Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Prejudice?

FIRSTLY, this IS an ADULT conversation.
    what do you think? does this look like some kind of prejudice?
    it just doesnt look right to me... not just because it is a white kid wearing it, but.. it just doesnt look right to me.
    what do you think?
    MATEUR ADULT ANSWERS ONLY, PLEASE!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Re: Is This Prejudice?

Originally posted by NAILER341

FIRSTLY, this IS an ADULT conversation.
    what do you think? does this look like some kind of prejudice?
    it just doesnt look right to me... not just because it is a white kid wearing it, but.. it just doesnt look right to me.
    what do you think?
    MATEUR ADULT ANSWERS ONLY, PLEASE!
    I can't read the rest of the shirt. I think it may be a scholastic club. If it is, I think it's great. No worse than Young Jeepin' Scholars. Just means like minded people networking together. The guy might have gotten his shirt from a friend who's in the club.

I am still in college and I have noticed that a large portion of the kids don't have our old views on race. In fact, some of the kids look confused when an older person brings up racial ideas.

Comment

LOL.. It is funny you say that. first off, it is my kid. he is 13 years old. it is a scholastic club. the first thought that came to my mind was that this was made to mock black kids. after him explaining to me that it is a real club... then my thoughts turned. i was then thinking "what makes it ok for them to have a black club" in school? would it be just as ok to have a "young WHITE schollars" club?
      i have raised my kids not to be prejudice, by the way... personally, i do use the N word on occasion,(not in front of the kids) but that does NOT refer to any specific "color" of person. it refers to "quality" of person. (or lack there of)
      now that, that is cleared up...
      i'm not quite sure how to feel about this shirt, and what it represents. from what he was saying, it is a part of the "negro college fund". are there ant "white people college funds?
      i hope i am not making a mistake bringing this HIGHLY contravercial subject to open forum.
      please keep your responses mateur.
      ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
        personally, i do use the N word on occasion
        Which "N" word are you refering to? There must be literally thousands of "N" words in the english language. Which begs the question, why doesn't our media have a problem with the word "Honky" (they don't refer to it as the "H" word). I could be as offended by the use of that word as a black person might be by the use of the word "Ni****"; yet nobody seems worried about incurring the wrath of the angry white man, as they are about black americans.

I believe pretty firmly that most of the racial tension in our country is fueled by our media. It's good ratings for them, it always has been, and more than likely will continue to be in our lifetime. We simply need to teach our children that there is only one "race" on our planet: The Human Race.

I think what upsets me more than most other things is the out of control Politically Correct movement that is rampant in this country (the media saying rediculous things like, "The "N" word", instead of actually using the word ni****, for one example). A word can only harm you if you let it, and political correctness is simply a carefully instrumented form of censorship.

I think I hear our founding fathers rolling over in their graves...
        Last edited by NAILER341; 10-17-03, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PRegner
          Which "N" word are you refering to? There must be literally thousands of "N" words in the english language. Which begs the question, why doesn't our media have a problem with the word "Honky" (they don't refer to it as the "H" word). I could be as offended by the use of that word as a black person might be by the use of the word "N****"; yet nobody seems worried about incurring the wrath of the angry white man, as they are about black americans.

I believe pretty firmly that most of the racial tension in our country is fueled by our media. It's good ratings for them, it always has been, and more than likely will continue to be in our lifetime. We simply need to teach our children that there is only one "race" on our planet: The Human Race.

I think what upsets me more than most other things is the out of control Politically Correct movement that is rampant in this country (the media saying rediculous things like, "The "N" word", instead of actually using the word n****, for one example). A word can only harm you if you let it, and political correctness is simply a carefully instrumented form of censorship.

I think I hear our founding fathers rolling over in their graves...
          heavy, man... heavy
          when i first read through your post, th thing that instantly came to mind was EDIT.. i have to edit tha post.. (and i still might)
          but, what you said is true, and said in an adult manner. that is a big word with a lot of power. we all know what it meant when it was first in the dictionary, but i dont think it means quite the same thing any more. i have used the word on more than one occasion, and 90% of the time it was used in referenc to non black people. so fo rme, atleast the word has evolved a bit...
          i am still oing to have to edit the post....
          it is in the same category as a curse word, and is EXTREMELY offensive to many on this board. this is an adult conversation, but out of respect for others it has to be sensored.
          Last edited by NAILER341; 10-17-03, 08:39 PM.
          ERIK

Comment

I don't mind that you edited my post; considering the context that most people consider the word n*****. In difference to those who may be offended, I will self edit from this point. I am a strict advocate of the freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean that I condone the use of profanity, or vulgarity in intelligent discussion...

