Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you tow his and hers Jeeps?

Its an awesome thing here...that we both enjoy the same passion. But it presents a bit of a problem. We always want to drive, which means, we always bring both Jeeps. Not so bad when its local, but the drive to Moab was brutal

Im considering purchasing a nice motorhome, and have found one that has a 10,000lb tow capacity...any comments or ideas regarding this?

The ad says:

"Odometer has only 7400 miles. Rig has two slide-outs, Ford Triton V-10, heavy duty hitch (10,000lbs+), solar panel so batteries are always charged. Real wood cabinetry, two TV/VCR/DVD combos, largest bathroom you'll ever see in an RV with large corner shower and lots of cabinets. Gentle earth tones throughout, warm fabric ceilings, forced air heat/air conditioning, couch is actual fullsize hide-a-bed. Rear gurad wheels, tire air extensions, large generator, outdoor shower, outdoor entertainment center. Twenty four foot awning. Breaking our hearts to sell. "

Its a 30' 2001 GulfStream

Wed like to tow both on a trailer

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Be careful. Just because the hitch can handle 10K pounds doesn't mean the RV can. Most large Class C RVs are very close to the GCVW (Gross combined Vehicle Weight) and can only handle up to 3500 - 5000 pounds towed weight max. There will be a sticker somewhere inside the RV that will tell you how much the chassis can handle. It is *very* dangerous to exceed the GCVW. That is the weight of the RV, everything in it, all your supplies, water, trailer, jeep(s), etc. You're better off getting a diesel dually and towing a fifth wheel toy hauler with a hitch on the rear for the second Jeep. (that's a little more expensive, though).

EDIT: The way me and my wife did it when she had a Jeep was I would tow mine and she would drive hers out.

Oh, and your total weight for the towed Jeeps on the trailer would be very very close to 10K pounds, if not more, including the long trailer (which would weight close to 2000 pounds by itself). Add two 4000+ lb. Jeeps and you see how heavy it gets.
    Last edited by peteyg; 07-07-04, 10:09 PM.
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

That V10 is a pig! We have a triton V10 or V8 in our RV. Its a 34' but it has tandum wheels. We can pull one jeep easy but I dont know about two. With a full load of water and stuff for a 2 week vacation and towing a jeep it will barely pull hills at 55 and thats with the pedal to the floor. You should really look into a diesel if you plan to haul ass. If not the RV in the picture will tow one jeep fine.

Comment

it's pretty, i want one too
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

The Missus and I rather enjoyed the ride in his and her Jeeps but it was tiring not being able to share the driving.

I'd consider a Self-Propelled Toy Hauler. Conventional toyhaulers are nice in that they let you carry your accomodations and rocktoy in a convenient package sheltered from the elements, but you can only bring one. A TJ definitely can't tow a toyhauler, so you'd still need to split the driving and get a tow rig in the process. The self-propelled ToyHauler might be able to flat-tow a wrangler depending on which chassis/motor you get.

Sully has a very important point about the max carrying capacity and I doubt that a gasoline engine and chassis will be able to handle towing two jeeps in a trailer.

The Caterpillar diesel in the link above may be a better choice. I think the interior should be wide enough to take a Wrangler in the interior compartment.

Alternatively, buy a box truck and convert it into a toy mover. This one on eBay has no reserve and is selling for <$2000 right now.
          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
          2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

dual tailer. first jeep backed on and the second driven straighton. This puts the majority of the weight over the wheels. Or better yet, Sell his...........
            1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
              dual tailer. first jeep backed on and the second driven straighton. This puts the majority of the weight over the wheels. Or better yet, Sell his...........
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

sounds cool... looks nice, but be realistic. do you have THAT much disposable income? it cant be that cheap, and you would have to use it a LOT to make it worthwhile.
                i dont know.... it just doesnt seem like a good investment to me.
                :rain:
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Not gonna work, Tam. :-( Most Class C's are rated for either 3500lbs or 5000lbs. In large part it has to do with the frame and the long rear overhang (not to mention the GCWR). I flat tow my rig with a 29' Tioga, but it's only rated to 3500lbs.

