• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAC meeting in Victorville Sat Mar 26

Posted by Jeff Knoll on Pirate

March 26, 2011, 8:00am - 4:00pm
    Hilton Garden Inn, 12603 Mariposa Rd, Victorville, CA

The regularly scheduled DAC (Desert Advisory Commitee)Will be likely the last time the public will be able to comment on the SRP (special recreation Permits) Process. If you have not been living in a cave you will know that the BLM has been attempting to enforce the national Stipulations for SRPs since the California 200 BLM Investigation report was released. The report released on November 19th detailed the potential weakness in the management of SRP’s in the California Desert District. BLM National Director Bob Abbey issued instructions to all BLM field offices nationwide that “reinforce the importance of following our procedures aimed at ensuring safety at all these events throughout the west. My clear directive is: if field offices cannot fulfill or complete all the required steps in authorizing this event, then no permit will be issued.” The Director's policy can be viewed at http://www.blm.gov/

While Large events such as KOH can weather the storm, there are a host of smaller events that have struggled to continue. Events like the Long standing Cal 4 wheel "High Desert Round up" will face large increases in costs to continue in part to the BLM requirement to have a large number of Monitors on site during the event to report back on if the event followed the rules.

I firmly beilive that if smaller OHV events can not continue, OHV will suffer. These events are for some the first opportunity to be educated on responsable use of public lands when it comes to off-road travel.

I feel so strongly I have been working on this subject since shortly after the Ca 200 and have now been found myself in a postion that I will be able to go to Washington to meet with the National Director of the BLM Bob Abbey.

What I need from you.
    Please if you can make the time attend the DAC meeting this Sat. Do So!
    If you do not want to speak, then don't, but showing the strength of numbers will get the point across. Wear something that identifies you as an OHV user.

If you want to speak, you will have only 3 minutes to do so, so please have your thoughts in order. Remember that the DAC is just an advisory commitee to the Callifornia Desert District(CDD) of the BLM. The manager of the CDD, as well as all the BLM field offices are present at this meeting.

The policy that is settled on will shape the national policy for SRP management on BLM land. It is not just a fight here in California. That is why I feel so passionate about this subject. For my entire adult life we have fought land closures, and none of them have ever scared me as much as this one. This policy could stop Organized OHV recreation on land that has been set aside for OHV by making it too expensive. Clubs that wish to host an event to attract new members are required to get a permit. With the current SRP stipulations they may have to pay Cost recovery. Cost recovery is where a SRP holder is required to pay the BLM for every cost it incures executing the duties of the event. Labor, Gas, vehicle wear, and other overhead. This is not just for racing events, it is for all events, from Trail rides, to rocket launching Boy scouts.

As an Example, The Tin Bender Jamboree may be required to pay for a lot of the same things as the King of the Hammers under the BLM SRP Stipulations. That is an event that has historiclly cleaned up the Johnson Valley OHV area, and raised money for land use. Not a commercial event. They may be required to pay the BLM to have Monitors watching you recreate.

I will be unable to attend the meeting on Sat, as I am working at the Mint 400 in Nevada, but I have spoken with a member of the DAC and have made arrangements for my testimony to be submitted in writing. I attended the last DAC meeting. Less than 10 people showed up to speak on the subject, but the 10 people got the point across and extended the debate on the subject. Imagine what 100 can do?

The lines of communication are open, but I need ammo when I go to Washington in the form of the strength and passion of the OHV community. I need to be able to show the BLM we want a fair national policy that does not force grass roots OHV recreational events to stop being orgnaized, and lose that first contact to educate OHV users about responsable OHV use. I need to show The National Director that Our local OHV voice is strong.

I am not doing this as a commercial event promoter, I am doing this on my own accord in an effort to help save OHV events on BLM land.

My testimony to the DAC is below, Please help me if you can. Spread the word, make this viral, get engaged and activate the OHV community on this subject. We can make a difference.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Jeff Knoll
    Rich
Working...
X