• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Internet Explorer ALERT*

Original source:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...c_cmp/22103407

Thu Jul 1, 7:00 PM ET
    Loring Wirbel, EE Times

The Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team touched off a storm this week when it recommended for security reasons using browsers other than Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer.

The Microsoft browser, the government warned, cannot protect against vulnerabilities in its Internet Information Services (IIS) 5 server programs, which a team of hackers allegedly based in Russia has exploited with a Java script that is appended to Web sites.

The particular virus initiated this week inserts Java script into certain Web sites. When users visit those sites, it initiates pop-up ads on home and office computers, and allows keystroke analysis of user information. The target is believed to be credit card numbers. CERT estimated that as many as tens of thousands of Web sites may be affected.

CERT said vulnerabilities in IIS and IE could include MIME-type determination, the DHTML object model, the IE domain/zone security model and ActiveX scripts. Alternative browsers such as Mozilla or Netscape may not protect users, the agency warned, if those browsers invoke ActiveX control or HTML rendering engines.

The only defense may be completely disabling scripting and ActiveX controls.

Microsoft said earlier in the week it is working with law enforcement officials to identify the source of the latest Internet virus.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Microsoft works for the taliban!
    [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

What are your alternatives?

Macintosh - Camino
      A great ripoff of Safari, with alot more features.

Safari is supposedly OK if you have the security update. (Go to your software update in system preferences if you're not sure.)

PCs - Mozilla or Firefox
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Or dont buy anything online with a credit card.
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

i switched to mozilla, and the pop ups went away.. i wonder if i have this "keystroke" virus on my computer?
          norton doesnt see it, nor does spynbot, if it is there.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
          X