Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVerything but the ring and pinion will directly swap over on a HP Dana 30. You basically want the bare housing. It's a direct bolt in so all in all you will be out of the cost of a housing, ring and pinion and an install kit. Kurt is good at doing gears so for under 400 bucks you will be all set. With some shopping around you might get that closer to 300. In the end though, you might want to start thinking about going bigger. It's nice to run trails, park it, maybe tighten a few bolts , check oil and do it all over again without a worry.
    You have no idea how much fun I have had with my put put Jeep in the last year and the poor thing sure took a good beating.
    Now I can just wheel with abandon and not worry to much about breaking stuff

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to do a good build and get away from the D30 altogether. I'm looking into options, but realistically, I will need to want until I am in a happier place financially. When I do build, it will be big. Cause I like the sound of "wheel with abandon"!

Beau, I'm not sure what you mean about the Detroit. I think I just need the housing from the pick-a-part. I'll order the HP ring gear.

Ryan, I'll give you a call as thIngs develop.
      Last edited by Mike; 06-10-12, 06:46 AM.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

OH! I thought you were going to buy curtis hp 30 with a detroit and use your arb in it. My mistake. Yea might as well upgrade if you have to replace the gears anyway. I got my bare housing at pickapart on 1/2 price day for ~$50. I went ahead and changes the ball joints out with factory dana ones I got on ebay for a good price. Not sure but the xj upper or lower ball joint is different from a tj. Mine had over 130,000 miles so I just went ahead and changed them both because they are a wear item anyway.

Comment

I already have the DOM for the CAs, bracket and brace material, tools, drawings and layouts for the big Mr. Green build. hint hint..
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
            I already have the DOM for the CAs, bracket and brace material, tools, drawings and layouts for the big Mr. Green build. hint hint..
            Kurt, since you and Chuck built yours up Mr Biggy Green will have to happen eventually. Mike is a plenty skillfull driver, but you and wild Chucky keep upping the anty and things can only go so far before stuff breaks.

Comment

Alright, I pulled the axle housing in preparation to going to a HP D30 instead. Since I found the cause of the wobble (teeth missing from the ring gear) and it is not a suspension problem, I think that this thread has sort of reached an end in the "suspension" forum.

I'll post up any interesting stuff on the Drivetrain thread instead.

[/COLOR]

Comment

So the missing teeth caused the wobble?

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                  So the missing teeth caused the wobble?
                  I am assuming so. The axle was slightly bent which I also assume was a contributing factor (and probably a victim of the initial problem). The pinion was scarred in the middle of the teeth. Two teeth were broken side by side on the ring gear, so the pinion was probably getting slightly out of place with each rotation. When the full teeth met back up, I am betting that it was causing the axle to "thump" back into place.

I plan to 'upgrade' to a HP in the coming week. I'll let everyone know the results. Why is it that I never get the easily fixed problems?

[/COLOR]

Comment

If you drive them hard you have to fix them once in awhile. I just noticed my upper control arm bushings are worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                      If you drive them hard you have to fix them once in awhile. I just noticed my upper control arm bushings are worn out.
                      Ha! Me too! When I pulled the axle housing off the upper CA bushings were clearly shot. Stopping by 4 Wheel Parts to get replacements tomorrow AM.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X