Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mojave Road

We headed to Needles California to drive the Mojave Road from East to West. It is 140 miles long starting at the Colorado River and ending somewhere outside of Bake California near the 15 Freeway. It is remote and wild backcountry. With a lot of history and signs of the different cultures that either passed through this country or lived here, surviving on the food the lands of this desert region would provide. We used GPS coordinates, waypoints every 4 miles or so. The Mojave Road also has Rock Cairns on the right side at most of the junctions and along the way. They are on the right hand side only, if traveling West. References were as follows, Several Internet Websites, including Desert USA, Guide Books used were: The Mojave Road Guide by Dennis Casebier, Backcountry Adventures by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson, Guide to Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells. Rock Art information was taken from A Field Guide to Rock Art Symbols of the Greater Southwest by Alex Patterson, unless otherwise noted. Special Thanks goes to Randy Peterson and Cary Anderson.

The trip report is with the pictures

http://community.webshots.com/user/wld2000

Great photos! Sounds like you had a great time despite the hardships of rain and wind. Gotta love those gas prices
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Thankyou for the tour!

I read the entire thing Im looking forward to doing this trip one day

Tam
      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I am gald you enjoyed it. I will be going back to finish the Mojave River section around Risor and the west side of Soda Lake. I know a group of people who are going out to drive it May 19-22. I will probably join them. At least part fo the way. If anyone is interested in that trip let me know and I willl give you all the contact information. As far as I know that trip is free. Yep it is free. See you all on te trail. I may be headed out to Johnson Valley this Saturday to check out the Hammers. Not necessarily drive them, byt check them out. I have been told there are some that are not too tough. Ie: Claw Hammer

Comment

Did you guys get across soda lake???
          Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Comment

No we did not cross Soda Lake. Soda Lake has quite a bit of water and is closed.

Comment

Working...
            X