Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolver shackles and shackle reversal

Anybody ever thought of or seen a shackle reversal with Revolvers on a CJ or YJ? I think the biggest issue might be front driveshaft length when at full droop? I would assume the droop would be similar to a TJ except in the forward direction... I don't like the idea of Revolvers in the front because it seems to me that any play in them as they wear or loosen up will translate into increased wander on the highway. Tonkadave - how are your revolvers on the highway? How long have you had them on there?

Here's what I'm thinking: Mount the Slickrock heavy duty spring hangers I have now on the bottom of the frame at the rear rather than mounting the shackle pin through the the frame as most do when reversing the shackles. This should allow the Revolvers to function properly. I still need to figure out how much lift the shackle will give when in this configuration versus the stock rear spring hanger. All that matters is that it stays close to the same lift as the rear. Any thoughts?
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

I had my revolvers for about 2 1/2 years now and no problems great on the hwy even speeds up 105 mph (i know I shouldn't be going that fast in a jeep) but hey had to test it I been thinking the same thing about a shackle reversal but don't know if the revolvers will work in the back??? I think the angle of the drop and the pinon would be all wrong with the revolvers in the back of the front spring pack??? I have a custom front drive shaft now it's a double slip one at both ends in stead of one long one. I dont think I've even come close to full extenion with it yet. If your looking for a better ride have you thought of a SOA with wrangler springs? It's ALOT better that 4in SUA set up.
    75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

I really was just looking for more drooooop... So if you say they don't make much difference versus regular shackles on the road, I may just get the Revolvers now and contemplate the shackle reversal the next time I smear my front driveshaft and need to have it retubed anyway... But you are right, I should wait to get the Revolvers until I am ready to get Wrangler springs. That is definitely in my future, even if it is still SUA with 4" springs. I think the same issues would apply as to any shackle reversal, but the problem is compounded by the Revolvers. The axle will move forward much more at full droop, so the slip must be much higher than stock. Where did you get your double slip front ds?

I think I will have this sorted out before the Rubicon, but unfortunately there is no way I'm going to get springs and shackles done before Moab as I originally hoped... oh well.
      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
      My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

You will get 9-10 inches of drop from the revolvers, but you need some long travel shocks and sway bar disconnects ect. The axle shouldn't move forward that mush as much as it is gonna drop down and if you set it up with a shackle reversal I think it would cause severe binding at the pinion U-joint. Think about where the pivit point will be? it is at the front of the jeep and as the axle drops it is gonna point the pinion at the ground instead of up at the transfer yoke. You can get stock wrangler springs (new) for like $65 each. I hgot the front shaft made in AZ in Sierra Vista at Cochise Driveline servic (602) 459-3051 ask for Ray and tell Dave sent ya (tonka jeep)
        75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Working...
        X