Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Pack or AAL

Im starting to look for a lift on my 85 cherokee and i was wondering if i could get by with the AAL, i am on a tight budget(what 15 year old isnt?). The jeep is pretty old so im assuming the leaf springs would be sagging(they look pretty flat although i havent compared it to any other jeeps). So is it worth getting the pack and how much would i expect to pay for 3" to 3.5" pack?
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

I would get a new springs, if you can afford it. I got my 3 inch skyjackers (coils and leafs) for like $150 and tossed in a spacer in front and a shackle in back. Look around, you might be able to find a good deal on some leafs. Good luck!
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Spring packs.

Look at it this way, your leaf springs were new during the middle of the Reagan Administration. Plus with added mods planned like bumpers/wheel carriers/racks/etc. (yeah I know you don't think you will have any but you will) you will benefit from the added flex.

I have heard AAL is not a good solution for any springs older than 2 years.
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

I love the way you put, although im not old enough to know about the Reagan Administration, Since it was before my time it makes me think its old. Thanks for the advice Guys.
        B R E T T

Comment

Im looking at getting this: Rusty's 4.5"" Spring Pack Kit • (4) 31-10:50-15 Dick Cepek MC II • (4) 15x8 767 American Racing Wheels • Mounted, Balanced with Center Caps & Lug Nuts "

The lift has:
          2 - 4.5" Front Coil Springs
          • 2 - 4.5" Rear Spring Packs
          • Front Adjustable Trac Bar
          • Lower Control Arms
          • Transfer Case Drop Kit
          • Brake Line Extension Kit
          • Front Sway Bar Extensions
          • 4 - Rusty's Hydraulic Shocks
          • Complete Instruction

Any one have any experience with Rusty's and their stuff? and does 1269 sound like an ok price?

Boy i cant wait till the money starts rollin in (reffing is a good job)
          B R E T T

Comment

My experience from searching the other forums (NAXJA, JeepForum, JeepsUnlimited) for specific info on Rusty's has been that most (close to 3 out of 4) posts are negative. Many of these are from people with direct experience with the product failing.

The Missus went with the Rubicon Express products which seemed to get better reviews.
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

I can't comment on anything but your tire choice. Here in Cali, MTRS seem to work real well. Of course if your budget doesn't allow it, it doesn't.
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Your XJ will be a lot of fun with a little height! I did that to mine, and love it. By the way, if you need to save some $, I have an extra adjustable track bar. Contact me if you need one.

Anyway, have fun with your project. Make sure you get a good alignment after it is complete, or that thing will have a nice wobble going down the road!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeepdoc
                  Your XJ will be a lot of fun with a little height! I did that to mine, and love it. By the way, if you need to save some $, I have an extra adjustable track bar. Contact me if you need one.

Anyway, have fun with your project. Make sure you get a good alignment after it is complete, or that thing will have a nice wobble going down the road!!!
                  Eventually i will be interested in the track bar. How much lift did you put on? im sorta stuck between around 3" and 4.5" i like the looks of the rusty lift but people dont seem to hear good things?
                  B R E T T

Comment

Ok, I've got a comment. Rusty makes some good springs. His flexy 4.5" are really nice. Very Soft. Work very well. Check them out on my friends XJ MadRedJeep He now has 6" spring on it.

Speaking of 6" springs for the XJ. Rusty has some scratch and dent Leaf Springs. $125 per pack. Good Deal. Nothing wrong with them, other than maybe the paint is on right or something stupid like that.

Then you would just have to worry about springs for the front. My friend got his from Rusty on the scratch and dent, and only paid $70 each for the front.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Erik

Comment

thanks i'll denfinitely keep my eye open for that.
                      B R E T T

Comment

I put on 3" of lift, but I now wish I had done more, especially when I hear that skid plate being polished by rocks a little too often!

Good Luck!

Comment

If you have never been there, go visit CT Jeep.org I know for a fact that there are a lot of XJ suspension parts for sale real cheap right now. Most of the guys will ship to you. Check them out.

Erik

Comment

Ive found a 4.5" rough country lift with new spring packs for 500 bucks with shocks. Has anyone heard anything good/bad about rough country and would you reccomond them over rustys? Thanks.
                            B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                              Ive found a 4.5" rough country lift with new spring packs for 500 bucks with shocks. Has anyone heard anything good/bad about rough country and would you reccomond them over rustys? Thanks.
                              from what i have heard... their name says it all. ROUGH i havent tried them, but that is what everyone says that trys them.
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X