Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soa/sua?

My plans are to SOA the front and SUA the rear for lift. Thinking along the lines of Alcan springs for the rear and stock for the front. Not really looking for lift, more Flex, and dont wanna do a SRS with buggy spring. So if SOA front will net me around approx. 5.5" of lift, then would 4.5" springs for the rear be good. Just trying to get a picture fo what the jeep will look like when done. Will it have a rake to it? Or will it be fine. Also plan on putting TJ flares in the rear. Seems like a good idea yet?
    Screw you guys, I'm goin' to pismo.

Oh and it should be noted that i'm unemployed at present and cant do any of this yet, just starting the research phase of it. I figure why bother with off-the-shelf kits when i know in the end that not what im going to have.

Comment

It may or maynot have a rake to it. Your front springs might be sagged enough to level out the whole mess. You might actually get lucky. Dont forget that there are other things that need to be addressed when lifting that high . . . steering, brake lines, driveline angles . . . stuff like that. Not trying to crap on your parade, but just something to think about. Oh, and If I had a YJ, it would be SOA! That would have been mod ONE!
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

s.o.a. is not an inexpensive lift. i considered it for a bit, and decided that there are just too many concerns to address until i runinto some money
        there is spring sag, axle wrap, major steering issues, drive line angle issues, etc....
        dont let me talk you out of it if you have the skills to fab up alll of these things, but if you have to buy it.... open your wallet WIDE
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Sorry i didnt further elaborate on this. There will be little axle wrap, the rear stays SUA. As for rake, thats where the question lies. I think though, rear TJ flares and SUA with a front SOA will "look" level but may not be. Brakes are easy, move the hard lines below the frame, Driveline well duh, SYE dshaft and a 1"MM with electric fan(damn mechanical fans.) Steering is an issue, Ive seen people run SOA all 4 corners and only run a dropped arm and be fine, but we will see. I dont plan on fabbing it myself, but i have a buddy with a jig for just this kinda job(its what he does on the side) And I am gonna be taking welding classes in the fall. So anyone got experience with this setup and seeing if its level. Other than the guy from Rev1crawlers i have no other pics of a YJ set up like this, Can anyone help? I know its not an Inexpensive lift, but for the price of an RE 4.5" kit and all the other things, i think this will be comparable. But thats not why i am doing it.

Comment

My rig is SOA front and SUA rear. I'm still tweaking it though.
            One thing is that my rear shackle mount is below the frame ala CJ
            I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

May as well show you a picture of how it sits
              it does sit a bit high in the rear, despite how this looks

Comment

link didnt work...
                ERIK

Comment

nice looing jeep... how is the steering on there? nd the return to center after a turn?
                  ERIK

Comment

Thanks for the assist on the pic. It steers fine, some bumpsteer. Return to center is good, no problems with it.
                    I built some custom packs for the front I still need to try out, and I'm undecided on what to do for a rear shackle, have some rangs and some revolvers. I'll see if I need the extra lift with the other springs and then decide.
                    I did pick up some Ford shock towers to go along with some Rancho 5012's I've got laying around for the front too.

Comment

Hey Rather, nice lookin jeep. My Q now is, what did you do for the steering, just a dropped arm, custon drag link, or Hi-steer? And is it the stock 30 in front? And as for that rear mount, what did you use for the shackle mount? Sorry for all the Q's, but you seem like the right person to ask.

Comment

Just a dropped pitman arm for the steering.
                        Stock D30
                        The rear shackle mounts are Con-Ferr Toyota units cut down to Jeep width. You could just as easily use Warrior Products CJ mounts, or the Slick Rock ones.

Comment

So with the added lift of the relocated shackle mount, what kinda springs did you use for the rear? Other than that i think that answers all my questions. Thanks for the input.

Comment

4" lift springs. Actually they're Alcan 5" springs that have sagged.

Comment

Working...
                            X