Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snorkle stories ?

Iam about to get the safari snorkle from ARB, i was just wondering if anyone here has some interesting stories from on the trail about the stuff u went threw that u were glad you had your snorkle and all that good stuff.

Snorkel Test Video

If you go to the safari Snorkel Website they have a video of a land rover in water so deep its floating down the river and then drives out. Its pretty cool

http://www.safarisnorkel.com.au/docs/video.htm
    Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Comment

Originally posted by skates04
      If you go to the safari Snorkel Website they have a video of a land rover in water so deep its floating down the river and then drives out. Its pretty cool

http://www.safarisnorkel.com.au/docs/video.htm
      the real question is... do you see yourself getting into that situation often, or ever??? :confused:
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Me personally.... Ah no, although it does look like fun

Comment

I don think i will use it as much as i want but it sure looks really bad ass.

Comment

Here is my I wish I would of had a snorkel story( even a stock one). A couple months after getting my Jeep I put in a K&N air filter and removed the stock snorkel. I kept the snorkel in the trunk in case I thought I would need it. I came home from work one day after about a week of rain. my friends wanted to go out muddin. We went out into the desert and found some good muddy roads. Wanting to be the first into the mud I forgot to put the snokel on. I hit the puddle pretty fast and the engine just stopped right in the middle. I turned the key and it just clicked. The water was about 2 inches above the bottom of the door where i stopped. I climbed out onto the hood and hooked up the strap and my buddy pulled me out with his Grand Cherokee. We pulled the plugs and the intake hose attached to the manifold, cranked over the engine and was treated to a nice fountain show from my engine. We put the plugs back in and after a few tries it started right up. it wasn't making any bad noises so I drove it a mile or so to the oil change place and got the oil changed. After the oil change I put the snorkel back on and then we went back out at got some payback on the puddle. We didn't have any problems the rest of the day other then both cherokees running on a couple cylinders when their ignitions got soaked. I changed the oil again two days after the first one. So far the engine hasn't shown any signs of any major damage. Probably just a little bit of premature wear. I do plan on buying the ARB snorkel after i get some more important upgrades first. Some of the places I want to go to have river crossings and I would feel better with a higher snorkel.
            Last edited by Deamer; 03-03-05, 02:18 AM. Reason: add pic
            Dennis
            04 TJ
            4.0/Auto
            RE 4.5 Long Arm
            Rock-It Man Rockers
            33x12.50 BFG A/T
            desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

Sounds like your a very lucky man!!!

Comment

dirt releif

I have been told that that snorkle is not just for water, that it also helps with dirt on dusty trails as it is above the majority of the dirt. I have looked at it time again and wondered about it, but I just cannot justify it untill I get a few more mods. Plus as popular as it is I have never had anyone with first hand experiance tell me about it.
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by skates04
                  Sounds like your a very lucky man!!!

So far most of my bad luck has involved fluids. First incident was the puddle, second was a tech leaving the plug out of my rear diff at servicing. I noticed it before it blew it all the gear oil out and got it back to the shop. Third was a piece of metal falling off a truck and bouncing under my jeep and punching a hole in the leading edge of my trans pan. Dumping my fluid all over the 14 freeway. That was the expensive one. 300 bucks after getting it towed, fixed and the hotel room and stuff. And my close call is a 4 inch long half inch deep dent/crease in my oil pan. I got that on a hill I always go on. I wasn't paying attention going down the hill and by the time I realized it it was to late to stop. it normally a pretty smooth hill but i guess someone had broke a large rock free and it got dumped right in the middle of the road. Did the pan damage and bent the stock skidplate up about an inch. With the luck I have been having with fluids , after I upgrade all my other skidplates I might even have to make armor for my windshield washer bottle and cup holders.
                  Dennis
                  04 TJ
                  4.0/Auto
                  RE 4.5 Long Arm
                  Rock-It Man Rockers
                  33x12.50 BFG A/T
                  desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

Depends on the type of terrain you traverse. Up here, almost no one runs snorkles, even though we see plenty of the wet stuff. Why? Because trees tend to rip them right off your rig.

Comment

Working...
                    X