Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless internet?

Does anybody have any Ideas for wireless internet services.
    I start some online classes soon. I need to be able to access my school from differant parts of the country. Sprint was recommemend, but looking online they are not taking any new subscribers. Looked at Earthlink, is there anything else out there. I would like to able to do home work on the trail also, tired of being stuck at home.

For those of you in high school listen to your parents. Go to college after High school, Not 20 years later. Too many brain cells fried.
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Verizon has a service that I have been told is pretty good. Decent speeds. Only problem is, its just like a cell phone, service is dependent upon signal.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

what nagal said, make sure whatever you choose comes with a money-back guarantee, because you probably won't be too thrilled with it. i know this was a few years ago, but i had one of those mobile receiver things, and it was horrible. when i talked to the provider, they said there wasn't enough interest in it to put up more towers.

it seems you'd be better off staying in hotels that offer DSL, or paying less than $10/month for dial-up. :2:
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I just got a free netzero account so when I stay up ina hotel I can get on the internet. Thats what I did this last weekend when I was in the snow
        Supe
        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
        Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

I had wireless internet at the place I stayed in Moab last year! Don't remember the name right now but it was like $40 a night and the guy had a wireless router sitting in his office. I got the best signal sitting in the jeep in the lot which added to the whole surfing experience
          03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
          "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
            I had wireless internet at the place I stayed in Moab last year! Don't remember the name right now but it was like $40 a night and the guy had a wireless router sitting in his office. I got the best signal sitting in the jeep in the lot which added to the whole surfing experience
            that is wicked, let's stay there this year! how did he let you on? was it $40 to just get online or for the whole stay?

anyway, i don't think that's what d4x4 meant. more of a roaming, go-anywhere service.

Comment

The guy I went to SEMA with just goes to a Starbucks when he travels and needs to access the internet. Supposedly they all have wireless access now. I'm not sure of the details, or if that would even serve your purpose, but it is a option.
              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Do a search on wireless hotspots. There are some websites that list hotspots by location. You could always do as I do and drive around some office buildings and residential areas looking for open networks!

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                  Do a search on wireless hotspots. There are some websites that list hotspots by location. You could always do as I do and drive around some office buildings and residential areas looking for open networks!

W@RDRIVER!

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                    W@RDRIVER!

:confused: :confused:
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Wardriving (verb)
                      The act of driving around in a vehicle with a laptop computer, an antenna, and an 802.11 wireless LAN adapter to exploit existing wireless networks. Set on promiscuous mode, the wireless adapter, typically a NIC, will receive packets within its range. Wardriving exploits wireless networks that have ranges that extend outside the perimeter of buildings in order to gain free internet access or illegal access to an organization’s data. One safeguard against wardriving is using the WEP encryption standard.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                        Wardriving (verb)
                        The act of driving around in a vehicle with a laptop computer, an antenna, and an 802.11 wireless LAN adapter to exploit existing wireless networks. Set on promiscuous mode, the wireless adapter, typically a NIC, will receive packets within its range. Wardriving exploits wireless networks that have ranges that extend outside the perimeter of buildings in order to gain free internet access or illegal access to an organization’s data. One safeguard against wardriving is using the WEP encryption standard.

Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Comment

this one is for you, chuck! ha!

Comment

WarDriving Southern California