Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try Try again...

Well, dang it! Michael (Nagal) and some friends took the wife and I out for a day of wheeling in an area close to our homes. And wouldnt ya know it, the Jeep crapped out on us. Seems that at some point before we even started I blew out the rear main... but wanted to get out so bad that I tried to blame all the oil on the ground on something else. Denial... go figure.

But, at least Michael got to see the "project"... hehehe...that's the nicest way to say "heap" that I've ever heard.

So we meet up in JT, and head out to the lakebed area... (darn name escapes me again). Vibrations from the rough ground (wasn't that bad really) popped my clutch linkage loose. Ugh... JEEPS NOT SUPPOSED TO BREAK BEFORE YOU START! So we fix that... (thanks for the zip-tie Michael.) And head up the first hill... and Ole Blue stalls out going up the first time. So we back down and try it again; & make it up only to realize that I'm just hemorrhaging too much oil to continue. We leave the group and move to the bottom of the hill to use the ViAir that Michael gave me earlier in the morning... Dude! You (& the Mrs.) are so invited to dinner sometime.

We got almost home on the 3qts of oil we'd bought earlier in the morning. But ended up pulling over with zero pressure and no more to pour in. Not like it was a big help, I could watch the oil pour out as we poured it in! But we got a friend from the base garage to come out with two cases of oil and a tow strap. Not the safest towing job I've ever been involved in, but it worked. Now she sits at the garage on base awaiting a seal kit (Monday) and time to work on it... (starts wednesday). Jeeps up on jack-stands more than on it's tires it seems. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Oh yes, Barb had her camera with, but as the day was cut short there are only a few.. which are:

[CENTER]Fixing clutch linkage:

The Land Rover can do it, so I can too!

Our turn.
    [/CENTER]

And that's about it... like I said, it was a very short day for us. I will return... and yes, fuel injection will be looked into. A lot of things will be looked into... :devil:
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Im sorry to hear about this How frustrating!

Hope you get it all figured out soon.

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

, but that's what makes it fun, right!?
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

It's all good.

It's an ongoing project right? It keeps me occupied and out of the bars so I dont think nothin of it. The $$$ is the hard part, but the wife got hired onto the new company here on base so it won't be so hard to recoup the money.

I was only dissappointed we didn't get to wheel with Nagal and friends. It would have been a load of fun!

Comment

Oh what a run this was. I think I will dub it the Saturday of Carnage.

For not doing anything remotely hard, a lot of things broke. First was Nick Jeep (hence to be named the Valdez) leaking oil everywhere. Then the Dodge Ram 2500 with us shreded its serpentine belt while trying to get out of some sand. And finally it seems one of my super-dooper fancy Walker Evans Shocks is toast.
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
            Oh what a run this was. I think I will dub it the Saturday of Carnage.

For not doing anything remotely hard, a lot of things broke. First was Nick Jeep (hence to be named the Valdez) leaking oil everywhere. Then the Dodge Ram 2500 with us shreded its serpentine belt while trying to get out of some sand. And finally it seems one of my super-dooper fancy Walker Evans Shocks is toast.
            Barb says "Ha Ha" about the "Valdez". Appropriate...

Hey, I thought the Ram was there to pull me around! Geez that wouldn't have lasted long. Hee Hee... I can just hear K's daughter about how her Rover was the only thing unharmed!! Shocks still under warranty?

Comment

Yes the shocks are still under warranty, going to take them off tonight and ship them back. Should have them back by Friday.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Cool!

Yes the shocks are still under warranty, going to take them off tonight and ship them back. Should have them back by Friday.
                I'm going to pick up my gasket set at around 3 today. Can't start work until Wednesday though. But maybe I'll have it done by Friday... wondering what else to do while I have it all torn apart down there... maybe figure out why I have a "free floating" tcase shifter. And get that damn clutch linkage to hold on better.

Comment

Okay, update is in order...

Check out what I found when I pulled the tranny and tcase off the Jeep this morning...

