Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift Kit Suggestions

The 2 big names I keep hearing for quality in the jeep world (for lifts) are Teraflex and Rubicon Express. Is there some other companies I should be looking at? I refuse to go with skyjacker just because of past problems on my trucks. I plan to go for 5"-6" of lift with 35"'s. I do realize that I will have to get an sye and new drive shaft, I also plan to upgrade my axels at the same time but that is another thread in another room. Oh btw I have an 03 Sport that is currently bone stock with the i6, maual, d44, and 3.73 gears.
    Question authority, and Authorities will question you.

I run an RE 4.5 with currie frt track bar and tera discos. I like it. It seems to flex well. It drives fine on the street. I think you will be happy if you go with RE.

If your going to run 35s on a manual tranny I think you'll want to think about 4.88s in those diffs.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I have been looking at upgrading to currie 9"front and rear w/ arb air lockers. I haven't decided on gearing yet I was leaning towards 4.56's, just to redeem a slight amount of fuel economy. I know I would get a better crawl rate from the 4.88's but I just don't crawl enough to need the extreme low gears. I don't know we'll see about that when the time comes.......

Thank's for your input.....so far the RE looks like the closest to what I want, just because they have the 5.5" so I won't have to purchase a seperate body lift......me being lazy....

Comment

I personally prefer RE, but have friends with the Tera lift kit & love it too. The big difference to me was that the RE kit comes with everything you need, while the Tera kit looks cheaper & then you find out you have to get this & that too to match the RE kit.

Comment

dr drunk, gears aren't just for crawling. If you intend on putting 35's on your Jeep, you will need the lower gears to return to stock gearing, for ease of driving, gas mileage, and to return your cruising RPM to where it should be.

My suggestion to you, before deciding on which gears you will purchase, is to go to one of the "gear ratio calculators". Tyres International and Dirtroad.com both have very good calculators on them.

Lower gears will reap you two benefits: 1. Better crawl ratio. 2. Return to close to stock gearing with larger tires.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Comment

I went to the tyres international and used their calculator, according to that to remain at stock overall gear ratio I would need 4.35 gears and it suggest's the lowest I should go would be 4.74 (not that I agree with that) so if I installed 4.56's I would be somewhere in between.

I still haven't decided.....my big pivot point is going to be coming in about three weeks when I head over to the high desert here in Oregon with some friends and have my first rock experience. I ordered a set of Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers today they should be here in 2-3 days and my boy will start on his way to being a jeep.

Comment

Working...
            X