Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark VIII Fan and a Chevy 350 TBI, help!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark VIII Fan and a Chevy 350 TBI, help!

Hey all! I hope you can help me out. I just got a great deal on a used MARK VIII Electric Fan and want to install it on my 81 CJ-7 with a Chevy 350 TBI V8. Problem is this, I am pretty sure I can get it to fit IF i am able to remove the water pump on the front of the block that the fan was connected to and replace it with one that isn't as deep. Is there something I can do to with the water pump to get this bad boy to fit? I have taken the fan and clutch off, I still about 3 inches of depth to get the fan to fit. If i am able to get a shallower water pump, it should work.

Any ideas?

Click below to see what part I am talking about:

Part Pic
    [center][/center]

You might look at earlier model SBC's waterpumps. I'm not sure if they will bolt up or not, but IIRC, they don't have as long of a snout on them. They also came in 2 variations......short and tall. The height difference is not with the snout, it is with the opposite end...the tall versions had more clearance between the back of the pump and the timing chain cover when compared to the short versions.

Of course, I haven't touched a SBC in a long time (10 years or so), so I may have killed a few brain cells since then, and this info may be complete bunk. But it may be worth checking out......
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
      You might look at earlier model SBC's waterpumps. I'm not sure if they will bolt up or not, but IIRC, they don't have as long of a snout on them. They also came in 2 variations......short and tall. The height difference is not with the snout, it is with the opposite end...the tall versions had more clearance between the back of the pump and the timing chain cover when compared to the short versions.

Of course, I haven't touched a SBC in a long time (10 years or so), so I may have killed a few brain cells since then, and this info may be complete bunk. But it may be worth checking out......
      SBC? What is SBC?
      [center][/center]

Comment

SBC=small block chevy. You could also try one of them electric water pumps. They fit pretty snug leaving quite a bit of room. I'm pretty sure that just about any chevy small block water pump will bolt on, but it might throw your belt alignment off.
        04 Rubicon
        4.5" RE Super Flex
        1" BL
        CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
        Currie Anti-rock swaybar
        35" el cheapos
        Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

with out the pully on the pump at it's current location, how will that serp belt work? I think you are going to more of an expense to use this fan then it is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginiaHunter
            with out the pully on the pump at it's current location, how will that serp belt work?
            I would imagine you could get a shorter belt and bypass the water pump.
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
              I would imagine you could get a shorter belt and bypass the water pump.

Well the fan won. I can't get it to fit. What eletric fans are you guys running with your Chevy 350?
              [center][/center]

Comment

You could try hitting a junk yard for a dual electric fan set-up out of a camaro or firebird. Not too sure how much clearance you have, but I don't think they are all that "thick" so to speak, or hit up a autozone, napa, or advanced and pick up on of the electric fan kits they have.

I had a 10" one on my old 69 truck as an auxillary when I was hauling or towing stuff. It didn't have a fan shroud and would get pretty hot without running the electric.
                04 Rubicon
                4.5" RE Super Flex
                1" BL
                CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
                Currie Anti-rock swaybar
                35" el cheapos
                Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

I'm using a Tarus 2 speed fan, with a 3 position toggle switch, 2 75 amp Boch relays, and an imperial adjustable thermostat. One position is hooked up to the slow speed side of the fan connected to the thermostat, middle position on the switch is off (water crossing, etc) so no fan, and the third position is connected to the high speed fan circut. So far I've only really needed the low/thermostat circut. I'm also run a SBC 350/TH350 trans setup in a 81' CJ5.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginiaHunter
                    I'm using a Tarus 2 speed fan, with a 3 position toggle switch, 2 75 amp Boch relays, and an imperial adjustable thermostat. One position is hooked up to the slow speed side of the fan connected to the thermostat, middle position on the switch is off (water crossing, etc) so no fan, and the third position is connected to the high speed fan circut. So far I've only really needed the low/thermostat circut. I'm also run a SBC 350/TH350 trans setup in a 81' CJ5.
                    I think that is the same fan that is in the Mark VIII or at least a smaller version of one. The one I have wont' fit with the water pump.
                    [center][/center]

Comment

Originally posted by JasonMonette
                      I think that is the same fan that is in the Mark VIII or at least a smaller version of one. The one I have wont' fit with the water pump.
                      Hmmm, is there a lot of room behind your distributor? How well is the radiator seated in the pocket of the front grill area?

My dist. has about a 1/2" clearence on the firewall, and I got a griffen radiator and brackets from Novak that sit really well in the pocket of the original radiator. I have the same H2o pump as you, and with my setup I still have 1 1/2" - 2" clearance between.

Comment

Working...
                      X