Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yj shackle swing

[COLOR=red]click the picture for full size.[/COLOR]

ok, here is what i am up against. i want to get more swing out of my rear shackles. with the re 4.5" springs, which are quite longer than the previous springs... there is a problem with the shackles really limiting flex.
    it really limits the compression of the spring. with the boomerang shackles on there, it hits right on the frame exactly where the bolt hole is. [take a look at yours]
    it seems that if i switch back to straight shackles, i will then be hitting the shackle to the cross member. [still no good]
    i have lots of room for compression, with the long shocks in the rear, and this shackle bind is my limiting factor.
    i am looking for some inventive ways of fixing this problem.
    i was thinking of welding a sleve below the frame to achive room for full shackle swing. the only problem with this is i really dont want to lift the jeep much more.
    on the same token, i could do a shackle reversal system on the front of the jeep, and drop the rear shackles to the underside of the frame. this would bring the whole jeep up about 1.5"
    at least it would be even [or close to it]
    but.... again, i really like the low center of gravity. besides.... it is going to cost like 400 bucks to do it that way.. or more. the driveshaft, srs parts....
    hmm?
    any opinions or suggestions on this matter?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Re

Hey Erik

I have the same prob with RE springs. Maybe call their tech folks tomorrow. They have always been very helpful with my questions.

Chris L.
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Did you check to see how flat your springs are at max compression? If you have a bit of arch in your spring and your shackle is hitting then you still have a bit more compression to gain. If your spring is flat then call it good. You do not want your springs to negitive arch.
      Are you running bump stops? If so where are they at max compression?

:cup:

Comment

Originally posted by fourbangeryj
        Did you check to see how flat your springs are at max compression? If you have a bit of arch in your spring and your shackle is hitting then you still have a bit more compression to gain. If your spring is flat then call it good. You do not want your springs to negitive arch.
        Are you running bump stops? If so where are they at max compression?
        there is still pleanty of arch in the spring. it seems that the re springs are a bit longer than the other brands. i guess this is how they get the killer droop from sua springs.
        ERIK

Comment

well, i am tearing into it. here are some progress pics. i will do a write up on exactly what i did, and wether or not it did what i wanted it to do. the rear cross member will be beefed up in the process.
          LINK TO PROGRESSS PICS
          ERIK

Comment

More Heat!!! Other than that, looks good. What are you going to do for a frame strap for the bumper? go to the top?
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I'm always late

I know I'm late but here is what someone else has done.
              http://www.jeeptech.com/susp/yjsh.html
              [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
              In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69

More Heat!!! Other than that, looks good. What are you going to do for a frame strap for the bumper? go to the top?
                the welds are all on there nice and tight
                the strap is integrated into the reinforced cross member.

it is working well now. i can burry the rear wheel all the way to the shackle plates.

it was a lot of work, but it had to be done.
                ERIK

Comment

just in case tyou were wondering why there are welds all over the place in the above pic.
                  ERIK

Comment

ok, here it is. the fiinished product.
                    i wound up beefing up the whole cross member with some 3/16" plate all the way across, and on top. this will make the bumper a bit more stable.
                    i cut the bottom 1.25" of the frame away about 2.25" deep. [toward the shackle]
                    i boxed the end of the frame for more rigidity, and strength. the new cross member parts are all welded to the frame, and the existing cross member.

i took the jeep to the only place i know that i can flex it out around here and took some pictures.

when completely compressed to the bump stop, the shackle is about 1/2" into the frame.
                    so.. the mod was a success.
                    here are some pictures.
                    before

after

here are a few flex shots.

click the pictures for a larger image.
                    feedback is always welcome.
                    the rest of the pictures are HERE
                    ERIK

Comment

Attah Girl!!! Got any pics of the rear shackle while flexed? Looks good!

Edit: Nevermind, I found them. Good work!
                      Last edited by Dukes69; 08-02-04, 08:37 PM.
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

ERIK

Comment

Working...
                        X