Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DARPA Grand Challenge - Who's with me?

I was watching some TV and saw a segment about this DARPA Grand Challenge. Basically its a GPS/LIDAR guided unmanned vehicle that has to travel 200 miles across the Mojave desert. Sound fun?

Here is what we need:
    Welder/Fabricator
    A Rocket Scientist
    Some one who knows Electronics
    A Computer Programmer
    A New Jeep Rubicon Unlimited - Maybe even a sponsorship?

Anything I'm missing? Come on, I know there are some of those here on MJR!

Last edited by Dukes69; 11-03-04, 12:47 AM.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Rick has a welder ... and knows electronics ... can fabricate some stuff ... can program computers ... all he needs is a Jeep to make the project complete! C'mon Rick, let's get to work!
    hahah
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

now we need 10 milllliiiooonnn dollllaarrrrss, and this project would be toight like a toiga
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I'm in. I can measure stuff.
        I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
        1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

i'm not a rocket scientist... but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

count me in :yawn:

Comment

Originally posted by cbremer
            i'm not a rocket scientist... but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

count me in :yawn:
            lame!
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Well, if you come up with all this stuff and get it working.... I can make sure nobody ever steals the idea(s) from ya!

best,

fg

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

not only can i measure i can count to 200....count me in
                B R E T T
                87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

I've got some beer for the effort!
                  [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
                  [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

if i was out that way i would defenatly help out with buying the bear
                    im lovin it

2004 wrangler se
                    4 inch rough country lift
                    35x12.5LT16's
                    super budget 3 inch body lift

Comment

Originally posted by drivenhardse
                      hmmmmm, that sounds interesting. I think I'll take you up on that.
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by drivenhardse
                        That is very interesting....hmmmm...bear....rocket scientist...jeep....computer gadgets...beer....yeah I think the bear will fit in nicely Just keep him away from the beer, every try to take a bear's beer away? It's probably not pretty
                        04 Rubicon
                        4.5" RE Super Flex
                        1" BL
                        CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
                        Currie Anti-rock swaybar
                        35" el cheapos
                        Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

Chris, are you serious about it?

I wheel with a guy who has worked on several robots involved in this. He is one of them super smart computer/robotics guys (Phd).

You better find a sponser....or 10! You are not talking about slapping together a few parts and pointing this thing across the desert. If you are really interested, I will get you in touch with Jack.

Oh, Erik--the prize is $2mil I believe.
                          Last edited by goodtimes; 11-04-04, 11:52 PM.
                          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
                            Chris, are you serious about it?

I wheel with a guy who has worked on several robots involved in this. He is one of them super smart computer/robotics guys (Phd).

You better find a sponser....or 10! You are not talking about slapping together a few parts and pointing this thing across the desert. If you are really interested, I will get you in touch with Jack.

Oh, Erik--the prize is $2mil I believe.
                            Sure why not. I dont have any money, But I do have a plasma and a welder!! Anyone know someone that works at Jeep Corporate? :confused:
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I just read the all the rules, regulations, requirements. I can tell you you are going to need a LOT more than "an electronics guy and a programmer"

I think at the very least you are going to need the following:

1. Someone with practical knowledge of microwave and/or infrared radar
                              2. Someone with good signal processing background ... especially in classification and estimation
                              3. Someone with a strong control theory background
                              4. Maybe someone with a computer vision background (optional)
                              5. An guy good with AI algorithms
                              6. Robotics expertise will definitely be very helpful as brian suggested

Now on top of these you need a REALLY good electronics, servo, actuation person ... now here this doesn't necessarily mean a Ph.D. ... a weekend hobyist or an RC car enthsiast etc may just be the perfect choice.

Then welder, fabricator, all around mechanic, and someone familiar with the vehicle chosen as a platform will definitely be needed.

This is definitely a serious undertaking and it's not going to be easy having a vehicle travel 200 miles in the desert, recognizing, negotiating, and avoiding obstacles on its own!
                              03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                              "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Working...
                              X