Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll bar padding needed?

Thinking about ripping the stuff off for good........

Is it necessary? Recomended?
    Bryan
    2003 black TJ 4.0 manual
    front-OX-35 rear-OX-44 4.88
    Rock-It Man rear bumper + rock rails, currie front bumper

recomended

is now required for racing orgs
    it is a safety feature
    cushions bumps on heads
    censored for having an opinion

Comment

I think he means the stock stuff - that stuff won't do a damn thing for your noggin. Kaffa we might have a couple extra pieces of the racing stuff we used on mine for the sides where get in the Jeep.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

If you are talking about the stock stuff...i'm sure you already know it is crap. I bounced myself into mine once and it felt like I hit my head on a rock...
        The Grim Jeeper

Comment

SFI approved is the way to go. It will hurt if you hit your bare head on it, but not nearly as bad as through the squishy foam stuff or the stock padding.
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Here's a little more info...apparently, pipe insulation, squashy foam and such is fine for protecting your head when you are climbing in and out. However, in the event of a full-on impact it's much too soft: it will squash like it's not there.

The real gear is much more dense, in fact it feels quite hard. I am no expert but the general idea is in the event of a massive impact with your head, the foam deforms slowly. This increases the surface area between pipe and skull. The foam deforms with a rising "spring rate" so that your head is decelerated in a controlled way.

Simpson make the stuff. Its the same material that they use to line crash hats and you can get it from Jegs. This is SFI rated stuff that Rick referred to.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommer...878&prmenbr=361

While your there get the way cool Gasser T shirt
            "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

your link sucks. But beyond hat you are pretty much right.
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
              X