Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockhouse Canyon April 23

A friend and I have decided to try and find Rockhouse Canyon trail in Joshua Tree National Park. We are planning on doing this Saturday April 23 but may do it late evening on Firday the 22th and camp over night on the trail if need be. Reason we might do it on Friday night is we both work down in that area so we could start after work.

From what we can find this is a pretty hard trail which I would think would require 33" and lockers. I am not 100% sure what the conditions are going to be like as we can not find a lot of good info on.

We will start off from Berdoo Canyon Rd off of Dillion near Indio.

This is not written in stone yet but if you are interested in doing an exploration run let me know.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Going to be doing this on Sat April 23rd and not Fridat night.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Dude, I ran this trail years ago with 31's, a single locker, and no support vehicles. But it's closed now from what I heard.
      I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Pictures I saw of it (off a land rover site) looked pretty rough. But like I said, really do not know what to expect. I did find some old info (National Park plans) that said it was open but nothing that indicated it was closed.

From my maps and knowledge of JT there is no way to get to it from inside the park but coming outside the park seems to be a different story.

Guess all this will be found out for sure on the 23rd
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

The entrance of the trail was off the self guided geology tour trail that leads to Berdoo canyon. I went by it about a year or so after I ran Rockhouse and the entrance was blocked. Berdoo on the other hand could be run by a Nissan Maxima.

Comment

Thats good to know about the enterance from Berdoo being sealed off. Looking at maps (and going from my memory here since my maps are at home) there was another route into Rockhouse outside of park land completely. Berdoo looked the easiest way to Rockhouse.

I have been on the geology tour a couple times, I dont think I even went into 4wd when I did it.
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

when you take geology tour road, and it crosses the valley going south, you would come to the north entrance to Rockhouse on the left right about when you got to the rocks again. Used to be a sign, etc.
              Last I went by there I saw a barricaded route.
              I'd call the park and ask if it's legal to access it. As for southern entrances, both of them have them that come in from outside the park.

*edit* Oh, almost forgot. The road that let to Rockhouse canyon was next to a gravel company or something like that. Wasn't marked anywhere along that road to show where you were going though, I.E Rockhouse.

Comment

Okay, I went ahead and called park services. It's still open, and the woman said that it's EXTREMELY rough. But I was told that before I tackled it solo.

So go, take pics, and post them up. I'd love to go back there

Comment

Thanks for calling, I did not even think to do that <slaps forehead>.

I will be sure to get lots of pics, coords and stuff for a good trail report.

Whats cool, is Berdoo Canyon road is about 10 miles from my office. Can you say lunch time trail run?
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Nagal what time are you guys planning on heading out on your run?I live in Indio and have a few people that would probably be interested in going if you guys dont mind a few tagging along.

Comment

Jeep Guy, sorry I missed your post

We did manage to find Rockhouse Canyon and I would say its no longer do able on 31s. 95% of the trail a stocker could do but the last 5% was tough. I am not a perfect judge for rating trails due to my lack of experience but with out f/r lockers and 33s I would not have made it through.

The trail is closed off at the exit point in JTNP so I am going to call the ranger on Monday to find out what the deal is. I would not recommend running it reverse as it gets very tight.

Did not get to take a whole lot of pics but the few I did can be seen here:

http://www.jeepism.com/rockhouse
                      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Rockhouse Canyon Closed!

Spoke with a ranger today. Rockhouse Canyon is closed
                        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

So the woman I talked to was suffering a little heat stroke or something. I wondered why they reversed the decision and reopened that trail.

When I ran it the ranger I talked to out on the trail said that they had to rescue tourists in rental cars down there all the time.

Comment

When I ran it the ranger I talked to out on the trail said that they had to rescue tourists in rental cars down there all the time.
                            Man, if that is the reason it is closed.... grrr
                            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Working...
                            X