Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important Moab Info

THE FOLLOWING MOAB COMPANIES SIGNED THE FOLLOWING LETTER TO GOVERNOR HUNTSMAN. PLEASE READ ON THRU THIS THREAD FOR NEW DEVELOPMENTS.

http://www.suwa.org/library/Final_Huntsman_ad.pdf

Originally posted by letter body
    Dear Governor Huntsman:

We wish to congratulate you as you begin your tenure as Utah’s new governor, and to thank you for your expressions of commitment to Utah’s wild places at the recent Outdoor Retailers Convention.

We represent a broad spectrum of well over 100 business owners, conservation organizations and individuals who understand that preserving Utah’s spectacular landscapes is key to our quality of life. Our natural setting is central to our identity and economy. It is the reason we live here, play here, raise our families here and keep our businesses here.

Which is why we are deeply concerned about recent actions by the State of Utah that threaten this setting and so much of what we value about where we live.

-- Recently, the State of Utah joined a legal challenge to the creation of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.

-- The State of Utah is spending millions of dollars on lawsuits to turn phantom “roads” and jeep tracks into highway rights-of-way. This action could create a destructive and unnecessary spider web of roads through some of our wildest and most sensitive landscapes. This includes Canyonlands National Park, where lawyers for the state have filed a lawsuit claiming that a lush, remote streambed – essential to native plants and wildlife – is actually a state “highway”.

-- State lawyers have pressured federal land managers working on long-term planning for public lands to minimize protection of Utah’s most magnificent, undeveloped wild places.

Some of the special places at risk are Utah icons: National parks, like Zion and Canyonlands; Factory Butte; Cedar Mesa and its archaeological wonders; the Canyons of the Escalante; the Kaiparowits Plateau and the San Rafael Swell. We hope you recognize that these actions threaten some of the most magnificent landscapes on earth – landscapes which also contribute significantly to a vibrant economy in Utah. Taxpayer money should not be spent in efforts that undercut both the beauty and the long-term economic prosperity of our unique state. We urge you to use the authority of your office to protect these special places. Generations to follow will be grateful for the legacy of vast, unspoiled spaces and their enduring peace, solitude and grandeur.
    Back Of Beyond Book Store
    83 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Canyon Voyages Adventure Company
    211 North Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2342

Canyonlands Field Institute
    1320 S Highway 191
    Moab, UT 84532 – 3102

Center Café
    60 N 100 West
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2323

Colorado Plateau River Guides
    120 Arbor Dr
    Moab, UT 84532 – 3227

Earthstudio
    31 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Eddie McStiff's
    59 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2522

Far Out Expeditions
    208 E. 200 South #1 PO Box 1342,
    Moab, UT 84532

Footprints Inc
    121 E 100 South
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2661

GearHeads
    471 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2980

GearHeads North
    59 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2522

Hound Dog Sound
    76 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2567

Knave of Hearts Bakery
    84 W 200 North
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2329

Living Rivers
    21 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Lost River Trading Company
    39 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Main Street Music & Video
    59 S Main #8
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2548

Miguels Baja Grill
    51 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Moab Chevron
    817 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2962

Moab Lodging
    50 E Center
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2473

Moab Self Storage
    1819 Pebble Lane
    Moab, UT 84532

Moab-Canyonlands Central Reservations
    50 E Center
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2473

Moabilia
    77 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Mondo Café
    59 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2522

Peace Tree Juice Café
    20 South Main
    Moab, UT 84532

Poison Spider Bicycles
    497 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2126

Red Rock Bakery
    74 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2503

Rim Mountain Bike Tours
    1233 S Highway 191
    Moab, UT 84532 – 3062

Slickrock Adventures
    59 E Center St
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2461

Slickrock Café
    5 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2364

Sunshine Deli
    817 S. Main
    Moab, UT 84532

Utah Guides and Outfitters
    1233 South Hwy. 191
    Moab, UT 84532

Anyone going to Moab this year should stop by these places and politely inform them that you will not be doing business with them because of thier actions.

