Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blkTJ
    replied
    first off, your Jeep will not handle as well as stock with any type of lift. This is something you must come to grip with now or just don't modify it.

Second, Tommy's right. Jeepin ain't cheap. Bite the bullet, spend some money and do it right. Do yourself a favor, don't ask that "3" body lift" guy for any advice again.

Leave a comment:

• TommyJeep
    replied
    Originally posted by rick
    Yes - by removing every body mount bracket from the frame and welding them to the top/higher on the frame... That's what you did on yours, isn't it Tommy? I thought that's where I saw that... Nice way to do it - cheap parts wise because you retain stock rubber, but man o man is that a lot of work...
    Yup, that's what I did. Actually, I made new mounts and threw the thin stock stuff away. Yeah, lots of work, but I think it's worth it if you can use the extra lift (38" tires, flat skid plate, raised fuel tank, etc)

Leave a comment:

• rick
    replied
    Originally posted by TommyJeep
    There are ways to do the 3" body lift correctly, but it's MUCH more labor intensive than a simple suspension lift. Definitely start with the suspension. Jeep'n ain't cheap!
    Yes - by removing every body mount bracket from the frame and welding them to the top/higher on the frame... That's what you did on yours, isn't it Tommy? I thought that's where I saw that... Nice way to do it - cheap parts wise because you retain stock rubber, but man o man is that a lot of work...

Leave a comment:

• TommyJeep
    replied
    There are ways to do the 3" body lift correctly, but it's MUCH more labor intensive than a simple suspension lift. Definitely start with the suspension. Jeep'n ain't cheap!

Leave a comment:

• JeepGal
    replied
    The bolts that hold the body to the frame do a great job because they are short. Add length to them, and their tensile strength is reduced. Ive seen pics of the body of a Jeep completely removed from the frame, because the bolts just gave during a MINOR traffic accident. Think of how an object in motion stays in motion...and apply it to the body of your Jeep and its frame.

Since this is to be your daily driver, dont weaken it by doing this mod. A one inch body lift is fine, a few of the guys even have two inches...which is pushing it (IMHO).

Do yourself and your Jeep a favor, and steer clear of this lift.

Tam

Leave a comment:

• goodtimes
    replied
    The reply you got at the other board is spot on. Run, run far and fast.

The body lift will retain your original suspension geometry (which will keep your ride the same---or close to it), and it will keepyour steering geometry the same, again, keeping your handling close to how it is now. But it will create problems. Transmission and transfer case shift levers/cables will not be right, radiator will need to be lowered 3", you will be putting extra leverage on the body mounts every time your frame flexes due to the 3" spacers, and you will have your frame and chassis hanging 3" lower than the body, compared to how it looks now (think spec. ed!!!).

You will find that most jeepers do not like body lifts over about 1".

Leave a comment:

• 61Willys
    started a topic A new twist to my lift dilemma!

A new twist to my lift dilemma!

Here's something I posted on another site this morning. I'm so confused!!!
    I know my last post was similar, but new doors are opening, and I can't seem to keep up with what everyone is telling me!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I use my 2000 TJ for a daily driver. She doesn't go off road except for the occasional hunt for a good mudpuddle. I want to lift her up while maintaining the drive characteristics she has now.
    All I want to do is fit 33x12.5's on her.

The guy at my lift shop said that I should do a 3" Body Lift. So I have a couple of questions:
    1. I saw online that the Performance Accessories 3" lift doesn't come with gap stops (?), bumper bracket (?) and will require adjustments to the radiator (?). What's all that?
    2. Will my baby look special-education with this lift? Or will it look okay?
    3. Is the $750 this guy quoted me for all parts and installation okay? That doesn't include the parts to adjust my spedometer and odometer. That's just the basics. Seems a bit much when I can get the parts for $105 online (minus the parts listed in #1, of course!)
    Please help me! Any input? Experiences? Pics? I am automotively challenged, and don't want to get ripped off, screwed, or made miserable!!!

AND THE REPLY:

RUN FAST...AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THAT IDIOT!!!!
    unless you heard him wrong...he's crazy...
    first of all, DO NOT do a 3" body lift...they're dangerous and they look like crap...
    a 3" suspension lift, on the other hand, would be reasonable for $750 installed...
    for $350 or so, you could do a 2" Rubicon Express Budget Boost, a 1" body lift and a 1" motor mount lift and run the 33's OK...and you could do all the installs yourself...
Working...
X