Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barker Ranch Update

I thought I would let you all know that some people have been in close communication with the NPS and it looks like Barker Ranch may indeed be saved (in some fashion). Let me share with you an email from a good friend of mine who has been in touch with NPS directly.

"I received a communication from the NPS regarding the fate of the Barker Ranch. They seem open to the idea of saving the structure and not demolishing it. They are proposing that NPS staff remove the roof. They see the unsupported roof as a safety hazard and then at some point soon after that, have volunteers come in and do cleanup and wall stabilization. I am in the process of setting up a Web Site, savebarkerranch.com for the purpose of recruiting volunteers and channeling donations. Once again the NPS is very encouraged by the public support of the historic site. I will keep all of you apprised of further developments as I become aware."

This is still very early in the process, but the people involved in working with NPS are top notch and likely names you know.

If Sarah and the Mods of MJR approve, I would ask that those who are interested in helping this cause keep abreast of this post (and future posts), along with the website that will be up shortly (we need to set some things up and tentative word came from NPS only arrived on Friday...........please allow us a week or so to finalize a bit more).

Please feel free to PM me with any special information not for public consumption. For those that wish to donate time, resources, or money the website will be

www.savebarkerranch.com

I will let you all know as things progress. Ultimately, this needs to be disseminated far beyond MJR as so very many people love Barker Ranch. This is really my only board (because the people are so exceptional), so I hope you will all carry the message further afield. Please keep in mind that it is way too early to promise or to expect anything, but the tide is moving in a positive direction. Let's keep the ball moving forward and Save Barker Ranch!

I thought you would all like to know.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Brian, This is good news. You can count me in. I love this place. I still have all my tools from when I was in construction and will help in any way I can
    Check out .

Comment

Really great news!

Comment

Yep! I'm there. Have tools and will travel.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Heck yeah! Count me in!
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Brian,

This is the response that I told you about! I'll will be there as needed. Oh, you know I won't do the other stuff but I'll be be there for this.

Thanks for the call!

Mitch

Comment

As a carpenter & a general contractor in my younger days, you can count me in & my truck & tools to help with the framing, roofing, finish work, whatever!

Thanks for taking his on!
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

I'll be there!

Comment

Moving Forward

Thanks to all those that wish to help. I spoke to Cass (who is spearheading this project at present) this evening to let him know of the positive response. Here is what I found out.

The website should be up and running next week and will be accepting donations via Paypal. We have told the NPS that we believe the off-road community can and will supply the majority of the manpower and resources necessary to accomplish this task. The NPS is way low of funds for this kind of thing so without our support BR is likely finished.

Cass and Rick Russell will be leading the charge for www.savebarkerranch.com

Cass is heading to Barker this weekend to take more documentary pictures and has discussed this trip with the NPS.

Cass is hoping to speak with On The Rocks TV people about using the Barker Ranch video in conjunction with this effort. More to come......

Cal4Wheel has been informed of these efforts, and we are hopeful of working with them on this effort. This is not yet official at this time, but I believe this can happen. I personally have mentioned this to our friends Helen & Harry Baker. I suspect that Cass & Rick will make a more formal presentation to these constituents in the near future and that we can all work together to accomplish this goal.

There is no word yet as to how much repair work we will be allowed to do. Certainly, we are hopeful that we can make BR a useable adopt-a-cabin again. Realistically, the primary goal is to be allowed to do enough restorative work to keep BR open for furture visitation and to prevent it's closure.

Cass will need organizers and leaders to help with this project. Please contact him if this sort of thing appeals to you.

If you want or need more information please contact Cass directly at

zyzxx1069 "AT" yahoo "DOT" com

or myself at

ecvjeep "AT" verizon "DOT" net

Please indicate your affiliation with MJR in your emails. If things progress far enough on this I am hoping to ask Sarah & Co. to participate in a more formal manner such that MJR can be officially recognized for their committment to preserving and enhancing the off-road community.

Again, I will periodically update this post as more informatin becomes available.

Comment

Barker Ranch

I'm in too.
                    Sorry for the late response.
                    This was on my list of things to see.
                    It really sucks that someone would do this.

But again,
                    count me in...

Scott

Comment

Do you have a press release or something that we can post to other forums/user groups?

Thanks for spreaheading something like this. One of the reasons I got into off-roading was to explore historic places in the backcountry. It's great to see the OHV community step up and continue to do positive things for the reputation of the OHV community.

MJR has really fostered this idea.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I spoke with Cass this evening, and there has been some press on this issue related to his efforts. I will post here once I have more definitive information. If you wish to post with other boards, you can either link to this post (if the Mods approve) or copy the information from the original post in this thread and repost elsewhere. Your help in getting the word out is appreciated.

As posted previously, Cass is the best source for information........though I will do my best to keep MJR informed.

The delay we are experiencing currently stems from the need for the NPS to complete there assessment. Once completed, we will have a better idea about the nature of the restoration to be completed.

I suspect the website to reflect updates within the next week or so. Again, please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Comment

The latest.........new pictures of Barker Ranch are up on the site and show the extent of the damage. It is pretty severe.

Cass is waiting for the NPS to remove the roof (perhaps place it off to the side) so that the area is safe enough for volunteers to enter and begin working. No timeline on any of this yet, but thought I would let you all know.

The pictures can be seen at www.savebarkerranch.com

Comment

Thanks Brian for keeping us updated.

I studied the photos the best I could and it seems like the corrigated steel roofing could be reused. I am very surprised that the sheets weren't warped and/or melted from the heat.

The old & dry wood must have burnt up in a matter of minutes for the steel to not show much damage.
                            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                            MJR moderator
                            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

All the old timbers supporting the roof burned up. The rood is now left with the old nails protruding out underneath. I can see why the NPS would not be comfortable with this situation. We certainly hope to be able to reframe the roof, and reinstall the steel. We just have to wait and see, and work with the NPS and other interested folks on this partnership.

Comment

Working...
                              X