Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by goodtimes
    I agree, except that I have never met ANYONE who has "built" their own jeep (despite what some will try to tell you). Has anyone ever met anyone who has cast their own differential housings, turned their own axle tubes, machined their own gears, etc, etc, etc?
    Spoken like somebody that has no idea which end of a wrench is which...

Leave a comment:

• Bumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by qwiksilver
    I'm adopted too. Illegally in fact. Odd story.

Sorry, couldn't resist those 2 cents.
    No Problem Crickett!

This is what makes the internet & the Jeeping community so wonderful!

I know I didn't grow up in poverty & was well taken care of as a child. But I still had many issues & problems I faced growing up. I was the only Asian kid in a town that was all white & divided by being either Catholic/Christian or Jewish. Never had a girlfriend until high school (because of being asian...& yes, that IS the reason) & luckily never got picked on at school because all my older brothers would have kicked their a$$ (our family was well know for my brothers being "big"...all are 6'3-6'5). I've been yelled at by old people in Boston (where I went to college) because they said my ex-wife & I were an abomination (I've only dated & am attracted to Caucasion women). I've had an ex-girlfriend (who was Jewish) taken away from me when I was in college because I wasn't Jewish & was Asian...we talked about getting married & then that happened. Then I met my ex-wife (2 years later) & struggled for 3 years after I graduated (living paycheck to paycheck). Got married & moved to NH for a job. She hit rock bottom with depression & was diognosed with major depression & High Anxioty. We moved in with my ex-in-laws in CT because I thought I was doing the right thing by moving somewhere I didn't want to live so that she could be closer to family & friends. I ended up being sucked into the internet "Everquest" to deal with the stress of living there & the stress of her depression! That is where our marriage started to fail. On a trip to Philidelphia for work, I just had a breakdown & knew I was unhappy & wanted out of the marriage. We had built a house together with all of our savings (I thought that would help make her happy & save the marriage) & had lived in it for only 1 year before I moved out & moved back up to MA. We used a mediator with the divorce because we both still loved each other as friends, but knew we could never be with each other...it wasn't meant to be. The divorce settlement finally ended this past September & luckily for me I had already found my soulmate, Holly! She isthe love of my life & makes me want to live life again. What sucks is that she's had a hard life with her own personal demons, lack of self confidence & being told she was ugly all her life. Also, my way of dealing with the divorce was going to the strip clubs & Hooters. She still doesn't understand how I could possibly want to be with her, when, in her eyes, I've seen better. I try to make her understand that she is the REAL DEAL for me & those places are long gone, especailly after being with her.

Why have I said all this...not really sure...but all I know is that I am finally happy with my life (minus some issues with Holly's lack of self confidence) & just want to enjoy everything that is happening in it. Holly & I are engaged & can't wait to be married. I know there will still be some rough times in my life to come, but opefully a lot more good ones than bad!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Bumpy
    Eric,

Thanks for the insight. I do thank & pray for my parents & family every night!

As for you being an adoptive parent...that is GREAT! On the flip side...I hope your kids understand what YOU & your Wife have done for them! I had a co-worker about 10 yrs. ago who adopted 2 (1 boy & 1 girl)...he would come into work with a heavy heart every day because they would keep saying to him & his wife that they aren't their real parents. I told him to bring them in to talk to me & I'll set those ungrateful kids straight. I would have told them that they could have been dead right now if they didn't open up thier hearts to adopt them. I was 3 when I was adopted from Korea. I was left at the door of an orphanage when I was like 1. I know that I would probably be dead right now if my birth mother didn't do that for me! as well as my parents adopting me!

As for my other adopted family members...1 sister is Spanish American, 2 brothers & 1 sister (the sick one) are Guatemalen (sp) and were all foster children with medical conditions first & 1 is from India.

As sick as it sounds...my parents wanted 10 kids when they talked about having a family for the first time.
    I'm adopted too. Illegally in fact. Odd story.

