Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Broken Leaf Spring Emergency Repair

On our recent trip to Sedona AZ, on the Broken Arrow trail, I broke the driver side leaf spring coming down the staircase:

It seemed to hold together so I drove it back to my motel. Next store was an Orielly's Autoparts store. so I purchased a Helper Spring kit:

I jacked the jeep up so the spring was streched:

Blocked the rear tires and set the e-brake first:

I used the u-bolts in the kit to clamp the springs together:

In the bag of goodies Mitch gave me with the Jeep was a a spare pair of shackles and a bunch of bolts. I bolted the shackle as a clamp behind the two u-bolts. I didn't take a photo of it though. After I replace the spring pack, I may keep the up bolts in the Jeep if I ever have to make another repair like this. Hopefull not!

I drove the Jeep all the way home to Californa with no problems.
    Last edited by Roger; 05-17-11, 10:52 AM.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Congratulations on the fix. Glad to hear you're safe.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

quick thinking. i dont know what i would have done. i can honestly say i have never seen a leaf break until now. congrats roger youre my first.

Comment

Solid road fix. I probably would've tried to use zip ties and duct tape to fix it.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I have used duct tape when the bottom leaf decided to go it's own way I probably would have used the tape for your fix as well. Well, at least to limp to the parts store. Good find Roger. That almost seems like a good trail bag goodie for leaf sprung jeeps.

Comment

I have broken two leafs on my buggy. One in the front and another on the back. I carry welding cables and have been able to repair both on the trail. In addition to welding the broken section, I used hose clamps to hold the leaves together. After seeing what Roger used, I think I am going to make two plates with four bolt holes for the next time.
            Rich

Comment

Jason, you're right about trail bag goodies for leaf springs. I'm going to keep them with me.

Rich, I can tell you that there is a lot of tension there so I suggest grade 8 bolts and lock washers
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

That's a nice fix when you can get the parts store... When I broke the same spring on my YJ I took an axe to a hunk of wood, shaped it to fit, jacked up the jeep, ratchet strapped it inbetween the axle and the frame and drove home solid. I miss those jeepin adventures...
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                  That's a nice fix when you can get the parts store... When I broke the same spring on my YJ I took an axe to a hunk of wood, shaped it to fit, jacked up the jeep, ratchet strapped it inbetween the axle and the frame and drove home solid. I miss those jeepin adventures...
                  They miss you too.
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                    Like this? (this happened to a trailer (with 40" wheels) while on the Bradshaw Trail, which is a long way from anywhere....

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

That is one slick trail/driveway fix Roger. I'll have to put something like this in the "must take" spare parts list for when I take the trailer out, you never know.
                      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

yes! that looks great! Not as nice as Rogers trick, but does the job....
                        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
                        X