Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM radio?

how do you like yours?
    i am thinking about getting this, and wanted to hear some feedback on it first. i have a stock jeep radio, and will probably keep it that way [maybe] so no one wants to steal the damn thing.
    i am wondering:
    what is a good brand [inexpensive/dependable]
    will the xm thing hook to my stock radio?
    can i later hook it to an aftermarket radio?
    do you get reception in the boonies?

see, i'd get a cd playing stereo that sounds nice, but i'm afraid the dust from the trail, and the bumps would kill it.
    any feedback in this area?
    i do currently have the stock sound bar, and will likely put some better speakers in there, but i dont expect to have any amped up booming system... i'd just like to have some decent sounds in the boonies, and have it be dependable
    thanks for any input!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

I love mine. At first it came with an adapter that hooked up to the anntenae, so with the modulator you can use it on any radio. I didn't like the sound though so I bought a cheap stereo with rca inputs and the thing sounds like CD sound. Reception rocks. Unless your in a garage, or something covered. I haven't had anywhere where my signal was gone, even does good in the forest. Being here in Ridgecrest where the stations are a joke I couldn't live without it.
    So far I have had it on three trails and nothing has killed it. Even the tree stump I ramped doing 20, we won't talk about that though. :embarasse
    [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

Don't bother with a CD player Erik. I have killed several in my jeep. the thieves are always mad because they end up stealing a CD player that doesn't work!

No experience with XM or Siurus....been considering it though.
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by H8PVMT
        I love mine. At first it came with an adapter that hooked up to the anntenae, so with the modulator you can use it on any radio. I didn't like the sound though so I bought a cheap stereo with rca inputs and the thing sounds like CD sound. Reception rocks. Unless your in a garage, or something covered. I haven't had anywhere where my signal was gone, even does good in the forest. Being here in Ridgecrest where the stations are a joke I couldn't live without it.
        So far I have had it on three trails and nothing has killed it. Even the tree stump I ramped doing 20, we won't talk about that though. :embarasse
        so what as bad about the sound with the modulator? noise, or just inferior sound quality in general?

thanks for your input on the cd palyer, goodtimes
        ERIK

Comment

I would just say inferior sound quality. Satelite delivers cd quality sound, and with my modulator it just didn't seem as loud as it is now. I think maybe the modulator turned it into mono instead of stereo. After I got the deck with the rca inputs though it sounded crystal clear. And it might be because I went with the low end on the XM reciever as well. The modulator could have just been junk. I was on a budget when I bought it.... wait I am always on a budget. I would just reccomend a deck with the rca inputs, or a direct conncetion for the xm reciever.

Oh yeah, and as for my CD player.... I haven't used mine since I got XM radio. I find myself channel surfing in the jeep there's so many channels. Good stuff.
          [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

I bought mine a few weeks ago at BestBuy $259 standard price ($40-4 year warranty, $41-harnass) BB was offering free installation. I got it installed Thurs night and activated Fri and still playing around with it, I haven't programmed fav channels yet. The antenna is on the passenger side of the dash, and the XM is next to my ignition (I was originally going to put it under the ash tray or cig lighter) I've gotten some static when turning it on in my (818) area, the sound is as good as a CD (I have the stock radio/CD player with subwolfer that came with the Canyon Package)
            *Pebbles* 02 Sport Canyon Package
            Rockers by JCFabAndDesign.com/XM Commander
            Jeep Owner since '96 87YJ

Comment

CMeTopless818, which unit/package xm radio did you get?
              happy birthday, by the way
              ERIK

Comment

Well my cd/mp3 player is xm radio capable, but i don't have it installed. I just don't drive my jeep enough to justify the purchase of xm radio.

As far as upgrading to a aftermarket player goes....I got a detachable face one at Fry's with the same kind of deal mentioned. It cost me about $250 out the door with free installation. I had it installed where the stock radio goes. I simply lock the face up in my tuffy center console.

Dust.....i went the cheap route. I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest/thinest/see-through shower curtain i could find ($3), and a roll of velcro (kind that has the glue on both sides already) ($4). I measured out the cd face of my unit and cut the shower curtain out to size with enough excess for the velcro to run all the way around the corners. I then put the velcro on it, and the other side of velcro all the way around the slot where the cd player is.

It's see through, comes off in a second and even my stupid remote works with it on and dust doesn't get in. I have enough leftover material to make a new one.....hmmm.....around 50 more times i'd guess so i'm not worried if i lose it or it wears out i'll simply make a new one.

I've had zero issues with my cd/mp3 player this way and i'm always on dusty trails. Once in a blue moon i'll shoot some Dust Off on the unit and face, but it rarely needed it.

If you end up getting one i'd recommend a unit that has the detachable face that completely covers up the cd insertion slot. With my unit i have to flip down the detachable face to insert a cd that offers a bit more protection from dust then a standard one where the cd insertion slot if always in the elements.
                [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
                AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
                15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
                33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
                Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
                RE Hand Throttle
                Optima Red Top
                K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                  CMeTopless818, which unit/package xm radio did you get?
                  happy birthday, by the way
                  XM Commander. I wanted to get the kind that I could take out and share but was told I couldn't do that without a tape player, not sure why.

Whose B-Day?
                  *Pebbles* 02 Sport Canyon Package
                  Rockers by JCFabAndDesign.com/XM Commander
                  Jeep Owner since '96 87YJ

Comment

I have an Alpine Mp3/CD head unit with an Alpine XM receiver. I've had it for close to a year and have listened to about 3 CDs since I got mine. I would not trade it for anything!

Mounting the anteanna was a bit of a trick on my TJ as I would lose reception in areas with thick tree coverage or in metro areas with tall buildings. I eventually found a "sweet spot" for the antenna and haven't had any problems since. I mounted it on the hood hinge on the drivers side. I then ran the wires thru firewall next to the hard top wiring harness. Since I mounted the receiver under the drivers seat, I just follow the wall under the lip of the door and pop the wires out next to the roll cage pole and under the seat. It's well hidden and sounds great!

Hope that helps.
                    Erik

I fix things.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...708941352&rd=1

i wonder about this as an alternative. looks like it would be nice, and has the xm built right into the unit. seems more cost efective than buying 2 things as well..
                      hmm?
                      i'll have to look into this head unit.
                      ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...708941352&rd=1

i wonder about this as an alternative. looks like it would be nice, and has the xm built right into the unit. seems more cost efective than buying 2 things as well..
                        hmm?
                        i'll have to look into this head unit.

That's cool, that's the first time I have seen a deck where it actually has the XM reciever already built in, that would eliminate the hassle of trying to find a spot for the reciever and running all the extra wires. If they had that when I got XM that is the route I would have went.
                        [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

Even at the buy it now price of $299 crutchfield is selling the same one for $349. Good deal!
                          [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

well, i put the minimum bid out there... lets see if it is meant to be

thanks for all of your input!
                            ERIK

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:EOAB:US:6
                              well... it is done
                              i hope this works out to be a nice unit.
                              ERIK

Comment

Working...
                              X