Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some Stereo Recomendations

So I ripped all my old stereo stuff out and I'll be posting it on e-bay. So now I'm looking for a Headunit and maybe some speakers for the sound bar. I've always liked Sony, so maybe I'll get one of their CD headunits and some 3-way 6.5 speakers. What do you guys think? :confused:

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

I had a sony in my jeep, and the CD player kept getting CD's stuck in it after only 4 months of having it. When I was in high school I had a JVC that I kept for 8 years, it was in 6 different cars, and never had a problem. Although I do like sony's speakers. Got some in my sound bar and they haven't been blown yet.
    [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

I'm not much of a stereo expert, but when i got my headunit i made sure it had a few key features that i wanted.

1) low skip rate
      2) detachable face with the cd slot BEHIND the face
      3) MP3
      4) SIRUS option

I haven't ungraded my soundbar speakers yet, but i need to SOON!
      [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
      AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
      15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
      33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
      FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
      Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
      RE Hand Throttle
      Optima Red Top
      K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

You can't go wrong with Pioneer. I'd say stay away from ALL the sonys.
        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

i just got the alpine with the built in XM radio, mp3, cd, and all that jive. I likle the capabilities, but dont yet have an opinion on the xm radio. i have used alpine stuff before, and gotten years out of it.... but not in the jeeping conditions, and environment.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I got a cheap Awia CD player with Polk Speakers and a 8" JBL sub in my old radio shack powered sub tube. Sounds good and the cost was right.

Only reason I went with the Awia is it had an aux input so I can use my iPod. The CD player is already trashed in it so I would not recommend it. Polk speakers sound great but do distort when I really crank things up (could be the crappy Awia).
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I have an Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM unit... it rocks! I replaced all my speakers with some cheapie pioneers. They still sound great compared to the factory speakers.
              Erik

I fix things.

Comment

I recommend that you get a stereo.
                I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

hey Duke69/ I am actually getting rid of a Pioneer Head Unit. Its pretty Tricked out. its the 8400 with xm capabilities, the face come down at an angle. I barely used it. If you are interested let me know...
                  Supe
                  97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
                  Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

here's another vote against sony

my alpine that i currently have has been in the past 3cars i've owned... it must be 5 or 6 years old and can still handle a pretty good amount of jostling and not skip (and when it does skip, it recovers quickly)

since you have an open top, you may want to consider one of those marine-grade head units, so you don't have to worry when you hose out your interior ...or worry about rain, etc.

if i was to buy a new HU today, i'd definitely get an alpine with detachable face, be able to play MP3s that have been burned to a CD-R/RW, and probably satellite radio compatible.

Comment

CDA-9820XM
                      Last edited by NAILER341; 07-29-04, 12:13 PM.
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I I would have to go Against Sony too. Just a lot of Bad luck with there Head Units in the past......

<My Opinion
                        Supe
                        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

TJSUPE, thanks for the offer. I had my stereo stolen once, so its not worth it to me to get something fancy. Yeah, yeah I know "Take the face plate off" Well I have a bad memory! One of my requirements is that it has a fold down face like PondScum said. That has seemed to keep the dirt out better. I had a Clarion in my XJ, it has an open face, and it didnt like dust very much. Heres the other thing, I cant justify spending $300+ on a HU, unless it makes my Jeep better on the rocks. I'm just getting a stereo so I dont go crazy when driving my Jeep everyday. So I'd like to get the HU and Speakers under $200, thats my goal.

Thanks Guys!
                          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I here ya. Thats why I am not putting this HU in my jeep. Just thought I would offer anyways.

I am going to do the exact same thing. Find something that works and is cheap in value at the same time. We will probably have to replace them every two years cause of the dirt anways!!!
                            Supe

Comment

Another vote against Sony, but its not what you may think. Sony makes some decent stuff, however because they license some of the cd patents and own others, they only play cd's not mp3's, and many home-burned cd's are hit&miss on Sony players. If you make your own cd's &/or like mp3s stay away from Sony.
                              It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
                              and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Working...
                              X