Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Coordinates Needed!! Please help.

Just passing on information. If you can, please help out on this one.

The list of potential new Wilderness areas is mind boggeling!!!! Talk about a huge potential LAND GRAB!

URGENT: GPS Data Needed by February 28, 2009
    The below is of immediate importance to southern Cal. All of Cal will ultimately be affected. If you know of an individual please send this along. I am not sure I want this to the general chit-chat list at this time. The need of GPS data in southern Cal is urgent.

URGENT: GPS Data Needed by February 28, 2009

There is a critical need to identify routes used for recreation in the southern California desert area from U.S-Mexico border north to Mono Lake.

The California Wilderness Coalition is preparing a proposed wilderness bill to be introduced this Congressional Session. We have an opportunity to argue to exclude routes used by recreation.

I need YOUR assistance. I need YOUR data you have collected during your many trips to the deserts and mountains of southern California.

Specifically, I am requesting the following:

1 - GPS track log data for all routes used by CA4WDC events. This data should include as a minimum trail start and end points, headquarters and staging areas, and camping areas.

2 - GPS track log data for all routes used by CA4WDC member clubs for their events. This data should also include as a minimum trail start and end points, headquarters and staging areas, and camping areas.

3 - GPS track log data for all routes used by CA4WDC members they consider important for their recreation opportunity. This data should also include as a minimum trail start and end points and camping areas.

Your track logs can be in one of the following forms:
    Garmin MapSource (a file you save with the extension .gdb)
    National Geographic TOPO (a file you save with the extension .tpo)
    Terrain Navigator (a file you save with the extension .gdb or .gpx)
    Map Create (a file you save with the extension .usr)

In general, if you have a Garmin, Magellan, or Lowrance GPS receiver and it came with map display software, you can transfer data from your GPS to a file.

If you have existing tracklog data on your GPS, download it and send it to me by e-mail.

If you have a desire to visit places in the desert at risk of closure, specific areas of interest are:

Death Valley National Park, Avawatz Mountains, Kingston Range Addition, Soda Mountains, Cady Mountains, Sleeping Beauty, Great Falls Basin, Trilobite Additions, Clipper Mountains Additions, Malpais Mesa Addition, Slate Range, Palo Verde Additions, Vinagre Wash Complex, Indian Pass Additions, and Table Mountains.

This effort is not limited to the BLM Desert District. As the travel management projects move forward, the Motorized Vehicle User Maps will be reviewed every year. Having the same data used by the agencies will assist in keeping routes each year and potentially adding routes to the system. This is a long term effort to collect data on all routes of importance to recreation.

Again, I am looking for as much data on routes as possible. You can help by sending me your GPS data.

If you have any questions, please email: john@muirnet.net, or call: 619-390-8747 or 619-... .

I need as much data as possible by February 28, 2009.
    Moderator, MUIRNet - Multiple Use Information Resource Network - http://www.muirnet.net
    Last edited by LadyRed; 01-30-09, 10:15 AM. Reason: additions
    Stacie Albright
    Life Member BlueRibbon Coalition
Working...
X