Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing my Wrangler

I'm moving in less than two weeks and I am going to have tow my Wrangler behind the uHaul truck. Is there anything special that needs to be done for towing or can I just hook it up, drop it in neutral and go?
    Erik

I fix things.

Assuming that you are flat towing it (no trailer or car dolly), put the transfer case in neutral, automatic transmission in park/manual tranny in gear, make sure the parking brake is off, ignition key in the off/unlocked position, and you are off.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Which nuetral? I've heard its easier on driveline components if you put the tcase in nuetral instead of the tranny. Other than that I don't think so.
      04 Rubicon
      4.5" RE Super Flex
      1" BL
      CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
      Currie Anti-rock swaybar
      35" el cheapos
      Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

Guess goodtimes already answered. His post didn't show up until I posted mine?!?! My computers been doin weird things today.
        04 Rubicon
        4.5" RE Super Flex
        1" BL
        CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
        Currie Anti-rock swaybar
        35" el cheapos
        Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

Will be pulling it with a tow dolly... Does that make any difference?

And thanks for the replies.
          Erik

I fix things.

Comment

Putting the t-case in neutral disconects both front & rear driveshafts so with a tow dolly it's the same. Or you could just put the rear wheels on the dolly and tow as is ( in 2HI).
            “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
            -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

when i towed my cherokee on a dolly i threw the tcase in neutral, made sure the steering wheel was locked and put the transmission in 1st gear(manual). worked out fine.
              B R E T T
              87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

If your using a dolly, you still put the t-case in neutral, tranny in gear of park as applicable, but you won't need to leave your ignition in the off/unlocked position, you can go ahead and lock the column.

KG6OWO

Comment

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I'll make it one piece.. lol.
                  Erik

I fix things.

Comment

I've also heard some people suggest dropping driveshafts (if you have a SYE). This recommendation seems to come most often from individuals who have grenaded their transfer cases because the t-case wasn't fully in neutral and slipped into a gear.

The standard stuff about having working brake/turn lights of course applies. Not sure if these are already on the tow dolly. Also consider putting up a gravel guard to prevent objects from being thrown up into the towed vehicle, a sheet of masonite or pegboard cut to fit and affixed to the front of the dolly or the jeep itself should do the trick.
                    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Good point about making sure the xfer case is in neutral....to check it you can simply start the jeep after shifting the 'case to neutral, then put the tranny in gear, obviously, the jeep won't move if it is indeed in neutral.

KG6OWO

Comment

i tis also recommended to start the jeep in 3rd gear with the xfer case in neutral every 300 miles or less to get the fluids moving and lube up the case.
                        so... whenever you stop for gas, start it for a moment while you are pumping
                        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

i do know if your on a dolly take the drive shaft out of the end thats on the groud if it a auto if you have a stick just put every thing in neutral. i hope you make it good luck.
                          I am the Tarzan!

Comment

ok i towed mine on a dolly not to long ago and i posted pretty much the same thing heres the post.......hope this helps yaLINKEY
                            B R E T T
                            87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

The NP231 in TJs has an internal oil pump that is driven off the rear output shaft, so you don't need to spin up the case by starting in 3rd with a TJ. The reason to put the transmission in gear is to prevent parasitic turning of the transmission output shaft. The tranny does NOT have an oil pump on the output shaft, and you will burn up the shaft bearings and seals if you leave it in neutral while flat-towing.
                              '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Working...
                              X