Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swamp Lake Run Labor Day Weekend

Robert from Bakersfield and I are planning a trip to Swamp Lake in three weeks, the Labor day weekend. If anyone wants to join post up and as time nears will figuer a meeting place and if we want to have a combined potluck on saturday night.
    Joe Rojas
    1994 Jeep Cherokee

Swamp Lake Trip

I'm interested in a holiday jeep trip. I'm sure the fam is interested in joining in so we would tow the jeep up with the motorhome.
    Seems to me Swam lake is a jeep-in destination, no?
    Get me some more details on your trip. I'll look it up in one the guide books as well.

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
      I'm interested in a holiday jeep trip. I'm sure the fam is interested in joining in so we would tow the jeep up with the motorhome.
      Get me some more details on your trip. I'll look it up in one the guide books as well.

Thanks!!
      Sure no problem on the info we should be pretty much set sometime next week and as soon as we decide the meeting place I will post it here. Mean while check out some pictures of Swamp.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384955

Looks great this year and it should be fun.
      Joe Rojas
      1994 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Thanks!!

Here are some more details on how to get there and a campground where you can part your motor home.

The best place to gas up is in Prather, which is on Hwy 168 at the bottom of the big grade. It's possible to fill up in Clovis and run the whole trail and drive back to Clovis to fill up again, so fuel isn't real critical on this run. There is a Texaco station at the top of the big grade, but it closes early, like around 8:00 pm, so it's not good to count on it unless you're early. There is gas at the Dinkey Creek store, but it's expensive, and best used only for emergencies. There are also showers at the store.

It's best to use block ice, which will easily last the 3 day weekend, then fill in with crushed. The Dinkey Creek store sells ice, so you can top off Friday morning if you need to.

Here are directions. Take Hwy 168 heading NE out of Fresno/Clovis, towards Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake. If you're coming from the south, exit Hwy 99 at Kingsburg and go north until you reach Hwy 168 (about 30 miles), then make a right. If you're coming from the north, exit Hwy 99 at Herndon, and drive all the way through town, then bear left onto Hwy 168. The new freeway through Fresno turns into Hwy 168, so you can take it off of either Hwy 99 from the north or Hwy 41 from the south, if you want.

So, heading NE on Hwy 168, follow the signs to Shaver Lake, which is roughly an hour drive from Fresno. As you are coming into the town of Shaver Lake, make a right turn onto Dinkey Creek Rd, where there will be a sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Continue on Dinkey Creek Rd for around 15 miles, and as you are coming into Dinkey Creek, look for another sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Make a right turn at this sign onto McKinley Grove Rd......very important! If you miss this right turn, you will drive past the ranger station and the Dinkey Creek store and end up at Dinkey Campground. After making the right turn onto McKinley Grove Rd, immediately crossing the Dinkey Creek bridge, go for about 1/4 mile and look for the Camp Fresno sign on the left. At this sign, there are two roads that go to the left, the first cuts back sharply and goes to Camp Fresno, the second is road 10S36. Turn left onto 10S36 and immediately turn right into the trees, this is a close camping spot for this trail run. We'll be using CB channel 4 if you get close and have trouple finding us.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/publi...rogs/swamp.pdf

Yes Jeep-in trail. The trail is below The Dusy Trail with is about 30 miles from start to finish. While the Swamp Route is only 16 miles.

As of right now we plan on leaving Bakersfield at 5am to be at the trail head at 7am give of take a couple of minutes.
        Joe Rojas
        1994 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Next time....

I have to pass on this one, but let us know if you want to make the Duesy later on this year. I'll try to get Erik (Nailer341) to join in on a group run. How 'bout the end of Sept, first of Oct.?

Turns out we have a group going out to Kennedy Meadows for the holiday weekend. Since the family is along we'll be "camping" in the motorhome, and we can't very well get that thing into Swamp Lake! But thanks for the update and we'll catch you next time.

Best regards,

Comment

Sound good and have fun.
            Joe Rojas
            1994 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

two days till the Swamp Lake run and if anyone wants to join will will meet at the trail head at about 7am, also we will be using channel 4.
              Joe Rojas
              1994 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Working...
              X