You know, your parents are the ones that put in the miles. Mom and I may not have gotten along during a certain period, but man would we fight like she-bears for each other (then go back to our arguement when danger was over). I know where my birth mother is. I was within striking distance a year ago (I was in Paris; she's in Munich), and I decided to skip it. I have met my aunt on bio-daddy's side. Found out about my genetics...which is interesting...won't mind turning 50 if I get to look like my aunt, but bio-daddy wanted nothing to do with me (which is why I can't get my Native American benefits)...so I said piss off. My Dad and I were tight. He taught me all I need to know to get along in life. Mom did too. I didn't have the easiest parents, but I had the most interesting and talented. At least to me. I thank God everyday I was given away. (Got a pretty neat brother in the bargain too...which led to the most charming niece and nephew. I just keep winning. )

Sorry, couldn't resist those 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• Bumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by NAILER341
    Your parents are sure busy, and gone waaay out of their way to see that many kids have a gifted life. i commend them for that... (not referring to the money)
    i, too am an addoptive parrent. my wife and i have 3 adopted kids, and i could only hope to one day have the resources to bestow upon my kids. my plan is to one day have a house for each of them to leave them with.. (long way from it)
    but, by no means should you be embarrased about your money, nor should you feel like you have to justify the way you spend it. everything comes with a price, and i'll bet none of your envious, "so called" friends would want to trade their life for yours..
    people sometimes only see the things that make them jealous. what i am saying is, you, as an adopted kid, must have had a rough time of it early on... so you are blessed later in life. i'll bet most of them wouldnt want your early days
    does that make sense?
    make sure you thank your parents OFTEN.
    Make yourself at home on this forum , and "brag" all you want j/k

Eric,

Thanks for the insight. I do thank & pray for my parents & family every night!

As for you being an adoptive parent...that is GREAT! On the flip side...I hope your kids understand what YOU & your Wife have done for them! I had a co-worker about 10 yrs. ago who adopted 2 (1 boy & 1 girl)...he would come into work with a heavy heart every day because they would keep saying to him & his wife that they aren't their real parents. I told him to bring them in to talk to me & I'll set those ungrateful kids straight. I would have told them that they could have been dead right now if they didn't open up thier hearts to adopt them. I was 3 when I was adopted from Korea. I was left at the door of an orphanage when I was like 1. I know that I would probably be dead right now if my birth mother didn't do that for me! as well as my parents adopting me!

As for my other adopted family members...1 sister is Spanish American, 2 brothers & 1 sister (the sick one) are Guatemalen (sp) and were all foster children with medical conditions first & 1 is from India.

As sick as it sounds...my parents wanted 10 kids when they talked about having a family for the first time.

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    Your parents are sure busy, and gone waaay out of their way to see that many kids have a gifted life. i commend them for that... (not referring to the money)
    i, too am an addoptive parrent. my wife and i have 3 adopted kids, and i could only hope to one day have the resources to bestow upon my kids. my plan is to one day have a house for each of them to leave them with.. (long way from it)
    but, by no means should you be embarrased about your money, nor should you feel like you have to justify the way you spend it. everything comes with a price, and i'll bet none of your envious, "so called" friends would want to trade their life for yours..
    people sometimes only see the things that make them jealous. what i am saying is, you, as an adopted kid, must have had a rough time of it early on... so you are blessed later in life. i'll bet most of them wouldnt want your early days
    does that make sense?
    make sure you thank your parents OFTEN.
    Make yourself at home on this forum , and "brag" all you want j/k

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I like our Protestant/Puritan way of thinking. That we must apologize for good fortune. BAH! Ride that good fortune and enjoy it. I wish you well with it.

We all go through bad time that make us wonder why the hell we were born and then go through good times that make us happy we were...then it's back down again...then up. C'est la vie.

(BTW...I know about the dad-with-cancer-number 2 thing. It was hard dealing with the fact that a man who had been a mountain in my life was my size before he died. I lost it for a while.)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by mikeythefireman
    I thought the reason, or at least part of it, that we got on these forums was to brag. Go for it. Anybody says anything, just chalk it up to Penis envy. Can I say penis on here? Cause I'd hate to offend anybody by saying penis. Penis can be a very offensive word in the wrong context. It'd be horrible if people were offended by my use of the word penis. Penis. Penis. Penis.

Now, where was I.

Sorry, I've been feeling a bit silly today and the atmosphere here at work has been stuffy and not at all understanding of my silliness. Thank you for understanding.

Penis.
    What offense? Would you be offended if I said Tits? Brings back good memories. Duzintit? (I know. I'm a :oink: )

Leave a comment:

• Bumpy
    replied
    Re: Re: What is the fine line between...

