Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAC Tour & Meeting Report

This post does not bear good news, so if after reading it, you want to shoot the messenger, fire away. If on the other hand, you recognize that the messenger is not the enemy, then perhaps you need to realize that you need to take a more proactive stance to save Johnson Valley.

Helen
    www.pfjv.org

I attended the DAC tour on Friday, and I too heard all of the wonderful comments made by the DAC members and the others in attendance. Incidentally, in case you didn't get to meet him, San Bernardino County First District Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt went on the ride.

It was truly wonderful that all of you gave freely of your time and your equipment to show the Advisory Council just how special Johnson Valley is to all of us. I know that by the end of the day you were all pretty hyped up over the how well your efforts were received. I have no doubt that there was a great deal of 'bench racing' done by the DAC members on their way back to Barstow. I bet there was a lot of "I can top that stories" of daring-do by their drivers. With this tour being an unqualified success, and without a doubt, one of the best that has ever been presented to the DAC, I, and I'm sure all of you had high hopes that surely the DAC would be very vocal in their comments to the BLM and the Military, that Johnson Valley MUST be saved.

I went to the DAC meeting the following day, with visions of grand statements of support for saving Johnson Valley dancing in my head.

What did I hear instead? The sounds of silence! The rave reviews of the previous day were nowhere to be heard. The DAC members were back to business as usual, and when the representative for the Barstow BLM gave the required report of the previous day's tour, what did it consist of? Words to the effect of, 'What you saw yesterday was just a small part of Johnson Valley, there's more to it than just that one area.' HUH? To say that I was shocked by the failure to recognize the effort that went in to giving the DAC members, the 'ride of their life,' is a gross understatement!

I know that the volunteers were thanked on Friday out on the lakebed, but frankly, none of that is part of the public record, and in general terms, if it ain't in the minutes, it didn't happen.

I will give credit to Steve Borchard, the California Desert District Manager, who did make a statement for the record. Mr. Borchard said, "It was an exciting and illustrative ride, thanks to the volunteers and their equipment."

Later in the meeting, following a briefing by Col. Weston, USMC, I thought that surely, now the DAC members would speak up in support of saving Johnson Valley, after all they could make their statement directly to the Colonel. Didn't happen. At no time during the meeting, did the council take any position of support for saving Johnson Valley.

There was one bright point in the day, and that was when DAC member Dinah Shumway pointedly challenged the Marines by saying, you should include looking at wilderness areas, because everyone should be asked to support the military, not just the recreationalists! She continued, "No one sector of our community should be asked to sacrifice." I thought, perhaps now, the council would speak out to save Johnson Valley. They did not.

Did the advisory council give any advice to the BLM during the meeting? Yes, they asked them to implement the following rules on BLM land: no wood with metal, no glass, and implement a 10:00 PM curfew for noise. Oh yes, and some other motion about putting up more signs.

All and all, I was hugely disappointed in the BLM and the DAC, and I am very proud of the Off Road Community.

Helen,

Thank you again for the continued efforts on all of these issues. Sorry again for the continued disappointment and the lack of support that we get on these issues. You truly are leading the charge and I hope that someday your efforts will be hugely rewarded. I feel that if the DAC, Council people, our Representitives..... are not off-road recreationalists, they just won't and don't get it.

Thank you for you dedication,

Mitch

Comment

Betty Munson, who posts on Pirate as Ranchotaj, is the President of the Johnson Valley Improvement Association. Betty also writes a weekly column for the Yucca Valley Hi-Desert Star. Betty would like to include the names of the clubs that participated in the March 20, 2009 DAC tour in her next article.

So, if you were there, post up. Betty's deadline is Tuesday, March 24.

Helen Baker
      pfjv.org

Comment

Harry and Helen-

Betty signed the petition today, can you make sure she puts the petition in her article?

Thanks

Tam
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
          Harry and Helen-

Betty signed the petition today, can you make sure she puts the petition in her article?

Thanks

Tam
          Tammy,

I saw an advance copy of Betty's article today, the link to the petition is in it. Let's just hope that the editor doesn't do any editing.

By the way Tammy, Betty is another STRONG woman!

Helen

Comment

Originally posted by bakerhab View Post
            Tammy,

I saw an advance copy of Betty's article today, the link to the petition is in it. Let's just hope that the editor doesn't do any editing.

By the way Tammy, Betty is another STRONG woman!

Helen
            Betty just forwarded me a copy. This article will appear in the HiDesert Star on Saturday

On Friday, Mar. 20, there was an unusual gathering of extreme four wheelers out on Means Dry Lake, surrounding a yellow bus.
            The occasion was the quarterly BLM field trip with the Desert Advisory Council. They came to Johnson Valley, to visit the world-famous Hammers trails.
            (Possibly word had reached the BLM that something goes on in this neck of the woods—er, rocks—that attracts people by the thousands, and not just for special events like the King of the Hammers Race.)
            County Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt rode along. Roxie Trost, District Manager for the BLM was asked when she came back, "Well, were you scared?" She exclaimed, "No, it was FUN!"

Helen Baker of the Partnership for Johnson Valley wrote on www.pirate4x4.com <http://www.pirate4x4.com/> , "It was truly wonderful that all of you gave freely of your time and your equipment to show the Advisory Council just how special Johnson Valley is to all of us...With this tour being an unqualified success, and without a doubt, one of the best that has ever been presented to the DAC, I, and I'm sure all of you, had high hopes that surely the DAC would be very vocal in their comments to the BLM and the Military, that Johnson Valley MUST be saved."

But Helen goes on to report that, sadly, at the follow-up meeting on Saturday, little was said about the outing.
            Too bad. We heard their excitement ourselves when the rigs returned to camp. Once again, it looks like the message gets across, but does not get passed on, to higher-ups and decision makers. The Desert Advisory Council offered no advice that Johnson Valley must be saved, for all kinds of recreation.
            Colonel Wes Weston, USMC, and Joe Ross, Land Acquisition Program Manager, were at Means, also, and they heard. The Marines make a persuasive case for the expansion of the Base, to train to safely execute national strategies planned far, far away.
            We must continue to make the case that the community of Johnson Valley, the visitors who use the Open Riding Area, the local economy and the economy of the state of California will be hit a body blow if we are closed out of these unique public lands forever.
            There's just nowhere else like it.
            The extreme four wheelers certainly did their best to make the case. There were over 20 rigs there, this on a work day, come together to show the BLM and DAC people just what the shouting was all about.
            You may not be particularly interested in this kind of recreation, but these people deserve credit for helping Johnson Valley.The Victor Valley 4 Wheelers were represented; they are the intrepid folks who first developed trails in impassable rocky canyons. Extreme Wheelers 4 Christ was another name we saw. Thanks to Helen for this list of some of the others: Bear Valley 4 Wheelers, CA4WDC, CORVA, Chuckwalla 4x4, Friends of Johnson Valley, Inland Empire 4 Wheelers, NAXJA, PFJV, Tin Benders and Waywegos. Praise to all.

See trail photos by Max Yedor on the "thank you" thread on www.pirate4x4.com <http://www.pirate4x4.com/> .
            • And how about signing an on-line petition? Log on to www.savejohnsonvalley.com <http://www.savejohnsonvalley.com>
            Im thrilled We need articles like this all over!

Tam
            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Awesome!!
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
              X