Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks for 74 CJ-5

I'm looking for a shock for my 1974 CJ-5 that will give me maximum extension when climbing rocks. I like the coil overs but I'm not sure that they can give me the extension as others will. Doe's anyone know of a shock that will fit under my Jeep. I'm currently running 32" BFG tires. I'll be upgrading to 33's or possibility of 35"'s. I'm running stock leaf springs and a 4" shackle lift. I'm considering the Skyjacker Hydros or Nitros or the Rancho shock.
    Thanks for any advise,
    Dave

Your shock should never be the limiting factor in how far your suspension lets the axle drop. It is far too weak and will break. This should be left to the control arms. Also, the shock doesn't really do much for increasing your axles ability to articulate. They only help with how bad your kidneys will hurt when you get home from a long trip on a washboard road.

That being said, the direct anwser to your question is, I really don't know.

The best advice I could give is to flex out your suspension as far as it will go at each corner, then go with a shock that gives you about 2 to 3 inches inches over the measurement between the upper shock mount and the attachment point on the axle.

If you don't want to do all that work, the simple route is to look at how your Jeep is different from stock. It looks to me like there is a 4 inch difference in the suspension. So take a look at the shocks that are available for your Jeep with a 4 inch suspension lift. These should get you in the general ball park.

As far as ride quality goes, I don't have them, but i have ridden in Jeeps that do. The Old Man Emu shocks give a great ride, but they are a little pricey in comparison to similiar shocks.

Coil-overs are a whole different story. Coil-overs are used to completely replace your existing springs. So your shackles and leaf springs would be gone. Usually when someone goes to coil-over, they are also going with a whole new suspension setup with custom geometry and all kinds of custom fabrication. Just the mount for the coil over is a weld in customization.

Comment

Thanks for the advice mparker,
      It seems you really know what you are talking about. I belive you summed it up for me.
      thank you,
      Dave

Comment

if you go coilover, you would have to have them specifically built and dapt them to a 4 or 3 link suspension, a nice way to max out your credit cards. for shock measurements, disconnect your shocks, and ramp up one front tire and measure both sides, that will give you your extended and compressed lengths, do the same for the rear, make sure you are on level ground

that way you get the exact amount of shock you need

reccomendations well thats up to everyone, you like smooth or stiff. for smooth go with DT3000's, for a more stiff ride go with DT8000's. dukes69 has OME PM him and ask him how he likes his shocks or perhaps do what nailer did and with FOX shocks.

its really up to you
        Carlos

92 YJ
        GO VEGAN!
        volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

I see there's more to it then just getting bigger shocks to get a couple of inches in height... I think I'll go with 33" tires and see what I can get with a shock, going to coil overs sounds like a lot of work. I don't have a welder so i'm limited on what I can do.
          Nailer if you are out there........ may I ask what you did with the FOx Shocks ?
          thanks for all the replys
          Dave

Comment

here you go:

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3274
            Carlos

92 YJ
            GO VEGAN!
            volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

Working...
            X