Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleghorn trails blocked??

So I went to the cleg today to cruise around with my friend and really test out the new lift, and a lot o the side trails were blocked. They were covered with a ton of loose dirt, big rocks, and bushes on top of that. Does anyone know why by any chance? The trail was rougher than I've ever seen it from all the rain we had, but why would they close off so many off shoots just because of that? Who could I call to find out more about that?
    -Justin

Not having seen what you saw, just going by your description here's my take on it.
    The trails are adopted by clubs. The clubs duty is to maintain the trail and keep it open. To keep the trail from being closed they have to remove any parts of the trail that are not part of the original track and repair the original route that become dangerous. That normally means, the real fun spur's and off shoots get closed. For many years I was involved with a different trail, and quite often we had to get up there and repair something someone else did. Based on your post it looks like a large club effort went into it.

Scott
    Come to the dark side.....
    We have Cookies!

Comment

I figured that's the case, but there wasn't a club or organization posted on the adopt a trail sign at the trailhead that I could contact just to see what's up.
      -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by jeep_punk View Post
        Who could I call to find out more about that?
        Cajon Ranger Station
        1209 Lytle Creek Road
        Lytle Creek, CA 92358
        (909) 382-2851
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

bummer. i had heard all the good parts were unofficial and subject to close by a ranger up there once. i guess thats it then....no more cleghorn fun stuff. those trails were really starting to get interesting as they eroded.
          KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Well maybe time to lend a hand and put a good effort in to repair what needs repairing, I know some illegal bypasses had been cut, since some of the main spurs got a little tough

Comment

i think all the stuff other then the groomed dirt road is illegal. not much chance of getting them reopened either id think

Comment

Thanks for the number. I just got off the phone with them and the trails are closed for "trail rehab and maintnence." It's just so they can replant some areas, block the illegally trailed areas, and fix some of the more severe errosion. No estimated time of reopening. It all looked really fresh and recent, so chances are it might be a while I'm guessing.

Don't worry, there's still a lot open though!
                -Justin

Comment

is the first squeeze still there? the spot above this area labeled "hardest part" on dirtopia?
                  http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Cleghorn_Ridge

Comment

This one?

if so then no, that's closed as well..
                    -Justin

Comment

I think they are blowing smoke up your trail.We were threaten with this last year.These trails have been there along time and with a trail sponsor who cut them. Makes you think that the anti off roaders
                      are on the loose to shut down off roading as we know it.When these people get done all that will be left are the nice and smooth fire roads.
                      You can make it

Comment

Lets get in touch with who ever is in charge of trail maintenance and get it all fixed up.
                        Bitching about it will not get you anywhere

Comment

I think they want these closed for good

http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow
                          You can make it

Comment

Originally posted by flatout View Post
                            I think they want these closed for good

http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow
                            dang, well it was fun while it lasted. looks like every offshoot is blocked. i wonder what was the straw that broke the camels back or if it was just scheduled to be closed

Comment

That is a darn shame, looks like they made that quite permanent

Comment

Working...
                              X