Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft

This isn't really a JOKE, but since I'm making a joke of it I thought I would post it here -- after all, it IS really funny.

Originally posted by http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/08/30/1835212.shtml?tid=201

Windows Not Expected Secure Until 2011, Says MS
    Posted by CmdrTaco on Monday August 30, @03:24PM
    from the you-can-do-it dept.

Rantastic writes "In a recent interview with Wired Magazine, Microsoft Security Program Manager Stephen Toulouse, when asked about their now 2 year old focus on security, comments "it's more of a 10-year timeline." He also reveals that he runs Firefox."
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Just another reason to get a Mac, eh?
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
      Just another reason to get a Mac, eh?
      you said it, not me!
      yeah, i'm mac all the way.

Comment

What makes you think Mac is more secure?
        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
          D'oh!
          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Well, first off, I've never gotten a virus. Apple has its own set of security flaws but until hackers start paying more attention to our small community, I'd call the Mac pretty darn safe.

Comment

Good answer!
              "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Good answer!
                Thanks, LOL! It IS scary to think of the day that we have to worry about that stuff too, though.

Comment

A Mac just is more secure by the vary nature of its miserable market share (no offense ment to Macs). Since Macs with OS X are based on Unix, there are now a lot more people fixing security problems instead of hiding them. Most virus are direct results of Windows security flaws.
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                    Most virus are direct results of Windows security flaws.
                    I would say most "viruses" are direct results of "Microsoft" security flaws (not windows). With the exception of the recent RPC (remote procedure call) vulnerability blunders, windows (2000/XP) itself has been rather safe.

Most viruses/worms seem to me spread utilizing either outlook, office, or internet explorer vulnerabilities that open up some nasty security doors.

Furthermore, a lot of people are now confusing spyware/adware with "viruses" and security threats. However, these things cannot be classified as "security" holes since most of the time the user either somehow agrees to install the software (either knowingly or unknowlingly), or is tricked and basically lied to by installing software that seems legit but is actually adding other components without telling the user. This is not a "PC/windows" only phenomena as it can affect ANY system.

... a lot of the problems are however caused by microsoft no doubt ... like in the rediculous ways IE allows things to get executed on the system that no browser ever should without explicit concent from the user.

And then you have stupid companies like AOL etc that install all this crap on unsuspecting user's machines

It's a MESS out there and I suspect it'll get worse before it gets better. However, windows as an OS is not that bad if set up and used properly.

Comment

I agree windows is not a bad OS but it is not secure at all considering the greatest flaw is IE and it is directly incorporated into the OS now and every single piece of software Microsoft writes uses IE in one way or another. Windows can be secured but the average use has no idea how and (in my opinion) thats what makes it so unsecure.

I agree it is a total mess and will get a lot worse before it gets better.
                      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Working...
                      X