You should print and carry this list with you. I am asking anyone here to carry extra copies to pass out when they are there.

I will be donating $20.00 toward having flyers printed by MJR to pass out at this years event and hope others will also send money so the attendance can be canvased

Do not argue with these guys, be very polite, do not let them draw you into a arguement, do not have any ALCOHOL in your system or on your breath if you talk to one. We want a positive outlook on us, and want to hurt them where they will feel it most.

Their pocket books.

If the Gas stations and Cafes on the list notice a strong drop in business, then they will welcome us next year

WE ARE IN A BATTLE FOR OUR LANDS, this is a positive way to fight it.
    Last edited by sarah; 03-31-05, 09:48 AM. Reason: added letter
    censored for having an opinion

Good call. We can take care of the flyer design and production. I'd like to hear everyone's input on what they think it should say. I'm thinking maybe a flyer and petition combined. Anyone's thoughts?
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Moab Chevron too? Really?
      03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
      "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
        Moab Chevron too? Really?
        Yeah, pretty funny, huh.

Comment

I have seen this list on 3 other websites and copied and pasted it here
          if you know of any 4x4 sites we should paste it on their sites also

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR
            I have seen this list on 3 other websites and copied and pasted it here
            if you know of any 4x4 sites we should paste it on their sites also
            Do you happen to know where this came from, so we can find out more?

Comment

Am I right in assuming that some of these companies need access to maintain their business, they just don't want anyone else (you and me)spoiling their view?
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

can anyone confirm or disconfirm this? I think it should be verified before we boycott. Sound fair? I mean, thats alot of companies and some of them seem like they wouldnt exist if it wasnt for offroading.
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Interesting.... I know a couple of folks at the 2 bike company's on the list (I work for a bike manufacturer) and I say intersting as on of them is an avid 4 wheeler with a sick Bronco (good sick) and the touring company rely on four wheel drives to ferry there clients about offroad, and I'm sure they aren't alone!
                  Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

I have a friend who lives near there researching this for us.

Comment

I've seen this list too on a few sites, I agree it should be researched. I might have bought gas at the Chevron last year.
                      *Pebbles* 02 Sport Canyon Package
                      Rockers by JCFabAndDesign.com/XM Commander
                      Jeep Owner since '96 87YJ

Comment

I have to say I that this is a list going around 4x4 web sites, I pulled it a posted it here.
                        I reveiwed the list and the fact that it contains a long list that includes addresses and 9 digit zip codes, I felt this was a lot of research that someone had gone through and that most people would not have gone this far if it were not a true post. That said, I cannot think of a reason someone would have issue with 30 companies, I will research this further and post results of my findings.

Comment

I cannot think of a reason someone would have issue with 30 companies
                          Dis-information. By people boycotting companies that count on 4x4 patronage, those companies might second think their support of access for offroad vehicles. This would be an effective way for the "greenies" to errode support in areas that normal support the off-road community.

Just playing devil-advocate
                          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

so far I have gone to the moab chamber of commerce, they have a recording on their phone and no answer, I have called businesses on the list, One busid=ness so far has denied it, That was Jeff at slickrock cafe, however the contact I was given was a Hans Fuegi in another town as being the owner
                            I have been hung up on once, told no comment, and once told," How did this get out?"
                            However, I have only one confirmed no, I continue to call
                            untill I get a definte yes or no I will not post a business name.

Comment

I have gone to the Moab chamber of commerce and only contacted an answering machine.
                              I started calling businesses on the list and only have one confirmed reply
                              Slickrock Cafe, the GM a Jeff, states no, hopwever the owner is not there to comment. Jeff mentions they are all into 4xers.
                              besides that I have had 3 other replies, one hangup, one no comment, and one "how did that get out?" but no confirmed yes or nos, I will not state a business untill I get a yes or no

Comment

Working...
                              X