Comment

Wow. I've had this discussion many times, with many people. Everyone comes to the conclusion that a Young White Scholar club for the sake of proving a point would be bad, but the same club for truly scholastic reasons would be good. Well a little girl somewhere in this country did it for me. In response to the Asian club, the Young Black Scholar club (or something similar) she created her white folk club. The school district tried to shut it down (they may have by now) but the ACLU and the local judicial system said it was not a violation of anybody's rights and the last I heard, the little girl kept her club. I think the kicker was that it was founded by her and a couple of her less pale friends, rather than a group of shorthaired NRA members. I'm sure a teenage girl is less threatening to the ACLU than a bunch of gunwaving neo-nazis.

Oh, and no its not racist if he's wearing the shirt to support the club. If he's trying to be funny, it might be. Clubs based on race are very similar to clubs based on hobbies, sports, etc. The members all have something in common they can relate to.

Just sayin'
              I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
              1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Oh, and I think how a word is used is vastly more important than what a word means. Because of the previous uses of the word it has become very insulting to a large group of people, myself included. I've made it very clear to all my friends that I don't tolerate prejudice or racism, so I don't even let my black friends use the N word. As far as I'm concerned the only value that word has is in the context of swearing/cursing and not valuable, intelligent exchange. Not that I'm not guilty of swearing on occasion, but I wouldn't drop the cu#t word in front of a lady.

Just sayin'
                I'm a Daddy!!

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Mikey, there was a time when a gentleman would cuss his head off when in the company of his friends, but clean it up the minute the company became mixed. I wish that were still the case. (Could be if girls stopped dating men with bad manners...and visa versa).

I think the reason that people get nervous about a young white scholars club is that young white males have been the power structure for so long. People feel they don't need help (getting so they do now). Past indecretions have made it difficult for certain groups today. As the race issue starts to mellow, you will see less need for these divisive issues.

One thing that rankles me though is the whole affirmative action issue in colleges. First, let's trash all affirmative action for both the minorities and the rich white boys. Yes, there is an affirmative action program for rich white boys. It's called the legacy system. You should get in on your grades and community service, not what your skin color is, your gender or your daddy's connections. This country is supposed to be a meritocracy but there are those who try to preserve the aristocracy through these legacy systems. It was the legacy system that got a mediocre student into, not just Yale, but Harvard as well. What non-connected student with straight As got bumped for this moron? The moron's name? George W. Bush. (I refuse to discuss him further.) What scientist did we miss out on? What brilliant statesman? Just because some inbred idiot's daddy had money and an endowment.

I say grades and community service should be the only measure that gets you into a college. Well ok, because we like seeing the young sweat - SAT scores too.

(The above opinions come from a loving space )

Comment

I agree with you on the University part, BUT, many of those colleges stay at the top of the education system because of enormous alum donations from those morons daddys. A friend did an unofficial study of reported donations to certain ivy league schools and many of the yearly amounts totalled several million dollars. Its a catch 22.

I think AA for jobs/education is stupid. The best qualified person should get the job/acceptance irregardless of gender, race, etc. I've seen many fire departments lower their entrance standards to increase the female portion of the department. That's just dangerous. Some of the ladies at Seattle FD decided this should change and each year are petitioning the Dept to increase the hiring standards.

Prejudice is wrong, regardless of which direction it is pointed.
                    I'm a Daddy!!

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                    1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

That is not prejudice. Now if I were to make a "Young White Scholars" shirt and wore it to school and the told me to take it off, while a black kid with a "young black scholars" shirt was standing there watching and they didnt ask him to take his shirt off as well. We have a problem. Other then that, I dont see the problem.
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by mikeythefireman
                        I agree with you on the University part, BUT, many of those colleges stay at the top of the education system because of enormous alum donations from those morons daddys. A friend did an unofficial study of reported donations to certain ivy league schools and many of the yearly amounts totalled several million dollars. Its a catch 22.

I think AA for jobs/education is stupid. The best qualified person should get the job/acceptance irregardless of gender, race, etc. I've seen many fire departments lower their entrance standards to increase the female portion of the department. That's just dangerous. Some of the ladies at Seattle FD decided this should change and each year are petitioning the Dept to increase the hiring standards.

Prejudice is wrong, regardless of which direction it is pointed.
                        You are right about the catch 22 in education. I have some gripes about that. I won't get into them here.

I know about your problems in the fire department. It makes me nervous as a possible recipient of your services. If I need to have a big beam yanked off me and I need to be carried out of a burning building fast, is a woman going to be strong enough? Some women out there are stronger than some men. Good, hire 'em. But the majority of the women are weaker in the upper body than men. I saw that in the Army. When I get rescued, I want a really big guy to do it.

Some things just shouldn't be an AA issue.

Comment

AA is like Aspirin. It doesn't solve the disease, it cures the symptom. Overtime the disease surfaces in other ways.
                          I'm a Daddy!!

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                          1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Originally posted by mikeythefireman
                            AA is like Aspirin. It doesn't solve the disease, it cures the symptom. Overtime the disease surfaces in other ways.
                            Darn straight.

Comment

Working...
                            X