Originally posted by qwiksilver
    You were bragging? I thought you were telling an interesting story. I don't really know you, but from that story, I would like to. I like people with interesting stories.
    I used to have a '98 TJ that Chris on this board has bought. I also used to lease a '02 BMW 330i that my friends on that board knew I had. I never refered to the car as my "Bimmer", "BMW", etc...only as my car or daily driver. I also (same as here) posted my fiance's new '00 Dodge Ram Truck (future Jeep Puller) and then followed by the post of our new house in AZ. I did (stupidly) originally post the price of the house because I thought they were friends & not in a bragging way, wanted them to see how much of a great deal we got on the house. I later edited the post & took the price out. Like I said, I know these people & have wheeled with them & thought that they would understand what my point was, at the time.

But, yes, I too would love to meet all you guys in the CA area. I plan to make a trip out to CA to meet up with Chris, Tammy & the rest of ya when I finally get my jeep & get the time to get away from school.

Originally posted by NAILER341
    as far as the "how to" sorry for you, bro... (i hope that doesnt sound like a slam) you are very lucky to have the parents that you do . whenever they get sick is NO GOOD.B]
    Eric...I don't take it the wrong way. I've gone through alot of personal reflect with my whole family situation. I stopped drinking & am starting to live my life again & am finally close to being completely happy. I COMPLETELY know how LUCKY I am! I have tons of friends & thier family members who are struggling through life everyday. I am happy that all those "real" freinds understand & are very happy for me. I've been through alot the past few years (divorce, family health issues, Station Fire in Warwick, RI...I decided not to go to the Great White show 3 hours before it burned down). Believe me, my fiance also doesn't know how to not feel that she doesn't deserve to be with me when her freinds are also struggling & we are going out & buying things for our new house. It is a kinda a good & bad feeling to have....good that we don't have to worry, bad because we feel like so many other people deserve it more than we do.

Anyway...

Mike that made both me & my fiance laugh our a$$es off.....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by goodtimes

All jeeps are bought. The rubicon is simply a different starting point....one that lets you finance some pretty cool options. But in the end, it gets modified like all the others. A jeep is a jeep is a jeep.
    As long as it has the Just Empty Every Pocket label, it will be a machine that is a constant building and rebuilding project.

Leave a comment:

• mikeythefireman
    replied
    I thought the reason, or at least part of it, that we got on these forums was to brag. Go for it. Anybody says anything, just chalk it up to Penis envy. Can I say penis on here? Cause I'd hate to offend anybody by saying penis. Penis can be a very offensive word in the wrong context. It'd be horrible if people were offended by my use of the word penis. Penis. Penis. Penis.

Now, where was I.

Sorry, I've been feeling a bit silly today and the atmosphere here at work has been stuffy and not at all understanding of my silliness. Thank you for understanding.

Penis.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: What is the fine line between...

Originally posted by Bumpy
    Kinda a serious question:

What is the fine line between bragging/gloating & being excited about your fortunate situation (eg. new cars, etc.) ?

Just wondering because ( I would like the THANK ALL YOU guys for your nice responses to my posts, unlike other friends on another posting board) on a posting board I have real friends I have met in person with, no one except for maybe 2 people respond to any of my posts anymore...not even posts to say I arrived in AZ safely

You were bragging? I thought you were telling an interesting story. I don't really know you, but from that story, I would like to. I like people with interesting stories.

I know how you feel about the whole Jeep envy thing. Let me swap a story with you and maybe you won't feel so bad.

My grandfather died and left me a bit. My old 280Z was dying so I bought a 2002 New Beetle (since traded for the Jeep) and paid cash for it. I paid off my debts and invested. I also bought a few little luxuries like that $700 Moroccan table.

Two people were absolutely horrible to me. My receptionist at work said she didn't want to hear anything about my good fortune (she was also jealous because my relationship was working and hers fell apart) and that is when my relationship with my boyfriend went south (yeah, really good relationship).

Those two had such a bad case of envy that it has since put me off to them. One I am forced to be civil to and I keep the other afraid of me so he will stay away. I refuse to deal with such shallow people.

Moral: Our society has us so hung up on items that we lose sight of ideas. Yes, it's good to drool over such a worthy machine, but it is wrong to blame the owner for one's own inability to own one. It is great to long for adventure, but wrong to blame the adventurer for one's own inability to have one.

Healthy people look at you and see inspiration; unhealthy people look at you and see only something negative.

