Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering suspension on Comanche

I have an 88 comanche and would like to make it into a street truck. I would like to lower it so it would handle better. Here is my question. What is the best way to go about lowering it? I assume i will have to fabricate everything because i doubt there is a lowering kit for a jeep. Or is there? For the rear, which is leaf springs, i can use lowering blocks by putting them between the leaves and the axle, which is on the tops. This still leaves the front suspension which is coils. Any help is appreciated

snip or heat coil to get front end down.

I doubt that lowering your OEM truck will improve its street handling any. I'd recommend trading it in for a street-oriented truck like the SRT-10.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

LOL, nice Ted. An SRT-10 will do it.

To fine tune the rear height you can remove the second leaf down (from the top main leaf) from the springs, but this will also change the spring rate and make it bottom much easier. I'm assuming you won't be hauling anything...
      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
      My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

If you really want to break your truck then go ahead and start cutting springs. I have a nice vid of my buddy tearing his entire exhaust and front end after we sawzawed his springs and he hit a small dip. it was magnificent.
        Bryan
        2003 black TJ 4.0 manual
        front-OX-35 rear-OX-44 4.88
        Rock-It Man rear bumper + rock rails, currie front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by Kaffa
          If you really want to break your truck then go ahead and start cutting springs. I have a nice vid of my buddy tearing his entire exhaust and front end after we sawzawed his springs and he hit a small dip. it was magnificent.

Going that route is very craptacular. You'd be better off saving up and buying the lower springs. my :2:
          Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Lowering a Jeep is just plain wrong. Leave the suspension as is, or possibly go to Bilstien springs (1" lift, but substantially stiffer), and get stiffer aftermarket swaybars (like Addco). This will help your handling more than lowering it, as it would better control bodyroll while keeping all 4 wheels on the ground (you see lowered trucks bouncing and hopping all the time). Second, go with street tires over light truck tires. Mind you, although they will handle better, your payload capacity will drop but not as much as it would if you had slammed the rear. Godd luck with your project. I'd be interested in seeing the results.
            Last edited by king4wd; 06-08-05, 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling
            It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
            and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

I say if your going to go through the hassels of lowering it, just airbag the whole damn thing.

Comment

Please don't lower your Jeep, what did it do to you?

Comment

it came 2wd, thats what it did to me, and it came nice and light, and with a potential-filled I6

Comment

if you wanna lower it just dont.. its really to much work, just get some nice leafs and put struts on the front and rear, you should handle in the PAVED canyon pretty well you would be surpise how much body roll is resistant when you add struts.
                    ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
                    |ŻŻŻL--D|||||D 33"
                    ()_)Ż()_) ŻŻ )_) Armor
                    Locked and Ready

Comment

are you saying i should upgrade the struts and springs on the front? for the back.....do what, i dont understand, bc it already has leaves?

Comment

How much money do you have to spend?

I doubt there is a company that makes lower springs. I would suggest contacting a custom spring company such as deaver or national. That would be for the front and rear. Unless you just want to throw some blocks in the rear and call it good, which is a lame ass way out. If you want to get really fancy, air bag the thing. Ditch the leafs in the rear and build a 4 link.

I dont know what the other dude is talking about with struts? Maybe he's confused them with coil overs?
                        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

im talking about struts as in a sway bar, i missed used the wording, a sway bar in the front and rear
                          ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
                          |ŻŻŻL--D|||||D 33"
                          ()_)Ż()_) ŻŻ )_) Armor
                          Locked and Ready

Comment

Working...
                          X