[CENTER][SIZED]http://images14.fotki.com/v221/photos/9/9459/1183132/88170060549_3300-vi.jpg[/SIZED]
                  [SIZED]http://images14.fotki.com/v225/photos/9/9459/1183132/88170002437_3300-vi.jpg[/SIZED][/CENTER]

Sorry about them being so blurry. I had to use my camera on my phone because I forgot my real one. So the bearing retainer snapped and has been clunking around in there for any given amount of time. What causes this?

Some of these pictures are just for fun though... for example:

[CENTER]Look at this GRIME!!! (Can't wait to steam clean it tomorrow.)
                  [SIZED]http://images14.fotki.com/v221/photos/9/9459/1183132/88170125573_3300-vi.jpg[/SIZED]

Broken crossmember was hidden by a steel plate "shim". (I'm gonna just fab one up in the shop here.)
                  [SIZED]http://images9.fotki.com/v185/photos/9/9459/1183132/88176964613_3300-vi.jpg[/SIZED]

Under an inch of grime I finally know what kind of tranny I have. :thumbs_up
                  [SIZED]http://images14.fotki.com/v220/photos/9/9459/1183132/88177013509_3300-vi.jpg[/SIZED][/CENTER]

Thats all for now... I've got a long day ahead tomorrow. Have to pull the clutch out and see if there's a rebuild for it locally. I'll just flush out the tranny when I get the new part to put on... but when I looked at the throwout bearing I could see where this bearing retainer had been wearing on it, so I figure why not just replace the whole shabang, since I have it off. I'll take "after pics" when I get the parts cleaned up. I imagine it will be a world of difference.

Comment

you might want to remove your springs, cycle the suspension and make sure your bumpstops are the correct lenght. shocks shouldn't blow up that soon. :2:
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                      you might want to remove your springs, cycle the suspension and make sure your bumpstops are the correct lenght. shocks shouldn't blow up that soon. :2:
                      You are correct in they should have lasted a lot longer. One shock is totally fubared. Somehow the shaft got bent and then forced up into the canister. By the huge scrap on the canister I am thinking it had something to do with the spring perch but for the life of me cant figure out what happened.

I did get a set of Currie rear shock mount extenders. Would have perfered the Nth Degree weld on ones but this will do for the time being.

And yes I will be double checking the bump stops again.

Nick, that sucks about your transmission, I hope nothing is mahorly wrong with it.
                      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Nick, that sucks about your transmission, I hope nothing is mahorly wrong with it.
                        I'm getting quotes now... I just hope when I drain it and filter the fluid that I dont find pieces of other parts inside there rolling around! Have to think about it... ya know... :beer:

Comment

Originally posted by clarksinca
                          I'm getting quotes now... I just hope when I drain it and filter the fluid that I dont find pieces of other parts inside there rolling around! Have to think about it... ya know... :beer:
                          Keep in mind, it might be cheaper to find a T18 in a junkyard
                          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Keep in mind, it might be cheaper to find a T18 in a junkyard
                            Found the bearing retainer for $28.00 from here. Going to probably get the clutch kit from them too as I will be waiting for thier other parts anyway... grrrrr.:angry:

I'll pay for the faster shipping, maybe be ready for the 23rd. I'd like to go out locally before that, hate to drive that far and have ANOTHER piece of it break off.

My new bumber sticker... "Honk if parts fall off."

Comment

Update:

Can't believe this problem is still ongoing!!! BUT! received the correct bearing retainer from www.partsmikeparts.com and put it on today. I got it used with a chip out of it, but shouldn't impede operations. Also got my 1979 Wagoneer front driveshaft!!! Gonna chop it down and try to get those ugly vibrations out of the Valdez.

Anyway, cleaned out the tranny today and fished out a bunch of metal shavings. I didn't actually disassemble the tranny, just ran cleaner through it and then refilled with oil. It should last a while longer, but I'm going to need a new drivetrain withing a year or so. Better start saving my nickels.

Comment

Working...
                              X