I see inspiration for adventure, and to build my own Jeep up.

See how that works?

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    souds like one bad ass jeep in the making! cant wait to see it on the trail
    as far as the "how to" sorry for you, bro... (i hope that doesnt sound like a slam) you are very lucky to have the parents that you do . whenever they get sick is NO GOOD.
    be sure to post progress pics

Leave a comment:

• Bumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by king4wd2
    I might sound a little off, but what is a MP3 cab? I've never heard of it. BTW, Bumpy welcome to MJR. You'll see a king4wd2 (that's me Sandra) and King4wd (that's my hubby Tom). You should gloat!
    Thanks for the welcome!

Anyway...the M3 Cab is a BMW M3 Convertible that should be in my hands by the end of November...it's on the boat as we speak & set to hit the CA shores on the 11th of November, then trucked out to AZ.

As for AEV...as mentioned above...American Expedition Vehicles out of Montana...Dave & his brother are really cool & great guys! They got me & my fiance 2 free passes into the SEMA show the first week in November in Las Vegas. The SEMA show is a non-public show of all aftermarket products & vehicles. AEV is showing their new Hemi version of their Rubicon. Mine will be the same as thier show Jeep except my rubicon won't have the Recarro leather seats their show one will or be the Orange color as thiers is.

Specs on my rubicon for those wondering:

'04 Solar Yellow Rubi
    Duel Tops
    V8 5.7L Hemi
    5 sp Auto
    4.5 RE LA (all gray painted black)
    OME (yellow) shocks
    4.88 Gears
    315/75R16 (35s)
    16x8 AEV Alloy Wheels
    ARB Front Bumper
    Warn XD9000i
    IPF Lights
    AEV Rock Rails
    Warn Rear Tire Carrier
    Skid Row Engine/Trans Skid
    OBA
    Custom AEV Full Cage painted Interior Color
    Heated Front Seats
    Power Windows
    New DC Nav./AM/FM/CD Radio
    HP D44 Front (not sure about manufacturer yet, but probably Currie)
    D60 Rear (not sure about manufacturer yet, but probably Currie)
    New Hood Design
    AEV Custom Exhaust

AEV won't be able to start on my jeep until after the SEMA show. So I won't be seeing it until about X-mas, even though I start payments on the Jeep the beginning of November I got 5.99% Chrysler financing on 2/3 of the price, so the Jeep will/is fully warrantied by DC & AEV out of the box & modified!

P.S....as some might have read in the I6 forum section...the I6, 4spd. Auto Trans, front & rear D44 w/DC air lockers will be up for sale as soon as they start on my Jeep & will be shipped out of AEV in Montana & a paypal account will be set-up through AEV to send the payments. Those will be paying for the Axle & Navigation system upgrades...The Tires & Rims looks to be sold already, but will let you guys know otherwise.

As for "How do I do it"...Lets say part IS from my hard work as an Engineer & part is being fortunate/lucky enough to have been adopted (1 of 6 adopted) by 2 loving parents who also raised 13 other brother & sisters too (8 are biological)! My father is dealing with his 2nd cancer (still doing well) & my youngest sister (22yrs old & also adopted) teeters on death & survival, needing 24hr care. My parents want to see the fruits of thier labor before they passed on (my father is in his 70s/mother late 60s) & see my 18 nephews & neices not go without anything they did as children.

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    here is an aev jeep for those of us that did'nt know VERY NICE.. VERY NICE!
    bumpy, is yours going to have the extended wheel base?
    http://www.aev-conversions.com/PreOwned.html
    and another from their site
    http://aev-conversions.com/Gallery104.html

Leave a comment:

• goodtimes
    replied
    Originally posted by PRegner
    I don't know why this situation seems to exist. ... Besides, not everyone can wield a wrench, and build a competent trail ready rig themselves...
    I agree, except that I have never met ANYONE who has "built" their own jeep (despite what some will try to tell you). Has anyone ever met anyone who has cast their own differential housings, turned their own axle tubes, machined their own gears, etc, etc, etc?

All jeeps are bought. The rubicon is simply a different starting point....one that lets you finance some pretty cool options. But in the end, it gets modified like all the others. A jeep is a jeep is a jeep.

And once you get your AEV rubicon (lucky bastard!!!!), we'll hook up and go play on some big a$$ rocks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X