i dont know what hash marks are?
    Look here:

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/boltgrades.htm

You want either Grade 5 or Grade 8.

Leave a comment:

• assyrianjeep
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Fart
    What kind of bolts were they (count the "hash" marks on the head and post please)
    i dont know what hash marks are?

Leave a comment:

• cbremer
    replied
    guys, note that Nate has an XJ- he'll have to get the appropriate brackets to mount tow hooks safely (there is no metal substantial enough to mount tow hooks to). I had these before I got an aftermarket front bumper: http://custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html#brackets and they survived several very hard pulls. Reasonable price, too.

Leave a comment:

• Navy-Jeepster
    replied
    I have a Rock it Man front bumper with the D-ring attachment points.
    I like those better then tow hooks. It is a straight pull on the frame that way. On the rear, I have a receiver D-ring that I put into my Warn Rock Crawler bumpers reciever attachment point. All have been used and have had no problems.

Todd
    Navy-Jeepster
    Gold Digger

Leave a comment:

• Old Fart
    replied
    Originally posted by paulhead
    Harbor freight rocks! But you got to be careful, sometimes you get what you pay for .
    Exactly. Tow hooks mounted with non graded hardware (or non-spec hardware, I've seen some Chinese bolts that were under size) is about the same as velcro. Chrome can be even worse - unless steps are taken to prevent hydrogen embrittlement, chrome tow hooks can (and have) shattered under load.

Better (and safer!) to have _no_ tow point, than an _unsafe_ tow point, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• paulhead
    replied
    Originally posted by assyrianplyr127
    harbor frieght, i got 2 for 7 bucks, with all the bolts you need. you cant beat that!
    Harbor freight rocks! But you got to be careful, sometimes you get what you pay for .

Leave a comment:

• Old Fart
    replied
    harbor frieght, i got 2 for 7 bucks, with all the bolts you need. you cant beat that!
    What kind of bolts were they (count the "hash" marks on the head and post please)

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    replied
    now thats what im talkin about!

im headed out tomorrow for about 4 hrs but i dont know where im goin...probably morton peak to thomas hunting grounds or to seven oaks. i know there are a few good hills and small side roads. Nothing extrem just about a 3hr trip.

Leave a comment:

• assyrianjeep
    replied
    Originally posted by Nate
    I am minus the tow hooks, but got a strap!!!! where can i get a set of tow hooks (bolt on) quick?

Leave a comment:

• Old Fart
    replied
    4 wheel parts would have them. Not my favorite place, but should work. Need some 1/2"-13 GR8 bolts too.

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    replied
    I am minus the tow hooks, but got a strap!!!! where can i get a set of tow hooks (bolt on) quick?

Leave a comment:

• 0IIII0
    replied
    Well, I have a stock Rubi Unlimited...I hope that will be good enough!

Leave a comment:

• Rudeboyrob88
    replied
    I am getting my tow hooks next week, and would love to join you guys up there. Let me know if this one is getting too full. I have off road experience, but not much in California.

Leave a comment:

• 6Spyder
    replied
    BB sounds good to me to next month did John Bull last month had a blast came out with some minor dents its all good. Just name the time and date and hope to meet some fellow jeepers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X