Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Sway Bar

Have done some searching and have not found anything conclusive on this.

Is the rear sway bar really needed on a TJ thats a DD? And if it is, is there a real benefit from disconnecting it while wheeling?

Thanks
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

I canned my rear sway bar when I liften mine....it is still a DD as well. I kinda wish I would have kept it as I am now considering going with the currie anti-rock setup on the front.

You will see a *little* better (I should say "more") articulation without it connected, but honestly, they are so small that I never knew mine was there, and noticed no difference when I removed it.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I took mine off the day I got it. I run without the front sway bar also. I get a little body roll having no front, but when it was still there I didn't notice any body roll at all.

I have to say that I experiened a significant difference in articulation when I took it off. In the end it is your call.

Jason
      The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the input

I can't stand have the front disconnect when driving on road, just my personally taste. I will disconnect the rear and see how it does for me.
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by loop choke
          I took mine off the day I got it. I run without the front sway bar also. I get a little body roll having no front, but when it was still there I didn't notice any body roll at all.

I have to say that I experiened a significant difference in articulation when I took it off. In the end it is your call.

Jason
          DITTO !!!!! actually loop choke took them off for me the second day I owned it.............I got used to not having them already

Comment

It really isn't a good idea to remove it on the trail. You really don't get anymore useable flex with it removed. What you will get is the shit scared out of you on off camber situations and it will roll a lot easier.
            1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

FWIW, all the coil sprung Jeeps on the JV photos from last weekend are running some sort of sway bar front and rear. :2:
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

This might be a little off topic but we found front & rear sway bars left on the Lockwood trail. Small ones(Samuri?)so we picked them up and carried them out. DON'T TAKE THEM OFF ON THE TRAIL, and leave them there. My $.02. Sorry for the off topic reply.

B&T TJ

Comment

They were put on for a reason. Safety. I have ran with no rear and an antirock up front which makes it useless. Antirock up front and stock sway in the rear is the ideal set up, unless you go dual antirocks. With out them you will have much more body flopping and increase your chances of rolling signifigantly.
                  ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                  00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                  97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Good to have some more opinions, especially when they disagree with the others Now I am really confused.

What really is confusing me is my lack of knowledge on suspensions. My thought was, if disconnecting the front is such a huge benefit (at least I precieve it that way) without adding much of a risk (a assumption on my part) then disconnecting the rear (another assumption on my part) would equate to the same. Now, I DO NOT run with the front disconnected when on-road, I am more concerned with off-road behavior and trying to get the most flex out my TJ in its current set up.
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Well if you run with any sway bars off road then you will find out real fast how easy it is to roll. You really need the rear sway bar.

Comment

I don't run a rear sway bar, and I disco the front. I don't have a problem with the body roll. Some people hate it, some don't. I have had my TJ leaning WAY over, never felt like the body roll was a detriment to me in that position. Yes, it will roll easier than if I had sway bars of some sort (OE, Anti-rock, whatever), but it's not like as soon as you lean over 30* your disco'd jeep is going to fall over....

That said....yes it is easier to roll your vehicle with no sway bars connected. After all, that is what there were put there for....to control the body roll and help keep the rubber side down. The down side is that they do restrict articulation. They are, after all, a torsion bar, which is really just a coil spring that isn't coiled.
                        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Take it off, throw it in the trash. Dont listen to these guys who scare you into thinking that you'll roll. Geeeesus H! Grow a pair, will ya?
                          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

You guys have to admit it...Chris has some pretty awesome flex! Hes been running without that rear swaybar for a long time.

Tam
                            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                              You guys have to admit it...Chris has some pretty awesome flex! Hes been running without that rear swaybar for a long time.

Tam
                              And look at his Jeep. He has put it over on it's side a few times. It isn't very stable.

Comment

Working...
                              X