well, I would love to join up with the group, but the family wants to come along for the holiday weekend and we do that in our motorhome. Looks like one precludes the other.

So, when you mentioned you would come up on Sunday I thought you were referring to Big Bear. Now it appears you would come up to KM. Let me know if you're still interested in doing that, may be we can get a couple of others to join us.

I'm going to post the trip with my other groups to see who else might be interested in visiting the area over the holiday.

No responses so far here for KM, so I imagine the rest of the forum will follow their 'leaders'

Anybody else out there making plans for the holiday???

Comment

I've been to that area, it's incredible up there but we already have plans, the Long Beach Blues Fest. Sat & Sun. Monday I'll be too burnt to do anything. Please let me know when your going to go again, I'd like to go there for some camping and Jeepin. The last time I was in that area I bicycled through there, yes bicycled up that 9 mile canyon. Took me 5 hours to do the first 50 miles of a 155 mile ride but that's another story.

Have fun, I'll look forward to the next one, B&T TJ

Comment

where is kennedy meadows, i would be interested in another weekend. labor day is out for me i will be at the races.

Comment

I know people are making all kinds of decisions about the long holiday weekend.

The wife and I are going over to Afton Canyon with some friends from work. They have the big work horse quads and run the trails there.
                I plan on showing them what a jeep can do.

If anyone is headed that way, let me know, and we could find some trails over in that neck of the woods. Johnson Valley and Odessa and Doran trails are not that far away.

Navy-Jeepster
                Gold-Digger
                Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
                  I recall 'talking' with you when we were planning our route to Tahoe/Rubicon. You're in Rosamond, so you're half way to Kennedy Meadows already!

Anyway, the core group here has bagged off, they're going to Big Bear and it doesn't look like they will be able to make arrangements for motorhomes and trailers. They are talking about a yellow post site to jeep into. Well, I would love to join up with the group, but the family wants to come along for the holiday weekend and we do that in our motorhome. Looks like one precludes the other.

So, when you mentioned you would come up on Sunday I thought you were referring to Big Bear. Now it appears you would come up to KM. Let me know if you're still interested in doing that, may be we can get a couple of others to join us.

I'm going to post the trip with my other groups to see who else might be interested in visiting the area over the holiday.

No responses so far here for KM, so I imagine the rest of the forum will follow their 'leaders'

Anybody else out there making plans for the holiday???
                  I['m pretty much in the middle of alot of places so can usually make it to those pretty quick and am open to it, As far as the camping goes, the wife wont wheel with me so taking the MH is not worth it usually, But let me know, Km is not much difference than BB as far as driving..
                  04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                  4" rough country springs
                  1" Currie MML/BL
                  33"BFG MT's
                  Lock-rite in the front

Comment

KM from Bakersfield

Originally posted by bigdog3576
                    where is kennedy meadows, i would be interested in another weekend. labor day is out for me i will be at the races.
                    While you can get to the Kern Plateau from Sherman Pass Hiway off the north fork of the Kern out of Lake Isabella, it's a long windy road. However folks from SF area go that way. From Bakersfiled you would go out the 58 to the 14/395 and head north past Mojave, Ridgecrest, and just past the 395 junction you'll find a sign for a left turn up 9 Mile Canyon Road to Kennedy Meadows. It takes you from 2000' to 8000' in 9 miles. It's fine in a jeep or newer truck/RV, but the climb and decent grade are REALLY steep. I've seen and smelled a lot of burned out brakes. Anyway, from the top it's about another 40 miles across the valley to the offroad areas. At the Kennedy Meadows store you turn left and head out over Sherman Pass road, now coming east to west. About 15 miles in are Fish Creek Campground and a little farther up is Troy Meadows Campground. Another 10 miles up is the Black Rock Ranger station where ther road Y's, left goes over Sherman Pass (9800' elev), right goes north towards Golden Trout Wilderness, hiking and packing trailheads, and the Monache Meadows jeep trail.

It's an awesome place to spend a few days exploring. Very wild and remote. I finally figured out how to post pics again, so here's one of one of the water crossings going out thru Monache Meadows:

BTW, the creeks are full of trout!
                    The season is winding down up there as snow fall comes as early as the end of September. It's snowed in all winter with up to 40' of snow. Elevation is 6000-10,000'.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog3576
                      YOu going to fontana for that race??? I was gonna go but the people that i was gonna go with changed there mind..
                      04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                      4" rough country springs
                      1" Currie MML/BL
                      33"BFG MT's
                      Lock-rite in the front

Comment

thanks for the info cj i will have to get up there soon.

yeah i have a friend who has season tickets and his customer cant make it so i got the call
                        and couldnt pass it up.

Comment

Thank for inviting but I already have plans on Labor Day Weekend. Swamp is the destination for me and a couple of friend from Bakersfield. Wheeling and camping for 3 days in the great outdoors.
                          Joe Rojas
                          1994 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Roknxj, is there anywhere in or near fillmore to do some wheel'n? i'll be down there this weekend and might be taken the new jeep. need to find some place real close to fillmore though.

thanks
                            Larry
                            2007 2dr rubicon, teraflex 2 1/2" coil kit, procomp 97's w/ procomp 35" mud terrains, xenon flares, riddler diff covers, evo rock stars.

Comment

Originally posted by califsaintsfan
                              Roknxj, is there anywhere in or near fillmore to do some wheel'n? i'll be down there this weekend and might be taken the new jeep. need to find some place real close to fillmore though.

thanks
                              Larry
                              River bottom would be the closest place I can think of. Rowler Flats is 20 East of Fillmore in Santa Clarita. No other place near though.
                              Joe Rojas
                              1994 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X