What you'll probably need to make this work is one of those RV's based on a Kenworth or Freightliner. Pretty cool, but way expensive.

Edit: here's a link to a Class A built on a Freightliner chassis. it has a 10,000lbs towing capacity. . . http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/info/2003/revf.pdf
                  Last edited by jeepdawg; 07-08-04, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Yeah, get one of those big ones and you can put my Jeep on the trailer, too. That'd be a Road Trip to tell the kids about.

I ran into this problem with my trip home, I can't find a Uhaul truck big enough to tow the Jeep and the wifey's Focus.
                    I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                    1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Thanks for all the input everyone!

One of the reasons Im considering a class c (aside from cost!) is that the local rv rental place has a need for one, and he anticipates that it could almost entirely cover any payment that Im making. He has proof of that I had stumbled upon this one on the net, and the tow capacity hit me like a brick!

I did read on the net that the Triton V10 CAN indeed haul up to 11,000 lbs in some applications. The biggest concern here is that IF the motorhome is capable of doing it (which right now, is highly unlikely) is will it void any warranty remaining on the rig, or ruin the transmission?

Yeah, get one of those big ones and you can put my Jeep on the trailer, too. That'd be a Road Trip to tell the kids about.
                      YOU KILL ME MIKEY!

...Or better yet, Sell his...............
                      I cant even believe you said that Al! How incredibly insensitive! (oh...and thanks for not suggesting I sell mine instead)

Tam

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                        Thanks for all the input everyone!

One of the reasons Im considering a class c (aside from cost!) is that the local rv rental place has a need for one, and he anticipates that it could almost entirely cover any payment that Im making. He has proof of that I had stumbled upon this one on the net, and the tow capacity hit me like a brick!

I did read on the net that the Triton V10 CAN indeed haul up to 11,000 lbs in some applications. The biggest concern here is that IF the motorhome is capable of doing it (which right now, is highly unlikely) is will it void any warranty remaining on the rig, or ruin the transmission?

YOU KILL ME MIKEY!

I cant even believe you said that Al! How incredibly insensitive! (oh...and thanks for not suggesting I sell mine instead)

Tam
                        It's not about ruining the warranty. It is *dangerous* to exceed the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight of the RV. That is the main cause of all those RVs you see wrecked along our interstates. You'll get structural failure of the chassis at some point, resulting in an unpredicatable, spectacular, and messy failure.

Not trying to dissuade you or anything, just want to make sure you understand the real reason for the limited towing capacity.
                        '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I would of course make sure that the motorhome was capable of doing it...I realize that its HIGHLY unlikely.

but a girl can dream cant she?

Tam

Comment

As peteyg said, GCVW rules the game here - very few rigs can actually tow the GCVW they are rated for comfortably, which puts the V-10 RV in the ~2,500 lb trailer weight towing class if you ask me. V-10s are not only tremendous gas hogs, but lack low end torque which is exactly what you need to tow heavy loads. The only way you are going to tow two Jeeps is with a diesel, and a big one at that. If you are stuck on an RV, I would venture that you are looking at a diesel pusher to get to the ~10,000 lb trailer weight you would need. In other words, to pull 10,000 lbs worth of jeep, you need a GCVW rating of 10,000 lb + weight of tow rig = damn big rig. It's not highly unlikely - it's just not possible with a V-10. Even a V-10 short bed p/u truck should not be towing 10,000 lb, let alone an RV.
                            1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                            My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by mikeythefireman
                              I ran into this problem with my trip home, I can't find a Uhaul truck big enough to tow the Jeep and the wifey's Focus.
                              You throw the jeep in the back and tow the jocus.

Comment

Working...
                              X