Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex Joints (short arm lift)

For those that have them (control arms) where are yours mounted, frame side or axle side? I have a RE SF lift kit, they mount their's at the axle except the front uppers where there's no choice. The response I got from RE was "we like to have rubber at the frames for a better ride" and "the offset should be down, zerk up".
    To me it looks like you'd get better flex/articulation (in the rear) with the flex joints at the frame since they are mounted closer to each other.
    I check the Long Arm kit and the flex joints are mounted at the T-case skid and not at the axle. So I asked "would there be any adverse effects mounting the flex joints the the frame"? No, maybe extra road noise. So, time to goto the forum and see what you all here are doing.

Thanks in advance for any input, B&T TJ

the offset joint helps with downward articulation. if you reverse the arms you may hit the axle bracket on full flex. Not positive though, can't remember what the stock brackets look like.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I believe Brian is right.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

The offset is still downward (at the frame) but I'll check the clearence at the axle. Rubicon Express made no mention of this (clearence) but I'll check it out. I just wanted to see how others here installed them. I've heard both ways, nobody is really sure if it makes a difference, including RE.

Thanks, B&T TJ

Nice trail pic Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
          I believe Brian is right.
          Chris, how am I supposed to pad my post count (read:catch up with you) if you keep agreeing with me.:yay:

seriously though, Cetrov's arms were installed upside down, he ripped off a front axle bracket. of course, this is the front and they weren't backwards like you describe. so take it for what it's worth. (read:not much)
          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

The zert fitting goes up inside the mount.
            1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

At present the only control arms installed with the Flex Joint at the frame are the front lowers, the uppers are already that way by design from Rubicon. I'd like to see what Cetrov did or came up with and yes the zerks are up in the mount, thanks igofshn. Great feedback so far, I'm hoping to find some one doing the same thing or did and found no advantage. I'll try tonight to do a flex check, disconnect the sway bar, run one side onto the floor jack and raise it as far as it will go and take pictures of course. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has tried or questioned this.

Thanks, B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                Chris, how am I supposed to pad my post count (read:catch up with you) if you keep agreeing with me.:yay:
                Agreed!

I'm not looking at my Jeep, but If I turned the arms around, I dont think I will have enough clearence when drooping. :yay:
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Here's some pic's I took tonight.

The Wheel is 22" off the ground, about 1-2" from the stop, passenger spring just un-seating (need bigger piece of wood).

See how nice the joints articulate together. This is my point.

BUT, here's the issue, is there enough clearence? Is everything bottoming out around this point where presures are low/un-sprung? I do like the way the flex joints move together.

???? B&T TJ

Comment

I agree . . . it looks nice, but I dont think they need to work together to be functional. In the last pic, that doesnt look like enough clearence to me. Is that the MAX droop? or is there still some left in the shock. If not, then I can forsee a problem. I would suggest a loading dock, or something to test flex . . . thats what I do!

Like So:

Crappy Camera Phone
                    Last edited by Dukes69; 07-21-04, 10:21 PM.
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

i belive if you turn those around they hit at the axle have done this on a spring converse. and we had to turn them around they didnt let it drop enough so i would do as cris said to take it somewhere to test it be for you hit the rocks hard to avoid breakin things i have done prof. lifts i did lifts for 5 years.
                      I am the Tarzan!

Comment

[QUOTE=Dukes69]Agreed!
                        QUOTE]

Dukes, your killin' me man.

Anyway, yes, in that last pic, that's the clearance problem I was talking about. Cetrov's deal was a mistake by the shop. His fix was to install the arms the correct way, like mine and chris' and ted's and everyone else I know with RE SF arms.
                        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll try to find something to max the droop. The way things looked close up was that everything was at the point of no more travel, the spring was relaxed comming out of the seat, flex joints just about to touch the sides of the frame and bushing. It will be interest to see how much more height before the control arm actually touches the shock mount. I have time since I won't be hitting trails for a while.

B&T TJ

Comment

Working...
                          X