Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dcope17 View Post
    I set the pinion too close to the UCA not expecting anything to have even a small amount of movement.
    Wow, gotta pic? Is your pinion pointed to the t-case? If so, just rotate it down--it should be fine, and your caster angle will probably benefit.

And forget everything I have said before... didn't realize you were building the frame and moving the tank... that changes everything.
    Not a lot of room for a tank back there at 103". Even better, if he moves it back another foot he can mount a cooler on the back of the truss.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

I had the axle built with my caster and pinion angle factored in... It handles great on the road and the pinion angle is good. With both the caster and pinion where I wanted... I had the 1/8 clearance to the UCA. ( not at ride height but when its compressed ) I have switched the yokes and u joint to 1310 from the 1330 and now have more clearance.

I have a bracket I want to add in for some more rigidity on the axle UCA mount. Then I'll get the go pro out, mount it underneath and go hit the brakes. Then I'll get the real world view of what clearance I have.

Comment

What do you guys think About running Comp Corners on the street?

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn....40-ALUM-2T.jpg
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

You are going to have to mudflap it on the street. You can also try to do a semi comp cut.
          Fred just made old Betsy 3" longer and went that route came out nice. Built a pretty sweet looking rear frame, that's narrowed.
          Came out very nice. So when is your Jeep going to be Hammer ready?

Comment

Not this year. Nothing to much harder than S Hammer. I though when I retired I'd have more time. But since I'm the cook,maid,gardner,and baby sitterand handy man for my three kids I just don't have a lot of time to work on the jeep. So with the H&B, Desert Bar, and Hammers coming up looks like next spring to work on the jeep.

So Fred lets see some pictures of the jeep.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Ok guys my new plan is to kick the rear axle back 9" and the front 2" forward. What do you think? (105" total)

Comment

Well Curtis more is better, just ask Fred he stretched ole Betsy 3 times before he ended on a happy number.
                105" is pretty good, 111" seems to work better. Stretch it as much as you can once and be happy. The rear is cake rolling the front axle forward is a lot more work, but well worth it. It's nice when you are looking at the sky and it does still feel stable and not like it's going to flop over backwards

Comment

I want to stay on 35" tires and keep my control arms at 27". I think it might work best for me.

Comment

With 35" tires 105" would be pretty sweet. Control arm length doesn't limit where the axles go, you just move the mounts

Comment

Why the decision to stay on 35's? From what I remember, with your set up, 37's seems optimal.
                      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

He's already breaking parts on 35's though
                        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Curtis it sounds like you are turning you TJ into a Juggy...

Comment

In a couple of years we will be taking off in the motorhome and this jeep is what we will be towing. So I need to keep it versatile. If I go to bigger tires I would want a complete new running gear. So might as well start off with a aluminium body and a pile of tubing.

Comment

Working...
                            X