Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California State Parks "Takeover" of the OHMVR Program

Have you ever wheeled in Hungry Valley? Rowher Flats? Ocotillo Wells? Hollister Hills? Oceano Dunes? Truckhaven? or any of the California State Vehicular Recreation areas (SVRAs)? These areas are managed by the California Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division. The law that authorizes this program (and that authorizes the tax money that funds the program) expires at the end of 2017. The California State Parks has proposed to absorb the OHMVR division (and its money). Many in the OHV community are concerned because the State Parks Department has not been friendly to OHV users.

The California Department of Parks and Recreations (DPR or "State Parks") has just issued a news release announcing a public meeting at the Ontario Airport Doubletree Hotel on Thursday evening, August 11 from 6 pm to 9 pm to discuss plans to reorganize the OHMVR Program.

[COLOR="#0000CD"]NOTICE OF OPEN HOUSE
    California Department of Parks and Recreation
    July 27, 2016
    The California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) serves the public by bringing
    families and friends together and providing an wide array of recreational opportunities
    for the benefit and enjoyment of all people while protecting and preserving California’s
    most significant natural and cultural resources. DPR accomplishes this not only through
    delivering services to 280 parks across the state, but also through programs that
    support local, regional and national recreation activities.
    The Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division (OHMVR) is a vital program that is
    recognized across the country as the leader in off-highway vehicle recreation. While
    DPR operates nine state vehicular recreation areas, the vast majority of recreation
    occurs on other lands supported through this robust division.
    On June 3, 2016, DPR Director Lisa Mangat provided an update to the California OffHighway
    Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission and members of the public on the
    department’s Organizational Structure Opportunities Project (Project). At that meeting,
    Director Mangat stated that there would be additional opportunities for public
    engagement in this process.
    The public is invited attend an open house to learn about the effort to review DPR’s
    organization structure. Through the Project the department seeks to identify
    opportunities to elevate and strengthen all of its programs, including OHMVR and the
    services it provides. (Information on the Project can be found online at
    www.parks.ca.gov/ShapingOurFuture.)
    The open house will provide a forum for the public to learn about the Organizational
    Structure Opportunities Project and for DPR to hear from the stakeholders. The
    members of the California Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Commission have been
    invited to attend; the commission will not be taking any action on any matters at this
    open house.
    Open House – City of Ontario
    Date: Thursday, Aug. 11, 2016
    Time: 6 to 9 p.m.
    222 N. Vineyard Avenue, Ontario, CA 91764-4431
    (909) 937-0900
    Meeting facilities are accessible to people with disabilities. If you need specific
    accommodations, please contact Vicki Perez at (916) 324-4442.[/COLOR]
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Dangit, I'll be in AZ otherwise I might try to make it.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I wasn't able to attend the session up here in Sacramento, but the impression I got from folks who did was that its a sham - they are looking to restructure so that its easier to reallocate the OHV money to other things (ie, not OHV). The bureaucrats can't resist what they see as a pile of money that is generated by OHV not being accessible to them for their own use (ie, non-OHV parks, general budget items). If we don't put up a huge pushback to this, kiss the much of the OHV budget away for OHV expansion projects, trail maint, etc.

Comment

I will not be able to attend because I will be participating in the Cal4Wheel Sierra Trek that day. I hope that many MJR members will be able to attend and show support for the OHMVR program.
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
        X