Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift Kit Installation Help

Hi,

I am a new Kid on The block! I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ (1996 Limited) model, took it to Moab this summer, and trust me it did way well than I expected. But definitely felt that I need a Wrangler. So sold that off for a 1990 YJ, reasonably good condition. It has some lift and excellent huge tires (I dont know the exact dimensions). Now, I am planning to install a body lift or Spring Over Axle lift kit to get a real good clearance. I live around LA Downtown area, I would like to know someone around this area who would be interested in helping me out with these installations, or if you know any good shop which would do this for good price. I did talk to 4wheelparts.com shop in Redondo Beach area and they charge around 500 for any lift kit installation. Is it standard or I could find something cheaper? Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
    GC

Sweet dirty Jeep! Welcome aboard ... Your Jeep Rocks! There's a few guys on the board that are near you and I'm sure they'll post some more options for ya.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Welcome aboard!

I have not done a lift on a YJ but would be more than happy to come help you wrench on it. I don't see the need to pay some one to install the lift for you.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I know of and have had work done at another shop close to Redondo Beach (Hawthorne) called South Bay Truck & 4x4. It's a small shop, 1 or 2 guys but they know what they're doing and the owner Frank has been around Jeeps all his life. Last time I was there they had a YJ the just got a new suspension, Currie diffs and an V8 (GM 6.0L) conversion. Not a show piece but a trail rig, looked pretty sweet. They fab. alot of their own stuff too. Shop around, sometimes those big chain places can only do bolt-on-new-stuff type work and may not have the experience you'd like with an older vehicle.

B&T TJ

Comment

Big difference between installing a lift kit and a SOA. Which one are you wanting to do? Have you budgeted for a SYE and CV shaft?
          Really this is going to come down to how deep your pockets are (gears, tires, lift, etc) and how much tire you're wanting to run
          I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
            Big difference between installing a lift kit and a SOA. Which one are you wanting to do? Have you budgeted for a SYE and CV shaft?
            Really this is going to come down to how deep your pockets are (gears, tires, lift, etc) and how much tire you're wanting to run

I am thinking of doing SOA, and the guy who is selling the kit on eBay told me that probably I won't need to invest on SYE or CV shaft if I go with SOA and some body lift. This sounds contradicting to what I read at other places which say anything more than 3.5" lift should require SYE to avoid vibration? Right now I have 32x11.50 BF Goodrich tires, which are in a good condition so I am not planning to change them. Though currently the tires seems to be fitting very tight, I mean there is not much room left. I have some lift kit, cannot tell what is it exactly but it has RS9000 shocks. So all in all, what I am probably considering is:

SOA = 4 to 5" lift [$300]
            Body Lift Kit = 1 to 3" lift [$70]
            If required
            SYE Kit = [$200]
            CV Shaft = [$80]

Since the cost of the component is increasing a bit, I planned to save some money on installation, but it seems the SOA requires a good welder [at least 150amp] and 6 to 8 hours of time. I don't have much idea about Body lifts and SYE/CV. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
            GC

Comment

it seems if your only shooting for running 32s then you could just do the SOA and you will have plenty of room for the 32s and you dont gotta do the body lift.
              B R E T T
              87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by gunjankakani
                I am thinking of doing SOA, and the guy who is selling the kit on eBay told me that probably I won't need to invest on SYE or CV shaft if I go with SOA and some body lift. This sounds contradicting to what I read at other places which say anything more than 3.5" lift should require SYE to avoid vibration? Right now I have 32x11.50 BF Goodrich tires, which are in a good condition so I am not planning to change them. Though currently the tires seems to be fitting very tight, I mean there is not much room left. I have some lift kit, cannot tell what is it exactly but it has RS9000 shocks. So all in all, what I am probably considering is:

SOA = 4 to 5" lift [$300]
                Body Lift Kit = 1 to 3" lift [$70]
                If required
                SYE Kit = [$200]
                CV Shaft = [$80]

Since the cost of the component is increasing a bit, I planned to save some money on installation, but it seems the SOA requires a good welder [at least 150amp] and 6 to 8 hours of time. I don't have much idea about Body lifts and SYE/CV. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
                GC
                Can you weld? If not then learning on an SOA might not be the best idea. Unless you're planning to run more then a 35" tire skip the body lift and SOA combined.
                Pretty good idea on the price of the SYE, and they're easy enough to install
                Time to rethink that price on a CV shaft. They run in the $250-300 range usually.

Based on what you've said about your 32's I'd do a 1" body lift and a little shackle lift and call it good for now.
                I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
                  Can you weld? If not then learning on an SOA might not be the best idea. Unless you're planning to run more then a 35" tire skip the body lift and SOA combined.
                  Pretty good idea on the price of the SYE, and they're easy enough to install
                  Time to rethink that price on a CV shaft. They run in the $250-300 range usually.

Based on what you've said about your 32's I'd do a 1" body lift and a little shackle lift and call it good for now.
                  I'll add to what Johm said - if you don't weld, SUSPENSION IS NOT WHERE YOU WANT TO LEARN!!!

Nor for that matter are bumpers, or anything that can either

a. Break under load and injure you or someone else

or

b. Break/fall off in traffic and do a "seek and destroy" on the first $60K BMW it finds (parts never fall off and hit a $500 beater)
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY
                  You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
                  X