Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granite Mountain Pre-run

Roger wanted to Pre-run the trails for next weeks Granite Mountain run. This area has proposals to install dozens of 400' wind generators across the top of the ridge and would be visible by local residents from miles away.

I met with Roger and his son Steve and we cruised out east on Cahulla Road to the first area. We took a short trail uphill to Quail Spring. This is a small spring that has been used for years and has had lots of handwork done to shelter and protect it. We also visited a couple of mine prospects and trails in the area.

Next we went S/E to look for Horse Spring. On the way, we saw a Mojave Green Rattler. These are BAD A$$ snakes, stay away!. We drove through a long, deep canyon to an old mining spot that looks forgotten. As we checked out the mine prospect Steve noticed a resident Desert Tortoise. This guy was in 4X4 mode and going uphill!. We saw Horse spring but did not climb to it. There is lots of evidence of long ago activity here.

Next we went to find the "View Point". The trail ended at this huge pile of rocks and looked down on the "Cove" and parts of Lucerne. Spectacular view!

Next, Roger wanted to return via Johnson Road, so we headed north several miles across the dry lake bed through Fairview Valley. We headed east on Johnson Road and followed this winding trail through and then over a small montain pass and several miles later we ended up at Hwy 247 just north of Lucerne.

This was a wonderful trip, and it was good to see Roger and Steve, both of which are local residents and are concerned with usage of their PUBLIC LANDS (our public lands).

Mitch

Quail Spring

One of the several mines

Steve and Roger

Faint mining trail.

Horse Spring

Some local trail users

Great scenery!

The "Viewpoint"

Johnson Road heading east to Hwy 247
    Last edited by sarah; 04-06-08, 07:22 PM. Reason: PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS!!

I've only run across a few Mojave Green Rattlers...man those things are NASTY. Aggressive as all get-out and their dual toxin venom is nothing to play around with. I'd say that because it's that time of year, the run next week probably should have a snake bite kit with it.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks to Mitch for posting these great photos!

I hope more of you will sign up to go. Remember the local newspaper editor will be coming with us. It would be nice to have more support.

So make plans to join us next Saturday.

Thanks!
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
      X