Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4inch and 35's

i have a 4 inch with 31's now on a sahara 99 tj. how can i modify my suspension to fit 35's?
    99' TJ Sahara 4inch Fab Tech 31inch X-Terrains

Put a 1 or 1.25 inch body lift on there, that'll clear 'em.
    04 Rubicon
    4.5" RE Super Flex
    1" BL
    CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
    Currie Anti-rock swaybar
    35" el cheapos
    Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

As Nate has said, you probably don't need too much change to the suspension if you already have a 4" lift and a 1" BL should provide enough clearance.

There are a few non-suspension issues to consider, though. Gearing will need to be changed. You may need to change your wheel backspacing to prevent rubbing the control arms on full lock. You may need wider flares/flaps if they are very strict about code in your area. I found that my stock steering was not up to snuff even with 33's, consider a steering upgrade.

Sounds like you will have a rockin jeep!, show us some pics!
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

sawzall/grinder
        ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
        00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
        97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

A 1" body lift and extended bumpstops and they'll fit with no problem. I recommend a 1" motor mount spacer lift at the same time. You won't have to mess with the radiator shroud and it raises your oil pan another 1" above the rocks.

I'm running 35s with about 2 1/2" of suspension lift, 2" body lift and extended bumpstops. I've trimmed the flares a little but no sheet metal.

Next up is a little sheet metal trimming so I can lower the body lift down to 1 1/2".

Comment

well my plan is to upgrade gearing axles and 35's possibly lockers if i have money =p

Comment

what else can i do besides a body lift to lift my jeep but still keep it close to the frame. can i upgrade my suspension lift? add bigger coils and longer shock absorbers?

Comment

You could go with some 5.5" springs and 1.5" longer shocks. With a body lift and a moter mount/tranny mount lift, you will be able to move your t-case up for more clearance for the rocks.
                00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

when i get 35's will i have to get a new tie rod?

Comment

Originally posted by denten
                    when i get 35's will i have to get a new tie rod?
                    Eventually. Mine is tweaked from 33's. Currie HD Steering is sitting in a box in the garage waiting on my lazy butt.
                    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

If you are going to regear, consider doing it after you have decided which lockers you're going with and do it all at once. It will save you the labor for doing it twice. I'm assuming you are getting lockers because I'm not sure what you would do with those 35s with open diffs?...
                      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                      My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I installed a ZJ tie rod when I went to 35s. I've had zero problems with it.

Comment

Maybe I am wrong here, and I haven't seen it out on the trail, but if he jumps to 5.5 springs (Rubicon Express I assume) shouldn't he change to a long arm suspension. I look at some fo the 4 inch lifts and it looks to me like those stock arms are already at too steep of an angle. I really am not a geometry expert when it comes to suspension.

I am running a 6 inch long arm kit and I just barely clear the 35 MTR (they really measure 34inches). I am also running a 1 inch motor mount lift and tranny and t-case lift. With the one inch I had to move the fan shroud up. Not a big deal though.

What are the thoughts here. Am I off in my thinking?
                          Scott Poliseno
                          www.4x4garage.com

The trouble with political jokes is that very often they get elected.

Comment

Yes. 5.5 springs will very much suck with short arms. Live and learn.
                            00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                            97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

Currie has been doing this for years with their 4" lift and a 1" BL.

I had just installed my BL and MML for the last run. I got them in ahead of the main lift, and plan to get started on the full drivetrain conversion this weekend: D44 w/ARB and 4.10's rear, D30 with 4.10's front, Johnny-joint adjustable control arms and Currie 4" HD springs, rancho 9000's, adj front track bar, SYE and TW DS, Anti-rock, Currie HD steering, steering box brace, shockshifters, extended bumpstops, stainless brakelines, 35" MT/r's on Eagle Alloys.

l'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

Working...
                              X