Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow rigs

Anyone have tow rigs in this forum? I been looking @ buying a F250 crew cab and selling my XJ in parts OR all together if I can get what I want for it.
    2001 TACOJ-7 with RE 6" long arm kit and 4" all pro lonp travel leaf springs in the rear with 37" MTR's, Kilby's gas tank skid plate, 4XDoctors rocker panels, Skid Row engine skid and steering box skid plate, M.O.R.E steering brace etc.. 99 Toyota Tacoma rear axle with 4.10's and E-locker, and 78 HP Dana 44 front with waggy axle shafts, flat tops, manual hubs, with chevy brakes.

1990 XJ With 30's

I have a new Dodge quad cab. It's the high output Cummins and it does Tow with a capital there. <g> The second choice would be the Ford to me, but there are really noisy and being that it is a daily driver as well; I went Dodge for mine. I'm very pleased with it and already put 10k miles on it in 4 months with half of it towing 24' foot trailer and TJ on it.
    [COLOR="Red"]www.raingler.com[/COLOR] Strap down Yer Junk !!! Best Damn Nets, Straps and Grips you can get yer hands on!

Comment

Being on the East Coast, Most of the runs are a ways away. Most of the guys that I've met so far, have a tow rig of some sort. Either a Pickup or a RV. So I guess the choice is really yours, put it on a trailer and enjoy a little comfort, or endure the Jeep all the way to the trail, on the trail, and back again. Someday, I'll have a tow rig, my little old CJ is too much to drive on long road trips.

Comment

I already know I want a gas truck with an auto. I may look in to the 04 dodges, but not 03 because they just changed the body and all that. The fords PSD are quiter to the Cummins and faster then the old Cummins, but the Cummins you can work on it your self. We will see what I get. If the CA go up 3X the price I am not going to buy a truck for a few years.
        2001 TACOJ-7 with RE 6" long arm kit and 4" all pro lonp travel leaf springs in the rear with 37" MTR's, Kilby's gas tank skid plate, 4XDoctors rocker panels, Skid Row engine skid and steering box skid plate, M.O.R.E steering brace etc.. 99 Toyota Tacoma rear axle with 4.10's and E-locker, and 78 HP Dana 44 front with waggy axle shafts, flat tops, manual hubs, with chevy brakes.

1990 XJ With 30's

Comment

Gas? I shudder to this of what gas would cost me with all the towing I do, I get on average 18 mpg w/o trailer, and 11 with. I also have never seen this PSD that you refer to that is quiter than the Ho Cummins, all the ones I looked at were loud and pump out the black stuff when the hammer went down. I like the Chevy; quiet and comfortable, but too much green for too little muscle.
          [COLOR="Red"]www.raingler.com[/COLOR] Strap down Yer Junk !!! Best Damn Nets, Straps and Grips you can get yer hands on!

Comment

Originally posted by 007
            Gas? I shudder to this of what gas would cost me with all the towing I do, I get on average 18 mpg w/o trailer, and 11 with. I also have never seen this PSD that you refer to that is quiter than the Ho Cummins, all the ones I looked at were loud and pump out the black stuff when the hammer went down. I like the Chevy; quiet and comfortable, but too much green for too little muscle.
            My dads friend has a F250 2000 and his step son has a dodge 2001. The ford you could not even hear when they were next to one other. I only drive 9,000 a year and probably only tow 5,000 miles or less. So thats max 14,000 a year.

1990 XJ With 30's

Comment

I used to work in a lube shop, and the Ford and the Dodge, volume wise, were very similar. They each had unique exhaust notes due to one being a 6 cyl, and the other an 8 cyl. I do know this, I quizzed all the different drivers, and especially the ones who switched brands. If you want grunt, get a Dodge. If you want Fuel economy on the highway towing, get a Ford, more horseys same torque = better highway mileage! Just what I was told, don't own one, yet. Personally, I would buy a Ford, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
                I used to work in a lube shop, and the Ford and the Dodge, volume wise, were very similar. They each had unique exhaust notes due to one being a 6 cyl, and the other an 8 cyl. I do know this, I quizzed all the different drivers, and especially the ones who switched brands. If you want grunt, get a Dodge. If you want Fuel economy on the highway towing, get a Ford, more horseys same torque = better highway mileage! Just what I was told, don't own one, yet. Personally, I would buy a Ford, but that's just me.
                We have Cummins in our boat. 5.9L 250hp's. The engine is loud and not very nice on the ears. I know they upped the Cummins this year in the dodge that’s why I will not buy an 03. Fords have always had good luck with there diesels. Am holding out for the CA DMV to see how much the TJ goes up. We will see. I may get a 04 I don't know. One good thing is you can work on the Cummins 95% yourself without knowing that much. They’re also very cool guys. The manual is big that they give you too. I don't know if they give you the shop manual with the trucks. But they do with the boats.
                Last edited by TACOJ-7; 07-05-03, 11:13 PM.

1990 XJ With 30's

Comment

DODGE

And if you have to get a gas motor, get a HEMI!!! We have one, very fast, very cool. Havent towed with it yet, but plan to tow my 69 Charger to a couple drag races in the rear future
                  [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                  SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                    DODGE

And if you have to get a gas motor, get a HEMI!!! We have one, very fast, very cool. Havent towed with it yet, but plan to tow my 69 Charger to a couple drag races in the rear future
                    NO matter what I would not buy a 03 dodge if I got one.

1990 XJ With 30's

Comment

Originally posted by TACOJ-7
                      NO matter what I would not buy a 03 dodge if I got one.
                      thats too bad
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

My Father-in-law, has a Hemi. Way cool sounding truck. Fast too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                          thats too bad
                          I agree, this has been the best truck in all aspects I have ever owned. I know that it's not offered in CA; but you are missing out if you don't at least drive an HO, it is considerably quieter than my bud's here with an 01' 3500. The new auto also rocks here on the passes. The suspension is smooth and tracks unbelievable, and look at the axles;.... hmnnn I see lots of potential Jeep building parts here.
                          I am curious about the HP/mpg mention (what is it, 20 more HP; 5 less ft. lbs torque?) how much better mpg the PSD gets towing?
                          Last edited by 007; 07-06-03, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 007
                            I agree, this has been the best truck in all aspects I have ever owned. I know that it's not offered in CA; but you are missing out if you don't at least drive an HO, it is considerably quieter than my bud's here with an 01' 3500. The new auto also rocks here on the passes. The suspension is smooth and tracks unbelievable, and look at the axles;.... hmnnn I see lots of potential Jeep building parts here.
                            I am curious about the HP/mpg mention (what is it, 20 more HP; 5 less ft. lbs torque?) how much better mpg the PSD gets towing?
                            my dads friend gets about 22mpg.

1990 XJ With 30's

Comment

22 mpg towing? What in the world does he tow, a fuel tanker?

Comment

Working...
                              X