Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am getting my tow hooks next week, and would love to join you guys up there. Let me know if this one is getting too full. I have off road experience, but not much in California.

Comment

Well, I have a stock Rubi Unlimited...I hope that will be good enough!
      2005 Rubicon Unlimited "Sahara Edition"
      Home Despot Disco's
      Warn Diff Cover
      Bumpers on the way!

Comment

I am minus the tow hooks, but got a strap!!!! where can i get a set of tow hooks (bolt on) quick?
        87' XJ "Gnarly"

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
        ~ Dave Howell

Comment

4 wheel parts would have them. Not my favorite place, but should work. Need some 1/2"-13 GR8 bolts too.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
            I am minus the tow hooks, but got a strap!!!! where can i get a set of tow hooks (bolt on) quick?
            harbor frieght, i got 2 for 7 bucks, with all the bolts you need. you cant beat that!
            ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
            |ŻŻŻL--D|||||D 33"
            ()_)Ż()_) ŻŻ )_) Armor
            Locked and Ready

Comment

Originally posted by assyrianplyr127
              harbor frieght, i got 2 for 7 bucks, with all the bolts you need. you cant beat that!
              now thats what im talkin about!

im headed out tomorrow for about 4 hrs but i dont know where im goin...probably morton peak to thomas hunting grounds or to seven oaks. i know there are a few good hills and small side roads. Nothing extrem just about a 3hr trip.
              87' XJ "Gnarly"

~ Dave Howell

Comment

What kind of bolts were they (count the "hash" marks on the head and post please)
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

Harbor freight rocks! But you got to be careful, sometimes you get what you pay for .
                  “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                  -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
                    Harbor freight rocks! But you got to be careful, sometimes you get what you pay for .
                    Exactly. Tow hooks mounted with non graded hardware (or non-spec hardware, I've seen some Chinese bolts that were under size) is about the same as velcro. Chrome can be even worse - unless steps are taken to prevent hydrogen embrittlement, chrome tow hooks can (and have) shattered under load.

Better (and safer!) to have _no_ tow point, than an _unsafe_ tow point, IMHO.
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY

Comment

I have a Rock it Man front bumper with the D-ring attachment points.
                      I like those better then tow hooks. It is a straight pull on the frame that way. On the rear, I have a receiver D-ring that I put into my Warn Rock Crawler bumpers reciever attachment point. All have been used and have had no problems.

Todd
                      Navy-Jeepster
                      Gold Digger
                      Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                      Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

guys, note that Nate has an XJ- he'll have to get the appropriate brackets to mount tow hooks safely (there is no metal substantial enough to mount tow hooks to). I had these before I got an aftermarket front bumper: http://custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html#brackets and they survived several very hard pulls. Reasonable price, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
                          What kind of bolts were they (count the "hash" marks on the head and post please)
                          i dont know what hash marks are?
                          ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
                          |ŻŻŻL--D|||||D 33"
                          ()_)Ż()_) ŻŻ )_) Armor
                          Locked and Ready

Comment

i dont know what hash marks are?
                            Look here:

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/boltgrades.htm

You want either Grade 5 or Grade 8.
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

i think i will just get em welded on
                              87' XJ "Gnarly"

~ Dave Howell

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
                                i think i will just get em welded on

Even worse.

Just hit Home Depot - Grade 8 1/2"-13 x 1-3/4" or 2" ought to do it.
                                Jeff
                                OHV76V
                                KG6TY

Comment

Working...
                                X