Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet stolen pictures, batman!

lol! i was lookint through the latest issue of jp magazine, and low and behold there is my jeep!
    it is being used as an advertisment!
    it seems that a parts manufacturer liked my rig so much that they took it upon themselves to take a pic from the net, and use it as their own!
    is there free stuff in this for me? take a look at page 115 in the october jp
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Is it in that ad that shows the rigs across the top of the page? (I don't have the rag handy). My friend Greg (Safari Gard) had that happen to him too. They took the picture when his Rover was on display at SEMA. I'm surprised they stole the pic from your site though. That's not exactly legal.

Comment

it is the one you speak of.
      i never gave anyone rights to any pics, nor am i tooo upset about it. it is actually kind of cool, but... i think i might be entitled to some free junk as rent for the pic
      ERIK

Comment

Being on the net makes them fair game.
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

unless they are copyrighted. ie, they need your permission. So, Erik, QUICK! Put a disclaimer on your site that says they are all your pics and you can use them or you'll sue! you know what I mean!
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
            Being on the net makes them fair game.
            Actually, you are wrong. Stealing on the net is the same as stealing from anywhere else. Just because it's easier doesn't make it right! The law says that you can draw a line on a piece of paper tonight, and if someone uses that line without your permission, whether it's copyrighted with the US government or not, it's illegal.

Originally posted by Copyright.gov

WHO CAN CLAIM COPYRIGHT
            Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright.

From http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wci
            Originally posted by Copyright.gov

When is my work protected?
            Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

From http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/fa...al.html#mywork
            The fact that they used nailer's pic and he doesn't even have any Rusty's parts is another issue in itself. At least they didn't crop out the MJR sticker!! LOL
            Last edited by sarah; 09-04-04, 07:50 PM. Reason: added copyright facts
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Well, Tam had this idea ... and she was right. Now this complicates things!

Comment

indeed it does...
                well, maybe they will still want me to sport some rusty gear
                ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                  Actually, you are wrong. Stealing on the net is the same as stealing from anywhere else. Just because it's easier doesn't make it right! The law says that you can draw a line on a piece of paper tonight, and if someone uses that line without your permission, whether it's copyrighted with the US government or not, it's illegal.

The fact that they used nailer's pic and he doesn't even have any Rusty's parts is another issue in itself. At least they didn't crop out the MJR sticker!! LOL
                  But I don't think that would cover pics posted in public forum.
                  1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                    But I don't think that would cover pics posted in public forum.
                    Public forum, ok. Personal gallery, I think that's where someone should ask for permission.

Comment

whats on the covver of the JP mag ure talking about? im not sure if i got it and if i did i cant find it...
                      B R E T T
                      87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

I'd have to say posted in a public forum does not make it fair game either. It is still the private property of Erik used without his permission. But I agree with Erik, its just cool they used his rig.
                        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I say you call them on it Erik. Be nice, and just say that in the future you would appreciate them contacting you first. Then try to talk them out of free junk!

Of course, be careful. I have a friend who was contacted by Hypertech about using a couple of pics from his site for advertizing....he gave the OK, and a few months later, he saw the ad. It was the one pic where he was stuck in a mud hole, and the ad went something like "he wouldn't be stuck if he had a Hypertech power chip".

Now that I think about it, I was contacted by BDS a couple years ago about using one of my pics for the cover of their 2002/2003 parts catalog. It was a pic of my S-10 on top of that big rock that used to be in the middle of Odessa Canyon, right at the bottom....they wanted me to sign a property release, etc., so their butt would be covered, but then they found out that I didn't even have their kit installed until after the pic was taken.
                          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Just being nosey here, but everytime I see a Rusty's ad in a magazine I think of this. Did you ever hear back from him? Is your Jeep now sporting a bunch of rusty parts?
                            [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]2001 TJ with stuff..[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi
                              Just being nosey here, but everytime I see a Rusty's ad in a magazine I think of this. Did you ever hear back from him? Is your Jeep now sporting a bunch of rusty parts?
                              HA
                              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                              X