Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted spring hanger

Went to Big Bear this weekend, got kinda gnarly, slamed the jeep around, then I started hearing this new squeaking. Turns out I busted my passenger side front spring hanger. Shuold I get bolt on or weld on replacements?
    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Weld.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Slickrock makes a good shackle hanger. Check the holes and see if the threads are all good. On my CJ I had to drill a couple of the holes larger and tap them for bigger bolts. That was a PITA. If I'd had a welder at the time, they would be welded on there today. I think I broke several drill bits that day.
      Last edited by rick; 09-06-04, 03:41 PM.
      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
      My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
        Slickrock makes a good shackle. Check the holes and see if the threads are all good. On my CJ I had to drill a couple of the holes larger and tap them for bigger bolts. That was a PITA. If I'd had a welder at the time, they would be welded on there today. I think I broke several drill bits that day.
        Actually I was looking at slickrock but could find them for CJ's. They got YJ ones? I'll do some searching.

Comment

If they don't have YJ specific part numbers, I believe that the bolt spacing on CJ hangers is the same as YJs. So you should be able to use a CJ rear hanger for all four corners (CJ rear springs are 2 1/2", same as YJ). I just measured my rear hangers and they are 2 1/2" wide with bolt spacing of about 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" (it was hard to measure because of all the other junk I have going on back there). If that's what yours measure, then I'd say you could get two sets of rear CJ hangers and be in business.
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I'll check it out. thanx

Comment

Paul, they make them for the YJ - have them on mine for a few years. Necessary modification on the YJ - most of the factory spring hanger welds look like they were done by my Dachshund!
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
              X